How To Pay Abroad For A Big Purchase, Very Big Purchase!! (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If and when, I do go for a brand new motorhome, what is the best and cheapest way to pay in Euros for it. I would prefer to par with a card but the exchange rate only benefits them and costs me. To pay with a suitcase of money is dodgy and illegal with the customs just confiscating it.
Bank transfer is a robbers charter, once again the wrong way with all the charges and rates in their benefit. Is there a debit method that would give a good rate and safety, with me getting the advantage instead of the bankers??? would pre bought euros put into an account be a method where I buy at the best rate and deposit them in an account to pay at the time of purchase.
What did the others who bought in Germany do to transfer the money.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well ... I bought mine in Germany but certainly NOT a huge amount of money and Euro is already my money. I have taken all in cash and kept the bank paper saying where it was coming from . I think it's over 10000 euros you have to tell where it comes from ...My van was under that amount.
I regularly have sore back . I just had a CONSTANT sore back, yep all the way to Germany.. til ..I paid :whistle:
I don't think you'll have another way but transfer the money via your bank. Even Paypal becomes touchy over 5000 euros... and you sound more like having at least one more zero....

Amicalement

Frankie:)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Fair FX have a facility called free pay, which is a credit transfer facility with no fees. You may have to break up the transactions into smaller chunks, can't remember what the upper limit is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The money transfer market has been really opened up recently by the online operators. I'd start with your bank and see what they could offer (remember that you can bargain and negotiate for one offs like that). Banks have been forced to drop their charges considerably.

Then go online to someone like these people who I have used a few times and compare.

Dick

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I did mine with HiFX no charge and the rate is seen when you do it and its fast. using LLoyds would have cost a lot more and they charge to do the transfer. also their rate was terrible and slow.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you are taking money into another eu country ,it can be in a tesco carrier bag.
there is no limit to taking money into another eu country . if going out of eu thats different or coming into eu from anotherr country 10,000pounds is it . well you should declare it .
mind these days better slip it in two carrier bags they arent as strong as they used to be.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
if you are taking money into another eu country ,it can be in a tesco carrier bag.
there is no limit to taking money into another eu country . if going out of eu thats different or coming into eu from anotherr country 10,000pounds is it . well you should declare it .
mind these days better slip it in two carrier bags they arent as strong as they used to be.
Not in Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33057160

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Has to be a FSA approved broker that keep your money in a separate account until payment made. Have used many, last in 2014 was EASYFX. Shop around!

Oh! and make sure you double check site legitmate by checking on FSA site! Phone numbers etc....

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
If you know who you're paying, you could arrange to pay them directly, bank to bank via their IBAN No. Should just need to register their IBAN number with your bank.
I paid Hymer recently this way.
Barrie.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just bought my new Flair with HiFX. Once account is set up you can do everything on-line.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
We have a French bank account but we use Skrill, used to be called Moneycorp, to transfer money. I transfer pounds from my Lloyds account into my Skrill one and then transfer it to French bank.

Skrill only charge less than £3 for transfer no matter whether it is £50 or £50,000. They give a good exchange rate of about 2 or 3 cents below the publicised bank rate - much better than tourist rate.

Takes a couple of days to arrive in France.

I am pretty sure you could open an account with Skrill and use them to tansfer straight into the dealer's bank.

Worth going onto their site to explore. https://www.skrill.com/en/home/

I have used them for 13 or 14 years with no problem. Though they probably ask a whole lot more questions these days due to money laundering regs.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
bank-20clipart-bank-robber-bandit-robbery-lol-clip-art-clipart.gif

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Correct,
Took almost 50K in used notes to Germany on Tuesday, all declared and bank papers to prove its existance plus a declaration to customs before arrival in Germany.
Vendor was paid in part for the purchase in cash, it's up to them to make the appropriate declaration to the authorities.
High value euro notes (€200/€500) is the way to go if taking cash.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i used to be bringing cars and campers in all the time . cash always gets a better deal.
always has always will.
mind i dont do it now . but houses have been bought with carrier bags full . one of my mates used to sell houses in france to brits . amazing how many pay by the bag.
think at times his house had more cash in it than a bank.
just a note of info though in spain away from the tourist areas it can be hard to exchange sterling . it seems now the eu uses the euro many banks prefer electric exchanges as they dont have to send the sterling back to uk then . noticed it starting a couple of years ago but last winter several got turned away from banks . ok in benidorm ,malaga type places but quiet inland banks just refused.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Will your credit card company allow you to be in credit for a short period with the purchase in mind?

Credit card companies usually flag up credit balances and refund them, but it might be possible under arrangement.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I would be very happy to transport your cash (old notes please)........ meet in the car park, Watford Gap Services... will be in the rusty white Transit van...receipt given
(y)

:whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Trouble is the amount might be when " leaving the EU" but certainly the Spanish were interpreting it as between EU states & 10k with a declaration on leaving & no paperwork.
The UK old bill consider anyone carrying £1k a drug dealer even though it is perfectly legal. In Spain you can be in possession of 100k €'s without a problem.

What you have to remember is that in the EU cash isn't just cash:( , It includes promissory notes , cheques , etc. A myriad of things that aren't actually " cash "

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

I would be very happy to transport your cash (old notes please)........ meet in the car park, Watford Gap Services... will be in the rusty white Transit van...receipt given
(y)
Barclays have already done that to me, before you thought about it.

:whistle:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes. its no problem your bank gives you a letter . you declare it at borders and its ok.
many dont declare it thats when they get problems .
its like every thing what they want to see is a paper trail of were it came from . ideally where its going .
buying a vehicle or house etc . taking money out of eu is another thing . even bringing it back is a problem if you say go to morocco. i took a load out for some retired friends a couple of years ago . as i was going and thety wanted to empty a uk bank acount. had no trouble either at plymouth or santander . all paper work in order.
saved them a few quid on transfer costs .

Reactions: JJ

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Another vote for Hi FX,used it this year in germany,money was in the customers bank later the same day but can take a little longer.Best rate of the day and no charges.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Forfx for me. Brilliant service - your own personal broker that enables you to tell them what rate you want and when it gets there they will change it for you. Transfer done to Germany in less than 4 hours. Free. I would highlight that you should plan to set your rate in advance. I wanted 1.39 and got it (although had to wait some weeks) when dealing with large amounts of money even a tiny rate difference is a lot of money that's saved (enough for our trip over in my case). Oh and advise the seller that the money gets sent over in a number of transactions (2) in my case.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Correct,
Took almost 50K in used notes to Germany on Tuesday, all declared and bank papers to prove its existance plus a declaration to customs before arrival in Germany.
Vendor was paid in part for the purchase in cash, it's up to them to make the appropriate declaration to the authorities.
High value euro notes (€200/€500) is the way to go if taking cash.

Bet that was twitchy bum time until it was handed over :D

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Bet that was twitchy bum time until it was handed over :D
Been doing it for quite a few years now, no real issues really.
The final payment usually in cash as any issues with the purchase can be discussed and deductions made if required.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I've used Transferwise for large purchases. Very easy to use and very good rates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back