How to attach awning to van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Linfordmobile, May 11, 2014.

1. Linfordmobile

Linfordmobile Read Only Funster

Hi everyone,

We've just bought our first campervan which is a Mercedes Sprinter conversion. It came with a Pyramid Columbus Superlite awning which we've assembled with no problems, but we're at a loss as to how it attaches to the van.

I've attached two images of the van and was wondering if someone with more expertise can tell us by looking at the pics if we're needing any modifications to the outside of the van before we can use the awning.

Thanks for your help.
    Katie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Merle

Merle Funster

I think you will find your awning is a drive away type, rather than fix to the van it is free standing with a link top sheet which probably throws over the top of the van and pegs down the other side

3. Linfordmobile

That makes an awful lot of sense now! Thanks for your help. I shall look forward to trying it out properly next weekend. :BigGrin:

4. Merle

Merle Funster

No worries, if you do a Google search for the awning you will find some pictures enough to get a general idea:thumb:

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

an easy, strong, cheap way of connecting a driveaway that actually allows you to easily detach and drive off site without dropping the awning or messing with straps/ropes is to add an awning rail and a kador strip adaptor

basically fit a C channel to the side of the van above the door. these can be sourced on eBay for not very much. then you buy the kit which includes a double sided awning bead and a figure of 8 plastic section. slide the strip into the awning rail, then use the figure 8 to connect the driveaway.

as i say, very quick and simple to use. the C channel can either be glued on with sikaflex or screwed on to the van

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vanilla-L...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1e8896c1f3 £23

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kador-Gus...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3f357bf1b3 £15

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Hi, welcome to the fun house! :BigGrin:

Below is the awning you have:

http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/25349.html

You can see in the below picture it 'eating' a camper! :RollEyes:

I'd see how you get on with throwing over the straps first as that might well suit you best as you will be able to get the tunnel (the part that goes from the awning to the van) nice and taught, something that you may have difficulty with if you have a fixed rail judging by some of the photos I've found on the web.

Attached Files:

7. pneumatician

pneumatician Read Only Funster

With our first tin top we used to fit the awning bead into the guttering but I can't recall how it was held in situ.

Our Drive away is fixed using the Kador strip and the roll out faceplate. As you don't have a roll out then you could try and fix the 8 strip to the van guttering or fix a C rail to the side of the van like a Caravan. You can now buy the Kador strip in continuous lengths rather than the 30" strips previously sold. Be careful as there are size variations.

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

When we were at Chester, we were parked near some VW's, one near us had what looked like a great idea for securing the guy ropes that would go over the van in your case

He used dent pullers, bought from Screw Fix, a suction device, looked like they held really tight, the guy ropes then tied to these, he fitted his just above the door, your' MH might be too high for this, but they could fit on the opposite side

We are getting some for use inside our garage as fixing

www.screwfix.com/p/dent-puller-100mm/16635

9. Linfordmobile

Hello folks,

Sorry not been online to say thanks for your input; as it's GCSE season at school, I've been mega busy, but now it's half-term!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. You've certainly given us plenty of options to think about. I shall post some more pics when we've settled on the way to attach the awning. :Smile:

Katie

10. automedon

automedon Read Only Funster

Awning problems

you need an AWNING GUTTERING, easy to buy on ebay, easy to fit on van side (make sure you get the height correct before fixing) and don't do what we did when we took our 'Liverpool Girl' on our very first trip to the Yorkshire Dales, we struggled for over 2 hours with our newly acquired awning much to the amusement and entertainment of nearby Funsters 'till one kind person quietly informed us that we were getting it wrong simply because we were trying to put it on INSIDE OUT!!

11. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Again from Screwfix, I use plate glass lifters / carriers.
    Essentially the same as the dent pullers, but with two suction pads connected by a handle.
    Gives that bit more bite.

Either way, easier than farting about with tent pegs.

12. Linfordmobile

I've just gone and ordered a pair of double suction lifters off Ebay.

As someone in an earlier post mentioned, the tunnel on this particular model of awning looks quite baggy, so I think the suction lifters, along with the guy ropes, might be our best bet.

Thanks for all your help.

Katie :Smile: