How Safe Are French Aires? (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Been stopping on aires for past 11 years with no problems. Just assess when you arrive and make your own judgement call.
In same time stopped once on a motorway are but as night wore we did no feel comfortable so we moved to a safer are off motorway in small town

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We always use the Aires, if you don't like the feel of one move on to the next. We had trouble finding one, had three goes at it, found it eventually down a rough track under some trees out the back of Lord knows where, we stayed and had no problems at all, there were several other vans there.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we spend at least three weeks in france every year and only ever used aires. we do avoid motorway aires or those near a border crossing. Never felt unsafe in any of the others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
France is a whole different ball game with regard motorhomes and parking..
I have a regular stopover on a car park outside a campsite when it's closed out of season. Once I was asked to move the van up to a higher level on the car park... Not that there was an issue with me parking but there was a meeting in the local hall and "they did not want to disturb us".. :)
Got stuck once in bad weather and to tired to drive any more. Went into the Mayor's office and he welcomed me to stay on their car park.. Could you see that happening here. !

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Aires are fine..

..as long as you don't have a nocturnal visit from Gaston:
mad-gasser-by-aidan-wilson.jpg

MOOOOOOWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would say I had exactly your fears before we used our first aire, and looking back the very first one we used we maybe should not have, a quiet location out of sight of the village on our own all night. We parked walked 200yds to the town had a drink and chatted to locals, returned to our isolated car park and spent a quiet and safe night

We do have the luxury of a large dog, who like us slept soundly all night

Several times we have been the first to park on an aire, usually joined by others overnight but not always, but in a very quiet / dark place they can be a bit odd, but nothing like as isolated as wild camping, now that surely must be 'risky' (y)

we are now hooked, but only for over nighting while travelling, if stopping for 2 nights we would pick a site :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
We're in France at the moment, (first timers) stayed at aires a few times, not a problem at all, the best advice I can give is, when you find a site, park up first, take a look around see if you like it, don't know where you're headed but the one at Honfleur (at the lidl end )is huge but excellent for the town centre, and aire camping -car Beavoir near mount st michel is absolutely first class!
Have to admit I was dubious but I've loved it, hope this helps - go for it ,you won't regret it !
Cheers Keith

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
If we see broken glass/ black tyre marks / graffiti we move on to another site or village square. We were parked up in one square when the police came knocking. All they wanted was to inform us that all around the square were electric hook up points that are used in market days and as there was no market that week we could use the hookup!!!!!! Free!!!!! Gratis!!!!libre!!!!!Nada. Come on UK wake up.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
3 weeks into france trip at the moment , we use mostly aires , good description of them in all the aires book and other finders we use before going to them.
Luckily the many aires we used over last few years have all been good enough for a safe night. Every now and then when need laundry and bigger shower plus maybe a pool etc we. Look for an aire next to a camp site or just book on line ahead for a night or two.
We're on a nice site now just for tonight in Ploudu only 22 euro with hook up etc. bargain after all the cheap or free aires we've done so far.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Everybody has their preferred type of Aire. We look for somewhere rural and quiet ourselves. Others may prefer having people around and choose town sites. Personally I feel that any place where you can be seen by locals is more risky. Towns mean traffic noise, boy racers and drunks.

I remember some years ago we were overnight, on our own, on a Friday in a sports area carpark in Canberra, well back from the road. At 1am a car came in, the occupants hurled a plate at the van (they missed) and shouted "wakey wakey" and then drove off. I was working late and jumped out of the van but they weren't willing to stay to find out whether my response to such irreverence might have been a brick through their windshield. Ever since then we have always regarded Canberra as the plate-chucking capital of Australia.

The moral is if you don't wish to be irritated by local tomfoolery don't park in a town on Friday or Saturday night. But here's a thought - if you act like a victim you may well become one. Showing no fear encouraged them to push off in a hurry. Jim has an interesting book on this sort of thing.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just want to add our voice to those who use Aires. We got our motorhome 2 years ago. Second time out we went to France and stayed mainly on campsites. But the last night we "risked" and Aire, and we now use them all the time. This spring we drove through France and Spain to Portugal and used Aires and wild camping most of the time. So much easier and relaxing.

My wife has only felt a bit worried once at Cap St Vincent in Portugal. So we just moved on to Sagres 5 miles away and found a fantastic little parking area overlooking a sandy bay with about half a dozen other motorhomes. Safe as houses. A walk into town, then found a lovely little restaurant 100 yards from where we were parked and had wonderful sea food meal and wine. Then a walk back to the motorhome and fell asleep to the sounds of the waves breaking on the beach.

And that is where Aires score over campsites. They are much closer to the really nice towns and villages, so amenities are within an easy walk.

Get yourself the French Aires book from Vicarious Books and just try it for yourself rather than listening to those who haven't done it!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have the All the Aires book..
Some interesting and encouraging comments !
I don't act like a victim or feel vulnerable ! Quite the opposite but I have my wife to consider and all we want to do is go away have a nice relaxing time and stay out of trouble and away from problems ..

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Charlie, Where are you thinking of actually going, if you post the area, funster's might post good safe aires for you to try or look at.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
One of the roughest French aires I stayed in was in La rochelle where all sorts of wierd and wonderful people were staying and a drug fuelled party was going on in the park next door, No problems. I stayed on a lovely peaceful aire in one french manicured wine region and the Germans next door had all their bikes nicked off the back!

Looks dont sometimes work!!!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We use aires lots of times, but if we dont like the look of it we move on. We never stay overnight on motorway aires only use them for daytime stops. Aires are usually fairly busy and quite safe.
Phil

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We think aires are great and have stayed on many although my wife won't stay if we are on our own.

This video has been around a while but it tells you a bit about different types of aire.

Aire at Stenay, there are loads like this:

stenay 28 9_7.JPG

Paul

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Joan & I often use Aires and Picnic areas off Motorways in France and Spain. We have no problem about staying on our own anywhere and in fact we prefer it that way.

For Motorways we choose sites well away from centres of population. The quieter the better. We avoid the honey pot locations.

Most of our continental travel is out of the holiday season so things are often very quiet.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have the All the Aires book..
Some interesting and encouraging comments !
I don't act like a victim or feel vulnerable ! Quite the opposite but I have my wife to consider and all we want to do is go away have a nice relaxing time and stay out of trouble and away from problems ..
My comment was not aimed specifically at you. I should add that one should also avoid being unnecessarily confrontational. It can be a fine line.

What you want is what we all want. Regardless of other views here, the use of an unregulated or un-policed camping area, whether it's an Aire or wild camping, does carry an increased risk. This is unavoidable and everyone has to assess whether their risk tolerance is likely to be breached. There is no shame in using CPs, despite what some may think, if it gives you the required peace of mind. Your wallet may not thank you of course.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
The beauty of AIRES is that there are no deadlines or locked gates, perfect for when you are on the move, how frustrating it can be to be ready for the road and having to wait for site to open.

We lived in France and used AIRES and picnic areas a lot without incident, however whilst the house was left unattended when we returned to the UK it was torched by some maniac, lovely peaceful community, lovely people and that happened, you can never tell!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just my opinion, not set in stone, but I would say aires could be safer than campsites because aires are usually patrolled by the police but campsites are are only looked after by staff, and just because it's a camp doesn't say it's not got all sorts of people there, just because they are fellow mhomers doesn't say they are not villains.
On another post , we stayed at stenay as in the photo above , excellent example of a good aire , good views , hookup , water , emptying, bar on site, town about 200 yards with all manner of shops, even showers and stuff if you need them, warden on site, better than any camp in my view.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I've seen police in a town Aire but never seen any in a rural Aire. I wasn't even aware that they were policed.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Regardless of other views here, the use of an unregulated or un-policed camping area, whether it's an Aire or wild camping, does carry an increased risk.
Not sure I agree with the use of the word "increased", but then I am not sure what evidence you have to justify it. With Aires the motorhomes are usually closer together and people are much more willing to talk to one another. The result is that motorhomers look after each other more. An alarm sounding on an Aire will bring people out to look and investigate, unlike a car alarm in the street, or even an alarm in a campsite.

Yes you occasionally hear about thefts, just as you hear about thefts in campsites and from homes. Simple common sense precautions anywhere will make them less likely, although they will not get rid of them altogether. We make sure things like chairs, BBQs and bikes are locked in the garage at night and when we are away from the van.

And, of course, the best advice is the one already given. If you don't feel right about it, move on, because there are plenty of others places to stay.

The one thing you can discount is the old wives' tales about gassing. It don't happen. If people sleep through a break in and have a headache and feel sick in the morning it is usually because they have drunk too much the night before!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I don't think that one can assume that Aires are always busy. Clearly that cannot be the case. It may be unusual to find one that remains empty, but not impossible especially out of season. I have camped many times on my own without mishap. Drunken youths are the biggest threat to one's peace not criminals in my experience. A person on their own in an area open to the public is going to be more vulnerable to interference.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We always use aires now. The first time we went Jean was worried by the scaremongering but now we know what to expect the worry has gone. Aires are no more safe nor unsafe as anywhere else. It is reassuring that it is usual to see the police patrol round checking the aires (imagine our police doing that!) Usually give us a cheery wave as they pass. The supermarket aires are a boon. Just watch the motorhomers in the morning as the store opens and see them all head straight for the store. A win win situation.

Wyn

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Great informative thread. Just what this forum is famous for.
You're not going to be a victim of crime unless you're very unlucky or you leave things insecure.
Aires (for camping cars) are such an enviable resource just waiting to be discovered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back