How to keep towels fresh and dry (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Throw away the microfibre towels is the only way to have fresh smelling ones in our experience. Nothing beats 100% cotton. :)
Just like Mrs C says
She likes her men tough
But her towels soft and fluffy

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
We have accumulated a number of hangers that have the hinged clips at each end,often come with jeans trousers skirts etc
We use the for the towels and drying off anything that can be clipped on. They can be hung on handles rooflights etc. Take care of weight and if on the move don't let them rub on wall surfaces. Really useful if there's no where for a line or airer as they hang well from open windows wing mirror etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
In America vans you either use the tumble dryer or the drying cupboard in the ski locker!

I forgot this ;):reel::rofl:

Great feature, I can see that being very useful in an RV in the UK. After all, when you've had to park your super-wide and long RV several miles away from where you want actually want to be, in some grotty truck stop or lay by, because it's just too big to get any closer, and had to hike back to it in the rain (most likely) or the hot sun (less likely) so you get all hot & sweaty and need a shower, being able to dry those towels easily is a must have.;):reel:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Great feature, I can see that being very useful in an RV in the UK. After all, when you've had to park your super-wide and long RV several miles away from where you want actually want to be, in some grotty truck stop or lay by, because it's just too big to get any closer, and had to hike back to it in the rain (most likely) or the hot sun (less likely) so you get all hot & sweaty and need a shower, being able to dry those towels easily is a must have.;):reel:

I find that most that abandon their motorhomes strewn across their pitch, have a thin sheen of panic induced sweat across their forehead and sweaty palms, as they start to tell me that my RV is too big to go anywhere, as they attempt to dry their hands, by wiping them on their Rohan trousers. This is normally followed by the incongruous statement that they "used to drive Artics for a living" "So they should know" :rofl:

Three RV's.JPG

On a similar vein to being at a show and being asked "Whats a relay" from a person who's opening gambit was "Of course I used to be a BT Engineer":whistle2:

When my 27' trailer is on the back of my RV I would admit that I and my wife (who is a person that can also drive anything as opposed to "holding a licence) do think twice about some destinations. Corsica for instance, when we toured with a 38' RV we decided that having the trailer would have made things a tad harder.

There are many advance driving courses for people that don't understand or are too scared of driving bigger motrohomes

After all how do the lorries and trucks deliver to people and business's in little villages in the middle of nowhere?

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I find that most that abandon their motorhomes strewn across their pitch, have a thin sheen of panic induced sweat across their forehead and sweaty palms, as they start to tell me that my RV is too big to go anywhere, as they attempt to dry their hands, by wiping them on their Rohan trousers. This is normally followed by the incongruous statement that they "used to drive Artics for a living" "So they should know" :rofl:

15GCqhvdJWcVL9Vx6

On a similar vein to being at a show and being asked "Whats a relay" from a person who's opening gambit was "Of course I used to be a BT Engineer":whistle2:

When my 27' trailer is on the back of my RV I would admit that I and my wife (who is a person that can also drive anything as opposed to "holding a licence) do think twice about some destinations. Corsica for instance, when we toured with a 38' RV we decided that having the trailer would have made things a tad harder.

There are many advance driving courses for people that don't understand or are too scared of driving bigger motrohomes

After all how do the lorries and trucks deliver to people and business's in little villages in the middle of nowhere?
Like in spades! (No option for that level)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
As I said, :reel:

I get people asking me about how I get my motorhome, which is a fairly standard 7.5m coachbuilt so really not that large at all, to certain destinations. Easily is generally the answer! Sometimes finding a long enough space to park means parking a little further away, but not that often. The dreaded height barriers being an exception of course.

Getting to a destination is one thing, but parking the long RVs must be problematic - no matter how good a driver you are, some tiny little National Trust / English Heritage car park that's designed for a half a dozen cars is never going to take any large vehicle. But of course it all depends on what you use your van for, no such thing as the universal "right" van, everyone's needs and (more importantly) wants are different.......

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What, like this you mean?
upload_2016-10-1_12-35-11.jpeg

or this?
upload_2016-10-1_12-35-27.jpeg

or this?
upload_2016-10-1_12-35-45.jpeg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As I said, :reel:

I get people asking me about how I get my motorhome, which is a fairly standard 7.5m coachbuilt so really not that large at all, to certain destinations. Easily is generally the answer! Sometimes finding a long enough space to park means parking a little further away, but not that often. The dreaded height barriers being an exception of course.

Getting to a destination is one thing, but parking the long RVs must be problematic - no matter how good a driver you are, some tiny little National Trust / English Heritage car park that's designed for a half a dozen cars is never going to take any large vehicle. But of course it all depends on what you use your van for, no such thing as the universal "right" van, everyone's needs and (more importantly) wants are different.......
I noted you "rod" and my answer was TIC! (y);)

Little National Trust Car parks? I would rather put pins in my eyes! Another self serving "club" set up to benefit the Nation but run for the benefit of the employees? Think the 200m exclusion zone around Stonehenge except for the staff and their cronies!

Anyway rather get out and about on our bikes once we get somewhere. I'd like to say to keep fit, but more often than not to enjoy a couple of drinks lunchtime lol

And we always have the car on the A frame anyway

My mate tows a PVC as his "day van"

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
2 micro fibre towels from decathlon which dry quickly hanging in the bathroom when on the move.
Like the use of the trouser hangers Robert.
Following this thread we bought some microfibre towels from Decathlon, the weight and space advantage was obvious and also the impact on the washing machine. So having tested them at home we bought 3 pairs for the van and discarded the conventional towels. So far so good. First week away in mid April in Nth Spain was cold and not conducive to hanging out wet washing or towels to air/dry. We have a towel radiator on board with a small 200 watt electric heater inside which we switch through a standard dimmer switch to reduce the power consumption and make it useable on the inverter.
So now been in the hot sun for a few weeks and have a problem with these towels which I wondering if others have noticed. Hanging them out in the sun, even clean after one shower only, they come in smelling sort of burnt? If we don't put them out and just leave them on the radiator, as we do overnight for example, there is no burnt smell. We will try today airing them under the awning, out of the sun to see if its UV that does it as the radiator is very warm yet its heat has no similar effect.
Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Following this thread we bought some microfibre towels from Decathlon, the weight and space advantage was obvious and also the impact on the washing machine. So having tested them at home we bought 3 pairs for the van and discarded the conventional towels. So far so good. First week away in mid April in Nth Spain was cold and not conducive to hanging out wet washing or towels to air/dry. We have a towel radiator on board with a small 200 watt electric heater inside which we switch through a standard dimmer switch to reduce the power consumption and make it useable on the inverter.
So now been in the hot sun for a few weeks and have a problem with these towels which I wondering if others have noticed. Hanging them out in the sun, even clean after one shower only, they come in smelling sort of burnt? If we don't put them out and just leave them on the radiator, as we do overnight for example, there is no burnt smell. We will try today airing them under the awning, out of the sun to see if its UV that does it as the radiator is very warm yet its heat has no similar effect.
Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?
No, no smell from mine.
I use LifeVenture Trek Towels and they suggest hanging outside when you can as the UV reactivates the anti-bacterial whatever-it-is that they contain. They don't need heat to dry, and can even dry out in their stuff-sack.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No, no smell from mine.
I use LifeVenture Trek Towels and they suggest hanging outside when you can as the UV reactivates the anti-bacterial whatever-it-is that they contain. They don't need heat to dry, and can even dry out in their stuff-sack.
Thanks interesting, I don't remember reading anything to that effect with the Decathlon's. Anyone with Decathlon versions something to add?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
No, no smell from mine.
Mine the same brand and no funny smells.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When you say the same do you mean you have LifeVenture Trek Towels or the Decathlon ones?
Sorry for any confusion, I was quoting @CWH post so meant the Trek towel. Not much use to you, I know but it was a way of keeping the thread alive for other responses. (y)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We've used the decathlon towels for about 4 years now and no smells. We air dry them on a rail in the shower or outside on one of the window airer things.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Sorry for any confusion, I was quoting @CWH post so meant the Trek towel. Not much use to you, I know but it was a way of keeping the thread alive for other responses. (y)
So you have also hung yours out in the sun without the smell effect? I have queried Decathlon and will obviously be looking for an alternative, so it will be good to know that the Treks are not an issue.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We have used the micro fibre towels from mountain warehouse for two years now and there still like new and we go away a lot...
plus you get 15% off if with the c&mc....

Only it really bugs Mrs that she's not allowed to put fabric conditioner in with the wash :D2

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well I have sort of proved it must be the UV, as having them out but in the shade under the awning does not result in the burnt smell. Most odd.
I suspect the burnt smell is coming from the cooked skin cells which are what causes the smells. :)
We've tried several different types of microfibre towel from cheap to expensive but we can't get on with the smell they develop after a few days, even after machine washing.
Obviously other folk get on fine with them but they are not for us.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I wonder if problems stem from machine washing with powder / fabric conditioner. @Smith and Sharp 's post set me thinking. I have only ever washed mine in clean water in a sink.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I suspect the burnt smell is coming from the cooked skin cells which are what causes the smells. :)
We've tried several different types of microfibre towel from cheap to expensive but we can't get on with the smell they develop after a few days, even after machine washing.
Obviously other folk get on fine with them but they are not for us.
If cooked skin is a theory then it would apply to ordinary towels but more importantly when the microfibre towels are on a radiator there is not a problem so I think that may be a dead end. As I have said today they were outside in the air but not the UV and they are fine.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
So there I was having just showered, drying myself on my microfibre dishcloth as I had almost air dried whilst reversing my 12m RV into a space between two houses that I know is a great Wild spot once your i. However , once your in you cannot exit the MH but it doesn't matter because we can't park it anywhere thats worth going anyway!! Oh did I mention the Sat signal!! No? that another topic!! :whistle: It always amazes me how topics wander off.
Brian
By the way, 100% Cotton.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( Sorry is it only me that doesn't like the texture of them? They make my toes crinkle .. if you know what I mean.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
:( Sorry is it only me that doesn't like the texture of them? They make my toes crinkle .. if you know what I mean.
Not so much making my toes crinkle, but with returning to hard labour (DIY) since retiring, my hands have hardened up and I find that the towels catch every little nick, cut or piece of dry skin. Most irritating !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back