How To Pay Abroad For A Big Purchase, Very Big Purchase!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Jun 12, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

If and when, I do go for a brand new motorhome, what is the best and cheapest way to pay in Euros for it. I would prefer to par with a card but the exchange rate only benefits them and costs me. To pay with a suitcase of money is dodgy and illegal with the customs just confiscating it.
    Bank transfer is a robbers charter, once again the wrong way with all the charges and rates in their benefit. Is there a debit method that would give a good rate and safety, with me getting the advantage instead of the bankers??? would pre bought euros put into an account be a method where I buy at the best rate and deposit them in an account to pay at the time of purchase.
    What did the others who bought in Germany do to transfer the money.

• Like Like x 1
  2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Well ... I bought mine in Germany but certainly NOT a huge amount of money and Euro is already my money. I have taken all in cash and kept the bank paper saying where it was coming from . I think it's over 10000 euros you have to tell where it comes from ...My van was under that amount.
    I regularly have sore back . I just had a CONSTANT sore back, yep all the way to Germany.. til ..I paid :whistle:
    I don't think you'll have another way but transfer the money via your bank. Even Paypal becomes touchy over 5000 euros... and you sound more like having at least one more zero....

Amicalement

Frankie:)

3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Fair FX have a facility called free pay, which is a credit transfer facility with no fees. You may have to break up the transactions into smaller chunks, can't remember what the upper limit is.

4. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

The money transfer market has been really opened up recently by the online operators. I'd start with your bank and see what they could offer (remember that you can bargain and negotiate for one offs like that). Banks have been forced to drop their charges considerably.

Then go online to someone like these people who I have used a few times https://transferwise.com/?utm_sourc...eyword=transferwise&placement=&adposition=1t1 and compare.

Dick

5. Portland

Portland Funster

I did mine with HiFX no charge and the rate is seen when you do it and its fast. using LLoyds would have cost a lot more and they charge to do the transfer. also their rate was terrible and slow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if you are taking money into another eu country ,it can be in a tesco carrier bag.
    there is no limit to taking money into another eu country . if going out of eu thats different or coming into eu from anotherr country 10,000pounds is it . well you should declare it .
    mind these days better slip it in two carrier bags they arent as strong as they used to be.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Not in Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33057160

8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Has to be a FSA approved broker that keep your money in a separate account until payment made. Have used many, last in 2014 was EASYFX. Shop around!

Oh! and make sure you double check site legitmate by checking on FSA site! Phone numbers etc....

9. bjandlin

bjandlin Funster

If you know who you're paying, you could arrange to pay them directly, bank to bank via their IBAN No. Should just need to register their IBAN number with your bank.
    I paid Hymer recently this way.
    Barrie.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

I suggest you check out Currencyfair.com

I use them all the time to exchange, and then transfer, pounds into euros. Flat €3 charge per transaction.

JJ :cool:

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

• Like Like x 2
  12. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Just bought my new Flair with HiFX. Once account is set up you can do everything on-line.

13. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

if I only had that amount of cash. oh well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fenman

Fenman Funster

We have a French bank account but we use Skrill, used to be called Moneycorp, to transfer money. I transfer pounds from my Lloyds account into my Skrill one and then transfer it to French bank.

Skrill only charge less than £3 for transfer no matter whether it is £50 or £50,000. They give a good exchange rate of about 2 or 3 cents below the publicised bank rate - much better than tourist rate.

Takes a couple of days to arrive in France.

I am pretty sure you could open an account with Skrill and use them to tansfer straight into the dealer's bank.

Worth going onto their site to explore. https://www.skrill.com/en/home/

I have used them for 13 or 14 years with no problem. Though they probably ask a whole lot more questions these days due to money laundering regs.

15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Correct,
    Took almost 50K in used notes to Germany on Tuesday, all declared and bank papers to prove its existance plus a declaration to customs before arrival in Germany.
    Vendor was paid in part for the purchase in cash, it's up to them to make the appropriate declaration to the authorities.
    High value euro notes (€200/€500) is the way to go if taking cash.

• Like Like x 2
  17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i used to be bringing cars and campers in all the time . cash always gets a better deal.
    always has always will.
    mind i dont do it now . but houses have been bought with carrier bags full . one of my mates used to sell houses in france to brits . amazing how many pay by the bag.
    think at times his house had more cash in it than a bank.
    just a note of info though in spain away from the tourist areas it can be hard to exchange sterling . it seems now the eu uses the euro many banks prefer electric exchanges as they dont have to send the sterling back to uk then . noticed it starting a couple of years ago but last winter several got turned away from banks . ok in benidorm ,malaga type places but quiet inland banks just refused.

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Will your credit card company allow you to be in credit for a short period with the purchase in mind?

Credit card companies usually flag up credit balances and refund them, but it might be possible under arrangement.

19. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I would be very happy to transport your cash (old notes please)........ meet in the car park, Watford Gap Services... will be in the rusty white Transit van...receipt given
    (y)

:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Trouble is the amount might be when " leaving the EU" but certainly the Spanish were interpreting it as between EU states & 10k with a declaration on leaving & no paperwork.
    The UK old bill consider anyone carrying £1k a drug dealer even though it is perfectly legal. In Spain you can be in possession of 100k €'s without a problem.

What you have to remember is that in the EU cash isn't just cash:( , It includes promissory notes , cheques , etc. A myriad of things that aren't actually " cash "

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...controls/declaration_form/article_6140_en.htm