How Safe Germany And Austria ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cobweb, May 8, 2015.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts . In UK even on campsites seems to be just as bad as France . We will be spending a lot of time in Germany and Austria this spring and just wonder what the statistics are We have toured France as well as Germany in the past and had no problems having taken normal precautions of alarming the van and securing bikes when unattended .....it just seems that lately there has been an increase of posts about various thefts and robberies .

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

No problems on our recent German trip, a mixture of aires and campsites. We didn't fancy using the bikes much around Amsterdam though, but that's neither Germany nor Austria.

As you say, rack 'em up, lock them and alarm your van - what more can you reasonably do?

If it's a major concern, why not spend a few quid on a pair of cranky old black sit up and beg bikes that nobody in their right mind would want to nick? That seems to be the thinking in Dutch cities.

3. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Stayed in Munich several years running, in fact one year Chelsea were playing Bayern in the champions league when we arrived. We felt perfectly safe, even though there was a lot of inter team banter going on, and the buses were completely packed.

4. iandsm

iandsm Funster

With respect, to say that "Hardly a day goes past without reports of break ins or Bike thefts" is a hell of an overstatement. There are thefts and break ins of course but nowhere near as many as you suggest. I think one should always take reasonable precautions like using the alarm and locking things up, and moving on if a place looks a bit risky or you don't feel comfortable. But, its more important to enjoy your trips than spoil them by worrying too much. We have been touring Germany and France for four months a year for the last six years and had one attempted break in, not too bad, and of course we are insured.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Especially not in Munich! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi . Maybe I was making a bit of an overstatement but it was triggered by reading the post on overseas travel France about 4 bikes stolen all locked and chained from an aire at Carnon plage France and another member had a tale of theft of bikes in Belgium .
    Yet another member had a tale of theft inCap Breton Aire in France . That comes after speaking to a bike dealer in York who said that a bike theft in the town was daily occurrence . Also there was a report on this forum a few days ago of a similar bike theft as well a break in on a CCC site over the bank holiday . To my mind that is a lot !

• Like Like x 1
  8. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

what about the thousands of journeys undertaken each day/year that have no problems, then the number you are talking about are miniscule.

• Like Like x 2
  9. parknride

parknride Funster

Germany seems safer to me, not saying it actually is as i don't know any statistics. Just gut feeling. Still keep stuff locked and hidden though, take no chances, present no opportunies. You have to accept what will be will be at some point or you wouldn't go anywhere.

10. Cobweb

Cobweb

I don't actually know how many members this forum has and how many have had thefts or break ins . I suppose the statistics would be interesting and might be quite reassuring if anyone had the time to gather the data .

11. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I think you see the problem a little out of proportion, You don't seem reassured but please don't let the small potential loss of a bike worry you to the extent that you cant enjoy your motor homing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

This book will keep you safe of your motorhome travels. Whether travelling at home or abroad, the information within is the key to your personal safety and security. (y)

Written exclusively for motorhomers, it show you how to minimise the threat to you, your family, and motorhome by making you aware of the security risks and offering practical advice on implementing simple preventative strategies. buy it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorhome-Security-Handbook-James-Brown-ebook/dp/B005CDDHQY
    Or get it a bit cheaper here. http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-security-handbook-ebook/

13. madgeD

madgeD Funster

We have been going to Germany for the last 8 years with no problems at all, Austria and Switzerland as well, this year we will probably be in France and Holland most of the 6 weeks but take the same precautions as anywhere, lock the bikes anywhere we leave them , and when back at the van use a loop that is linked into the alarm system on a night through both bikes.
    We have always felt very safe in fact probably more so than in the U.K.

14. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Can't stand bad losers ! :boxing::boxing::boxing:

15. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

I had my bike stolen in Germany

in 1969! I'd chained it up outside the Evangelische Krankenhaus in Lippstadt while I went inside to work. When I came out it was gone! I had to walk home!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

• Like Like x 2
  16. rebellious 1

rebellious 1 Funster

The fear of crime seems always to be worse than the the actual incidence of crime,that is the human nature.
    I always feel secure in both Austria and Germany,even at night in large cities,but I have spent years working in urban city areas in the Midlands.
    Take utmost precautions,be aware of surroundings and circumstances,and follow your instincts and you will be perfectly alright.Do not let your life be affected by undue concerns that may never happen.
    Just keep a positive attitude.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

In Germany just now. There are so many bikes about, everywhere, they live on bikes, Why would they need to nick mine. I think I'd be just more than unlucky to be picked on.
    Their bikes are what I'd call Panzermobikes, so over engineered they are laughable, mine looks like a weed ! Don't think it would appeal to their toerags.

18. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Herr Toerag to you........:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We were in one of Munich's oldest bierkellars the other day enjoying a pint of weissebier and a plate of the local dish which includes (of course) sauerkraut. I happened to glance up at the lightshade above the trestle table and couldn't help noticing it was made of skin.

I thought it best not to pass comment.

20. 955matt

955matt Funster

Been to Germany , France many time's all over the place ,3 Bikes on the back wild camping and using Aries in city's and in the country no probs here.

Germany is a stunning country, clean and very friendly

Matt

• Like Like x 4