How safe is a bike rack

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Humsafer, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Have just purchased a new motorhome "Tribute 615" and the dealer (Brownhills) fitted a two bike rack by Fiamma. I have added to that a Fiamma 500 box. and the next thing I see in MMM is a picture of damage to someone's motorhome caused by his bike rack. I am aware of the loading restrictions but am now worried about potential problems. Has anyone any experience of these things failing in use.

2. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We used a Fiamma 3 bike rack mounted on the back of our first van without any issues. However, will go for a tow ball mounted one if we revert to bikes on the current van, only because the van came with the tow bar and no pre-installed cycle rack (no point in drilling holes if we don't need to).

3. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Thanks Rowley, reassuring

4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

If fitted to mounting points should be fine unless you overload it !!!

5. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Yes, that is obviously key. We did not use electric bikes...

6. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Does it Have a Loading Limit specified? One Assumes that Brownhills fitted it to the Manufactures approved Points?

Pete

7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

or you reverse into a wall.

8. musson

musson Funster

We have 2 electric bikes on ours with batteries taken out no problems rack rated at 60kg.

9. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Am assuming Brownhills fitted it correctly and it does have load limits which I will adhere to inc

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We had a Fiamma ( I think) 4 bike rack fitted to our first motorhome.

During a trip across Spain a few years back the rack started coming away from the motorhome so we had to take the bikes off and load them into the van ( not a great experience). No damage to the van but we took it back to the dealers who fitted more substantial brackets and no issues after that.

I think the damage was done going up and down the ferry ramp because the bikes were bouncing up and down quite a lot and even to my non technical mind that must increase the load on the rack.

11. Humsafer

Humsafer Funster

Thanks everyone, looks as if it can happen but not often. I guess the secret is to watch the weights very carefully.(out with the bathroom scales again)

12. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

I don't think there is any problem with the rack, it all depends on the fitting. We assumed ours had been fitted by the manufacturer so trusted it until one morning I noticed that one of the top fittings was away from the van. It turned out that it had been fitted with wood screws into the wooden beams put in by the manufacturers of the van. So obviously had been fitted after by some cowboy. Now fitted with stainless coach bolts drilled through and large washers behind. So I am now comfortable with using it. Moral: Don't assume anything!

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

They are fine until you hit a sleeping policeman you didn't see at speed. This is when they get damaged even if you are within the weight restrictions. Drive carefully and you will be safe.

14. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We've used a 4 bike rack on an Autotrail with 5 on it and no problems. 2 adult, 3 kids bikes. Always make sure the heaviest bikes are closest to the van. Yet I've seen a 2 bike rack pull out leaving considerable damage as a result of poor fitting. We now prefer the tow bar bike racks as you can take them off when not needed. That said, a properly fitted and loaded bike rack should do many thousands of miles without a problem.

16. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I saw a van at one of the shows that looked like someone had attacked the rear wall with a ball pein hammer it was just incorrect loading of the bike rack and the handlebars had played havoc with the motion of driving ,such a shame.