How to keep waste water tank fresh? (1 Viewer)

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi guys

One quick question for you lovely people. When the waste water goes in the waste water tank how do you keep it fresh? And stop the tank from gumming up.

Sharon ps pick up new van well this Saturday!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another vote for the cheap cola method (y) As cheap as you can find as long as it's full fat. The diet or sugar free stuff doesn't work.

You need to make sure you pour some down each sink and the shower drain.

You shouldn't need to do it that often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We use one of those plughole covers that stops larger particles going down the plughole.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
White vinegar and lemon juice cuts through the grime

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Get youself a van with airlocks and you won't have any problems.

Before driving, empty your tank, pour diluted bleach down all the drains around 10 litres. When you get a chance empty.
I've tried other methods including cola orange even fenwicks tank cleaner.........and found good old bleach working best. We always clean ours on our way home from an outing.
We have airlocks in our new van so shouldn't bother us now.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Never close the valve, ever
Job done
Still stinks as the crud gathers at the bottom of the tank......been there, tried that.

I usually leave it open with a bucket under it and i have had the pipe actually block up with slime.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Don't pour the water used for cooking pasta down your drain as it gunks up when it cools. Try leaving the cooking water in a pan and see if you get this which looks like wallpaper paste after while and appears to be an ideal breeding ground for smell inducing bacteria.: View media item 15882

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Bicarbonate of soda (about 2 tablespoonsful) dissolved in hot water mixed with some white vinegar and pour down drain. it will froth up so use a jug big enough. Smell goes quite quickly. This also works with a bit of liquid soap as a good, safe cleaning product for toilets and basins.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
With the limited time I have left, I can't think of any activity I am less likely to spend any of it on than cleaning the inside of my grey water tank...

What's all that about?

Just asking

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
JJ I only do it when it stinks. With the limited time I have left I don't want a stinky environment.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Prevention is better than cure.

We use Dish N Treat to wash up (once a day) which keeps grey tank clean and smelling fresh.

Link Removed

40 SHOT (1L) DISH 'N' TREAT. WASH UP AND TREAT GREY WATER WASTE TANK IN ONE!

Washes dishes, then goes on to clean your waste water tank or carrier!

40 Shot Dish'n'Treat is a powerful formula dishwashing liquid for use in caravans, motorhomes and boats that washes up your dishes and treats your grey water waste tank in one. You can even use it in your caravans's shower to treat and freshen pipework

Concentrated formula saves on packaging, whilst the easy to use dispensing bottle incorporates a measuring chamber for accurate mixing for best results without wastage

• Proactively prevents build-up of smells in your waste tank by treating it via washing up - as the washing up water is drained away it goes on to clean your grey water tank
  • Environmentally-friendly and biodegradable with a pH-neutral formula
  • Reduces deposits and grease contamination in waste pipes and waste tank
  • Water softening agent maximises performance even in hard water areas
  • One bottle gives 40 doses (based upon 25ml of Dish'n'Treat per 10 litres of washing up water)

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
As others have said, don't drain nasty stuff into the waste tank and remove fats/oils with paper towel.

We have a slop bucket where all that stuff gets poured, and of course, disposed of in the appropriate way.

Using this procedure, have never had a smelly waste tank.

Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Never let the water you use to brush teeth into the waste pipe system. Brush teeth in bowl put water into cassette. We also put a washing up water into cassette. Very easy to clean against waste tank.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Still stinks as the crud gathers at the bottom of the tank......been there, tried that.

I usually leave it open with a bucket under it and i have had the pipe actually block up with slime.
Won't gather near the top/bottom if you never close the valve, it won't get that high, added advantage is it constantly cleaning the tank every time you use the taps ;)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back