How to download "Park4night" to Garmin?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Jun 19, 2016.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

I have downloaded "Park4night" to my computer. But having a job transferring it to my Garmin. It keeps saying I must un zip or something like that. Help please again.

colyboy

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

was going to try it , but it's not a free download..

ZIP files need to be unzipped.. double clicking on the z file normally opens/unpacks it

then use Garmin POI loader.. navigate to where the unzipped files are located

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I guess it comes as a compressed or "zipped" file. You need to unzip it first.

I suggest move it to a folder of its own then right click on it. You may be offered the option to unzip, extract or unpack it. Select that and it should create the file or files you need for your satnav.

If you aren't offered any options to extract the file, you need to find a program somewhere on the net to do it for you. Beware of course you might find all sorts of rubbish installed at the same time so tread carefully. PKUnzip used to be the popular one but it isn't free anymore I think but it might be worth paying something for a bit more security.

Given typical Internet speeds these days I don't know why they don't offer an unzipped version on their website. Zipped files are just so yesterday! :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

I didn't know you could download the pois? Cannot see them on the p4n site. Anyone got a link for them?

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Dunno about all the above comments.. I have used it a few times when making a rough plan of a trip and never once had a failure !
    The worst one for failures ( inappropriate parking room, tiny inaccessible yards, parking on very soft grass, down silly steep hills, down tiny lanes just about big enough for a smart car etc etc etc ) is Britstops.
    Several times we have been disappointed and very inconvenienced due to having to find an alternate spot for a night at very short notice when using the system.
    I am not knocking Britstops.. think over all it is great.. just passing a balancing view

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Why would you want to? Just look at the site put in the coords and bobs your uncle.

8. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

9. chaser

chaser Funster

When I used to do such things I used winzip, has that gone now?

10. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Still about but not free http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm
    Also, don't think it covers all the formats that 7 and Pea do either.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

In the nineties we always used to be downloading stuff and uploading web pages and the like now iPad and being retired has made it a different world.(y):)

12. Frederic_park4night

Frederic_park4night Funster

Hi Colyboy,

On most of recent Windows system, you can directly unzip without application.
    You select the file and with "right button" of the mouse, select "Extract All".

If not you can use 7zip.

If you still didn't success to install POIs gps for garmin you can contact me on frederic@park4night.com

Regards,

Frédéric

13. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Glad to hear we're great overall, but we would really appreciate it if you could get in touch to let us know which Brit Stops caused the problems. We rely on the local knowledge of the host, plus me "driving" the approach route on Google Street View, and always aim to make a note at the bottom of each page to alert members to things like narrow roads, height restrictions, etc. If you can give us some info, we'll double check and update the entries. Either message me on here or info@britstops.com and we'll follow up. Off to the Stafford show very soon though, so will get onto it when we're back next week.

Steve :)