Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Here on just our 3rd outing, on a sloping pitch, soft ground...how do we level? .....the chocks won't work..... start to sink into the ground.
What do you do?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Move to another pitch/location? If the ground's that soft I don't think I'd be parking on it even if it was perfectly level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
ramps will have a wider base area than your tyres, so if the ramps are sinking I would expect the MH wheels must be as well

In your position I would be using the ramps, if not possible I would either put up with it, or as above, move positions or sites if needed

It is now too dark to do anything, have a glass of whatever you prefer, or two glasses, it will soon seem level (y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We are in castleton , farmers field, not so soft, but too soft for ramps
I usually put my ramps on those traction skid tracks (here Broken Link Removed) to distribute the weight :)

Worked well at every Great Dorset Steam Fair so far and the ground there is REALLY soft :)

Reactions: Sue
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We are on 5 ... 6 occupied..will move tomorrow if they go and we aren't stuck in!

We were on 6 last time we were there. I think from memory we used our ramps but we could have lived without them if we'd had to. The ground was pretty solid then though.

Castleton is great isn't it. How many of the pubs have you been to so far?

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We were on 6 last time we were there. I think from memory we used our ramps but we could have lived without them if we'd had to. The ground was pretty solid then though.

Castleton is great isn't it. How many of the pubs have you been to so far?
Castleton is really lovely. I was surprised by how nice it is, just been to the Castle...only just arrived so a bit behind on that front

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Castleton is really lovely. I was surprised by how nice it is, just been to the Castle...only just arrived so a bit behind on that front

Ye Olde Nags Head and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese are my favourites (y)

Food in the Nags Head is great.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
agree with pub recommendations above, did the castle once, too many steps for not enough to see for me, I will wait in pub while family go up next time :)

back to your original question, before we fitted E + P jacks, we used Millenco Quattro ramps, some say they are too big, but we never had a problem driving straight on

That said we are rear wheel drive

Its all part of the learning curve / fun :D

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We drove onto a sandy pitch on a beach in Morocco last year shortly after a major storm. I walked the pitch to make sure the sand was hard packed and then waved the driver (Gwen) in.
As it sloped a bit side to side I got out the ramps and put one in front of the front wheel and one in front of the rear. I said to Gwen to give some juice but the van didn't move.
I asked her if she had put it in gear which got me a smack around the ear, and she tried it again with the same result.
I walked round the other side of the van to discover the front wheel had buried itself up to the axle - the sand had a hard dry crust on top,but five tonnes of Burstner had gone straight through it.
As it happens by this time we were just about level so we left it like that for two weeks by which time everything was well dried out and we managed to get out without too much difficulty.
So, if you can't get up the ramps, spin the wheels a bit and you might just end up level!

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
leveling is easy with large scaffolding planks and blocks of wood, mine are cut up railwaysleepers.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Turn your van in the opposite direction and put your ramps under the rear wheels..........the over hang creates higher lift and you can get nearer level that way.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I usually put my ramps on those traction skid tracks (here Broken Link Removed) to distribute the weight :)

Worked well at every Great Dorset Steam Fair so far and the ground there is REALLY soft :)
How do you stop the ramps sliding off the mats?

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Turn your van in the opposite direction and put your ramps under the rear wheels..........the over hang creates higher lift and you can get nearer level that way.

Haven't taken the time to think deeply about this - but it doesn't sound right to me - the van is level when the wheels are level regardless of which way round it is, surely?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Haven't taken the time to think deeply about this - but it doesn't sound right to me - the van is level when the wheels are level regardless of which way round it is, surely?
On most vans the chassis is not level to the ground most slope down towards the front, so it makes a big difference which way round you park.

Tip: If pitching on a CC site, park sideways across the width of the pitch - you get free heat when the warden explodes.:LOL:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It certainly works........if you were on level ground and lift the front wheels 4" off the ground how far would your front bumper be off the ground.
Now lift your rear wheels up 4" ....how far would your rear bumper be off the ground.......the bigger the overhang the higher the rear bumper.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
They won't slide off the mats. It'll all dig and settle and spread the weight :)

Been using them in that way for a long time and never fails :)
Ta for that will remember for next time.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
What day will you be trecking up Mam Tor ?:)
that climb is something else, when I got to the top I was carrying a heavy camera and tripod but had to hang onto the monument to stop being blown away, but the views were fantastic.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
We drove onto a sandy pitch on a beach in Morocco last year shortly after a major storm. I walked the pitch to make sure the sand was hard packed and then waved the driver (Gwen) in.
As it sloped a bit side to side I got out the ramps and put one in front of the front wheel and one in front of the rear. I said to Gwen to give some juice but the van didn't move.
I asked her if she had put it in gear which got me a smack around the ear, and she tried it again with the same result.
I walked round the other side of the van to discover the front wheel had buried itself up to the axle - the sand had a hard dry crust on top,but five tonnes of Burstner had gone straight through it.
As it happens by this time we were just about level so we left it like that for two weeks by which time everything was well dried out and we managed to get out without too much difficulty.
So, if you can't get up the ramps, spin the wheels a bit and you might just end up level!
Heyup Mike, nice to here you, hope all is going well with you, really missed you not singing and playing it seems forever maybe since Lincoln last year? that's when you got me up to play with you...:):):):):):) anyway wot do you expect when you park on sand 2000 mile away:(
Love to Gwen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back