How safe are your roads? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I would suggest that I pay for the use of the roads, cyclists dont, so they should give ME priority..

For the record, I own two cars and a motorhome. Until I retired I paid 40% tax. Do I contribute enough to have a voice? 'Road tax' is a nonsense -your Vehicle Excise Duty goes into the Govt pot along with the VAT, income tax etc that you pay. You might as well argue that the tax you pay on beer should only be used to maintain pubs.

Sixteen cyclists have died on the roads this year - in any collision we are going to die and motorists are not. That is why motorists should have a duty of care towards more vulnerable road users. Yes there are dumb and careless cyclists - but their mistakes and recklessness will only result in them killing themselves. Your mistakes and recklessness kill others. Please bear that in mind next time you approach someone on a bike.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The plain fact is that we drive agresivly, too fast and ignore road markings in this country.

It is a pleasure to drive through France where a solid white line is treated like a wall even if the other lane is clear. I think the way french roads are laid out and marked are far superior to British roads,

Some of our roads are too wide with two lanes where a narrower third lane layout could be applied with alternative overtaking lanes in each direction. Kerbs instead of double white lines would cut down on unsafe overtaking. In france it is common to see a road with two lanes in one direction and a kerb separates the oncomming traffic from the overtaking vehicles. This then reverses after a distance to permit the other side to overtake in an orderly fashion.

We lack lane discipline and particularly on motorways don't get into the correct lane with time with to spare. Drivers insist on staying in the outside lane/s until the last second, then play Russian roulette to get onto the exit slip road.

It is prohibited for cars to race on UK roads, why should it be OK for cyclists to race on busy roads.

One thing we always remark about on returning to the UK is the skid marks approaching roundabouts. Drivers just don't slow down in time when approaching hazards in this country. In France they are forced to by the road layouts.

We love the UK but hate driving from Dover as it is such a culture shock.

John

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Paul / Ericonabike,

As a keen runner and a cyclist John, your description and opinion relate to the many many motorists im afraid.

Cant disagree with that Paul, but it also applies in part to many others.

The point I'm trying to make here is that awareness and consideration is required by ALL road users, not just motorists.
Some motorist's "I must go as fast as possible" attitude along with some cyclists attitude of "you must give way to me because I'm on a bike" causes probably as many accidents as each other.
In all cases we are talking here about "some", not "all" by any means.
Attitudes of road users need to take into account all users.

The point about paying tax was directed at the race marshalls who have the affrontery to TELL folk what / what not to do on the road in order that they can have a bike race.
ASKING would be nice.
I have had one of these people flag me down and TELL me that due to a bike race on the public road, I must not drive faster than 15mph for the next 4 miles.
Gets the back up.

I also have three vehicles, all taxed etc., but dont see what the number of vehicles I have has to do with suggesting that everyone should exercise care and consideration.
I dont need a lesson in where taxation goes, I'm aware that what we pay is not a tax on roads but a tax on vehicle ownership, and that it goes into a general pot.
Tax is none the less paid by the vehicle owner, not the cyclist.
As well as motorists being aware of cyclists, runners etc they should also give be aware of and give consideration to motorists.

Generally, a runner or cyclist can stop or swerve a lot quicker than a vehicle can.

Consideration by ALL is what I am advocating.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Hi Jim
Cyclists are not a Menace,they chose to use a differant mode of transport and should be given due care and attension,the same as any road user
They are not a menace!!!!!
If you still think they are then prehaps that menace lays within?

Sorry its a brief reply but im just off out on the bike

Regards
Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The plain fact is that we drive agresivly, too fast and ignore road markings in this country.

It is a pleasure to drive through France where a solid white line is treated like a wall even if the other lane is clear. I think the way french roads are laid out and marked are far superior to British roads,

Some of our roads are too wide with two lanes where a narrower third lane layout could be applied with alternative overtaking lanes in each direction. Kerbs instead of double white lines would cut down on unsafe overtaking. In france it is common to see a road with two lanes in one direction and a kerb separates the oncomming traffic from the overtaking vehicles. This then reverses after a distance to permit the other side to overtake in an orderly fashion.

We lack lane discipline and particularly on motorways don't get into the correct lane with time with to spare. Drivers insist on staying in the outside lane/s until the last second, then play Russian roulette to get onto the exit slip road.

It is prohibited for cars to race on UK roads, why should it be OK for cyclists to race on busy roads.

One thing we always remark about on returning to the UK is the skid marks approaching roundabouts. Drivers just don't slow down in time when approaching hazards in this country. In France they are forced to by the road layouts.

We love the UK but hate driving from Dover as it is such a culture shock.

John

I agree that it is a pleasure to drive in France John, but our perceptions are not borne out by the facts ... and in my 45 years of driving I've only had one serious accident .. and that was was in France .. the other party was 100% to blame..

Statistically, the UK has the safest roads in Europe .. and despite better roads and lower traffic densities, the fatality rate in France is nearly 300% higher than the UK ..

Link Removed

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim
Cyclists are not a Menace,they chose to use a differant mode of transport and should be given due care and attension,the same as any road user
They are not a menace!!!!!
If you still think they are then prehaps that menace lays within?

Sorry its a brief reply but im just off out on the bike

Regards
Tony

Its all about opinions. My opinion is that cyclists are a menace and shouldn't be allowed on the roads. I'm not even gonna go into why because there are that many reasons.
Jim
:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I agree that it is a pleasure to drive in France John, but our perceptions are not borne out by the facts ... and in my 45 years of driving I've only had one serious accident .. and that was was in France .. the other party was 100% to blame..

Statistically, the UK has the safest roads in Europe .. and despite better roads and lower traffic densities, the fatality rate in France is nearly 300% higher than the UK ..

Link Removed

I don't agree that its a pleasure to drive in France. British roads are by far and away safer and better engineered and built than French roads.
Jim

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Its all about opinions. My opinion is that cyclists are a menace and shouldn't be allowed on the roads. I'm not even gonna go into why because there are that many reasons.
Jim

And horse riders - they're a menace.

And lorry drivers.
And white van man.
And pedestrians.
And pensioners.
And women.
And caravans.
And motorhomes.

In fact, anyone who isn't just like me!

Sorted! :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[HI]I don't agree that its a pleasure to drive in France.[/HI] British roads are by far and away safer and better engineered and built than French roads.
Jim

That is subjective Jim ..

I've driven many thousands of miles in France and always enjoyed it..
I don't get the same pleasure driving in the UK .. even though the stats. suggest I'm safer.

Our major roads and motorways are clogged, under-maintained and desperate for upgrading.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
That is subjective Jim ..

I've driven many thousands of miles in France and always enjoyed it..
I don't get the same pleasure driving in the UK .. even though the stats. suggest I'm safer.

Our major roads and motorways are clogged, under-maintained and desperate for upgrading.

It may be grammatically incorrect but its not subjective. Actually I have enjoyed driving in France, however IMO, French roads are not designed, engineered or built as well as roads within the UK.

I've read posts on this forum waxing lyrical about French Roads being the dogs doo da's because their long and straight. Nobody mentions the surface degradation, the adverse cambers, the road edge breakdown, the bumpy/lumpy road surface and I could go on concerning signage, but I wont.
Jim
:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't agree that its a pleasure to drive in France.

Actually I have enjoyed driving in France,

which one is it Jim .. ? :roflmto:

In France, my pleasure comes from low traffic densities... plenty of rest places.. cheaper fuel.. and the a great network of Aires.. not to mention the scenery and lovely French villages..

Compare that to the UK
High traffic density, few rest places, virtually no aires .. higher fuel prices. Yes we have villages, complete with double yellow lines and traffic wardens, .. scenery we have a plenty.. if you can find a parking place. :restmycase:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
which one is it Jim .. ? :roflmto:

In France, my pleasure comes from low traffic densities... plenty of rest places.. cheaper fuel.. and the a great network of Aires.. not to mention the scenery and lovely French villages..

Compare that to the UK
High traffic density, few rest places, virtually no aires .. higher fuel prices. Yes we have villages, complete with double yellow lines and traffic wardens, .. scenery we have a plenty.. if you can find a parking place. :restmycase:

You know which one it is, its the one where I corrected myself.

Traffic density in France isn't as low as people would like to proclaim, particularly on the popular Motorhome travel routes.

I've never had a problem finding a rest place in the UK.

Not sure what the petrol prices are in France right now but last spring the prices were same as the UK.

We have the most beautiful scenery in the world and I've never had a problem getting to where I wanted to be. Its only last year that people were posting photo's of Motorhomes clamped for parking on the road in Santander.

The cost of living in France is far and away higher than it is in the UK. French people are living on baguettes because they cant afford decent food.

I cant remember the amount of places that I've had to drive away from in France because I couldn't park.

In the UK we can move around using Public Transport. You cant travel on a bus or a train in France with a dog.

It is illegal to take a dog on to a beach in France and we like many have a dog. In the UK its not a problem.

I rest my case because its gerrin boring rattling off all of these benefits that driving a Motorhome in the UK as opposed France have.

This post was all about road safety but because it suits you have taken it off topic, even off topic the UK wins hands down
Jim
:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back