How to get Windows XP Updates until 2019 (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I know there are a lot of members out there still running XP, I still have 2 PC's running it.
There is a very easy way to do it, you just have to create a registry entry that fools Microsoft into thinking your version of XP is the embedded version (Embedded POSReady2009).

It really is very easy all you need to do is:

Create a text file with the following (you can copy & paste), I suggest you use Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Now save the file as a .reg file, e.g. xp.reg, do make sure it is a .reg file and not a .reg.txt file.

Now navigate to the file you just created, double click on it and it will install in the registry, you should get a warning message if you have done it correctly.

I recommend going to Security Centre in Control Panel and make sure Windows updates are turned on.

Re-boot your PC.

Now one last thing, the first update you need to do manually, click the start button then click "Windows update" or you can do it via IE.
IE should open with the update page which will run a check on your machine and download & install necessary files for the auto updates to work.

You will now receive updates until April 9th 2019.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Excellent I'll give it a try later this evening :) Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
was that embeddedPOS Point-Of-Sale or Piece-Of-Sh!t

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I may be being a bit thick here but here goes...

If Microsoft have said that they are not going to be updating XP, who is doing the updates?

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I may be being a bit thick here but here goes...

If Microsoft have said that they are not going to be updating XP, who is doing the updates?
Microsoft said they will continue supporting Embedded XP until Aril 9th 2019 ( see my original post).
Embedded versions of windows are used in Thin Client PC networks and used in all sorts of industrial control applications, obviously they do dot want to upset there high volume business users.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
XP has updated fine on the netbook. Just trying it out while waiting for Windows 10 to install on the main desktop.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks. We have an old laptop which I upgraded from Vista to XP some years ago and use very occasionally to run old software. Just edited the registry and now downloading 83 updates - which shows how long it is since I last used the machine :D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I know there are a lot of members out there still running XP, I still have 2 PC's running it.
There is a very easy way to do it, you just have to create a registry entry that fools Microsoft into thinking your version of XP is the embedded version (Embedded POSReady2009).

It really is very easy all you need to do is:

Create a text file with the following (you can copy & paste), I suggest you use Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Now save the file as a .reg file, e.g. xp.reg, do make sure it is a .reg file and not a .reg.txt file.

Now navigate to the file you just created, double click on it and it will install in the registry, you should get a warning message if you have done it correctly.

I recommend going to Security Centre in Control Panel and make sure Windows updates are turned on.

Re-boot your PC.

Now one last thing, the first update you need to do manually, click the start button then click "Windows update" or you can do it via IE.
IE should open with the update page which will run a check on your machine and download & install necessary files for the auto updates to work.

You will now receive updates until April 9th 2019.

Hi Lenny
Where do you save the .reg file to? Sorry for ignorance, but I'm not used to dealing with the registry!
Thanks
Catherine

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks Graham - how do you get to the registry to see whether it's updating or not??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham - how do you get to the registry to see whether it's updating or not??
You don't need to. Just follow Lenny's instructions for obtaining the outstanding Windows Updates. If that works then the registry has been updated :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Another 'thank you' from me .. works a treat ..

have an old Dell Inspiron 6400, circa 2007, came with Vista, (spit) but I downgraded to XP Pro to run CD viewing software ..

it may be old, but still going strong ..bit like me :LOL:

Reactions: GJH

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Sorted my little netbook a few weeks back lots of nav-plotter programs that wont work (without more expense) on win 7 etc (y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I must be the only one failing on this, it will not let me save as a .reg file only as text and it will not let me change it, any advice.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I must be the only one failing on this, it will not let me save as a .reg file only as text and it will not let me change it, any advice.
In Notepad, when you click "Save As" a dialogue box comes up. Change "Save As Type" from Text to All Files and then type the complete file name, including the ".reg" suffix.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
In Notepad, when you click "Save As" a dialogue box comes up. Change "Save As Type" from Text to All Files and then type the complete file name, including the ".reg" suffix.
For some reason it will not let me type and change from "all files", will keep trying.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.

I had this problem too! When you have copied the text onto Notepad or other, go to file save as and change from text to All Files then in the file type space it shows *txt which you should delete and then type in xp.reg. This worked for me!(y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I had this problem too! When you have copied the text onto Notepad or other, go to file save as and change from text to All Files then in the file type space it shows *txt which you should delete and then type in xp.reg. This worked for me!(y)
Still not done it, still will not let me type anything. It's not that old but I am going to check the gas connection.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Now I remember it wouldn't let me delete the *txt, BUT if I highlighted it, I could delete it! Try that!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back