Free Member
Jun 17, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since July 2016
Any top tips for minimising the sound of rain on the MH roof at night?
It was chucking it down on Friday night, and we kept waking to the sound of torrential rain on the roof - possibly conflated by tap-dancing pigeons/squirrels! Just wondered what others do to get a good night's sleep when it's raining? (Red wine wasn't an effective strategy!)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i quite enjoy the sound of rain on the roof, however on some vans, its like trying to sleep inside a drum. one possible idea is a rubberised coating. better though to train your brain to accept the sound as normal and calming

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Bill said park in a barn ;) lol it's all part of the experience of motor homing I'm afraid oh he suggested don't clean the moss if ya roof that may help . Take no notice he has had a bottle of red and in a humorous mood ;)
Regards Kate

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I like the sound too but it can be noisy, especially in a panel van conversion as we have! Its just one of those things you need to acclimatise to ... ear plugs might help!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When rain is forecast overnight, we just park up in the house. (y) And, you can leave the hab door open without fear of being gassed, a major concern on wet nights. :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Not a great deal you can do about it. Park to the lee of shelter (if possible), avoid trees (the sound is even worse through dripping), I suppose it may be possible to "tent" the roof using a large piece of tarpaulin, drink yourself senseless (mandatory for Carthago owners, who probably have a wine cellar), wear ear plugs or, if all else fails, leave your window open in the hope that a passing Frenchman will decide to anaesthetise you and steal the contents of your fridge

Personally, I quite like the sound

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help I'm afraid, I've got an app on my phone of different rain noises that I listen to when I can't sleep.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Having heard what I have about Dux, and suspecting his rubber coat is worn without anything underneath, it is when he takes it off that frightens me the most. :giggle:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
He dosent take it off....Just sort of hustles the flaps to one side. (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Our Auto Trail isn't too bad; we like it when it rains, but only overnight (y). Nothing better than being cozy inside when it's dingin doon (y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I guess the people that have sleepless nights are those that own a certain brand of motorhome who expect to see puddles forming within :eek:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I guess the people that have sleepless nights are those that own a certain brand of motorhome who expect to see puddles forming within :eek:
Suppose you mean they need to close the heki properly ? Cant see what else would cause that ..lol

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Ear plugs are the only sensible suggestion. A van with solid insulation and GRP roof will reduce it but they still have rooflights! The ear plus will also be useful when you're parked up next to other sound sources that irritate.
If you have a roof ladder, you could roll some matting over the roof but you'd need to tie that down for when the wind gets up.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Loved it on my last van but this one doesn't sound like rain it is like I am sitting in the drum section of a huge orchestra ... even the 'bounced off' rain as it lands a second time is louder than the comforting sound from my last one. I just pull the covers over my head knowing it won't last forever. . . Pretending you're in a desert where you are in the middle of a drought helps too.. :)

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We already have those in assorted colours:hugs:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We got used to it ages ago.. Hell, we even got used to fridge lorries parking beside us..
It is amazing how the human brain eventually tunes out all sorts of noises

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just where exactly or how far exactly are you taking this thread Off-Line me-ole-Toots.
Not just him ... @kev1 ... why were you biting the mouse's nose!!!!!! :)

35253.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Any top tips for minimising the sound of rain on the MH roof at night?
It was chucking it down on Friday night, and we kept waking to the sound of torrential rain on the roof - possibly conflated by tap-dancing pigeons/squirrels! Just wondered what others do to get a good night's sleep when it's raining? (Red wine wasn't an effective strategy!)
To be serious for a minute, if the noise is more prevalent on the skylights then make some pads for them (like internal windscreen pads) as this cuts out a lot of the noise and as a bonus adds insulation too. For the roof though there's not a lot you can do except make sure you don't park where anything can 'drip' on to you such as under trees, near overhanging building roofs etc, as this will make it much worse, also parking next to structures can make it sound worse too as they form a sort of 'sound box' to retain the noise and bounce it back.

Ultimately though it's a matter getting used to it which you will eventually ... but it will help if you change your view on it ... think of it as being on a lovely Caribbean island where it only rains overnight and you awake to a lovely sunny day with clear skies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back