How safe are your roads?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by haganap, Dec 5, 2011.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Picked from my cycling forum website.

Every death on every UK road since 1999-2010 statistics.

You can break it down as well,

very informative

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15975720

• Like Like x 5
  2. aimeehudson

aimeehudson Read Only Funster

Good Share!

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Paul

The roads are safe enough, its the drivers.:Sad:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Wow thats scary:Eeek:

5. lorger

lorger Funster

So far this year there has been 5 deaths on the A75 from Gretna to Stranraer and now everyone ic calling for road upgrades as shiftzz says is the road that bad or are we all in to much of a hurry these days.

• Like Like x 2
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Stark figures ..

As said, not the roads that kill ..

"A total of 36,371 people were killed on Britain's roads between 1999 and 2010."

3,600 deaths per year .. or 12 jumbo jet crashes EVERY year.. one every month !

If these deaths were due to aircraft crashes no one would fly, and they would be grounded... but we drive most days and never think it will happen to us..

From the governments own statistics, alcohol is a major factor in around one in five of all road deaths.. 20%.. that equates to 7,274 preventable deaths.. without spending a penny on road improvements..

7. laneside

laneside Funster

I bet bad eye sight accounts for an inordinate amount.

When did you last have yours professionally checked ?

Do you ALWAYS wear your glasses if required ?

Do us all a favour go and make an appointment on Monday

It is not all down to bad eyesight go round any super market and observe how many people are brain dead and totally unaware of what is going on around them

Oh and whilst we are on about it there is almost no such thing as an vehicle accident each and every incident is due to an idiot unless it is due to a very rare mechanical failure.

8. buttons

buttons Funster

Do you have a few problems with your driving by any chance or are you an optician. People are brain dead, people are blind, people are unaware what is going on around them, people are idiots. Do you fall into any of these catagories I wonder.:Eeek:

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thats an interesting site. I could have forecast whereabouts on the Wirral there had been fatal accidents before I looked at it and I was right.

Most of the roads were there have been fatal accidents are known localy as "fast roads" much loved by boy racers.

There was a programme on the telly a couple of months ago visiting dangerous roads.

Where an effort had been made to make the road safer there had been a big improvement and its so obvious that our roads need a lot of work on them to make them safer.

As already said, the drivers have to look too themselves and improve their driving but a lot more could be done by the engineers in local councils. The problem is, MONEY or rather the lack of it.

Jim
    :Smile:

10. jaygee

jaygee Funster

in uk i have near misses most times i go out,still awaiting compensation from 18 months when hit by land rover
    In spain since last Sunday been out every day 100k +
    Near misses every day,yesterday 5 near misses,chased one driver and caught him at traffic lights,denied he was in the wrong
    Today finally hit the road,cuts/bruises but nothing broken,rider in front hit some stones i when over top of him
    Being on a bike is dangerous!! where ever you are
    now of to Marjal nursing my wounds
    Regards
    Tony

11. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

In our opinion there is nothing wrong with the A75, as Shiftz rightly says, it's the drivers not the road.

We have been driving along the A75 for 12 years, since moving away from the busy Gatwick/M23/M25 area and we've seen more bad driving along the A75 than anywhere else.

People take chances where they shouldn't, overtaking on the double white lines, overtaking just before the brow of a hill and other general madness.

Regardless of how much money is spent on the "upgrading" of this road, you will still have the idiots driving on it and nothing will ever change this:Angry:

We've had conversations with local police who have said that there is a bad mix of drivers on the A75, farm vehicles, elderly drivers, young immature drivers who think they're invincible and of the ferry traffic to and from Ireland. But that's no excuse for bad or dangerous driving:Blush:

We have an Irish friend who drives like an idiot when he's going to and from the ferry, how he's not been involved in an accident yet, must be done to good fortune.

They don't call it Paddy's Racetrack for nothing:Doh:

12. scotjimland

perhaps it is Gerry.. this is the main arterial road linking N Ireland to the M74/M6 and all points South ..

Not been along it for a few years, but I do recall a lot of HGV traffic so perhaps it does justify duelling .. as mentioned there is a lot of local traffic.. it's bound to lead to frustrations when slow traffic is holding up freight traffic.. time is money for hauliers .

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

The overwhelming impression I get from reading the details of deaths local to me is that the majority are people over retirement age, closely followed by young motorcyclists. Two high risk groups

14. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

When discussing whether the elderly should have to take a retest on th BBC news it was said and I quote "even though the elderly are the safest group" :Smile:

15. ShiftZZ

So therefore 80% of them are not pi$$ed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

I think most on here can subtract 20 from 100 .. :RollEyes:

what's you point ?

17. ShiftZZ

Thats simple enough, more accidents are caused by the 80%, not some drunk.
    So what do you suggest for the 80%? Fix that and you have got rid of most of your problems.

18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

How many times do you hear a report about a road accident where it says, "The car left the road". Why did the car leave the road?

Then we read that the driver was 18 with a 17 year passenger, the car skidded off the road at a bend and a hit a tree, this is most likely due to the fact that the young driver was inexperienced, speeding and had no respect for the road whatsoever.

This is down to driver error and nothing to do with a road requiring upgrading. Spending millions on straightening/upgrading roads is never going to be the answer when you have a high percentage of morons behind the wheel.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

My two-pennorth - the basic issue is that driving is regarded as a right, not a privilege. We routinely accept life imprisonment as a punishment for crime, yet I have never, ever, seen anyone banned from driving for life. And joky, feelgood stories abound of someone taking their 100th test, or whatever. Would we feel comfortable flying with a pilot in that position?

Long ago, the car became accepted as the symbol of personal freedom and we made a pact [with the devil ?] whereby we agreed to accept any casualties produced as a result. The irony now is that the bicycle is much more an expression of personal freedom than a car. Overtaking in a car is now almost a thing of the past - the roads are so crowded that your vehicle is essentially part of a mass-transit system: like a carriage in a train. Perhaps that's why there seems to be more frustration resulting in anger directed at cyclists. And why motorists are so goddam bad at overtaking us!

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I bet a few die by doing things like this.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SetgRrdJiGs[/ame]