Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
I was under the impression, that nobody was older than Old Mo.
However on looking at past threads I suddenly realised that I am older...............YIKES.:Sad:
Then, I started to wonder at what age do Funsters consider that we are past it, as far as motorhoming / campervanning is concerned?
From my own part, I intend to live forever...
So far so good.:winky:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Suppose it depends on why you campervan etc. We kayak, cycle, walk and bodyboard, so to that end we'll probably get to 60 ish and pack that bit in...... maybe !! However, we love to travel too and so we would potentially carry on to a much later age so we can see more of the country and Europe. The issue with any of the above ultimately, is that you miss having your room cleaned and tidied, having stunning balcony views and having food aplenty available at all times. So maybe peeps just pack it in when they want more of that. Interesting question tho ...........:Cool:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
If it's good enough for these two Pensioners at their reasonably advanced age then ......................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• MHF 2.jpg
    MHF 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 76
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Well i am 69 riddled with rheumatoid arthritis and cycle walk and swim every day whilst abroad..Best thing i ever did was to buy a decent bike eleven years ago when we first started touring abroad. Before that i could hardly walk never mind cycle..Must admit that after a 10 or 12 mile walk or probably a twenty mile cycle i seize up within an hour of returning to the van. A bottle of red soon ensures a good nights sleep and i am fit for the same again. I think if i stopped exercise or motorhoming i would not be in the good health that i enjoy..Hopefully i can carry on for many many years to come. Think its all in mind....ROCK ON..::bigsmile:BUSBY

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Last winter at Totana we met a couple from Hull, he was 84 she was 82! They were on the way back from wildcamping in Morocco!!! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Mastercamper

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Well i am 69 riddled with rheumatoid arthritis and cycle walk and swim every day whilst abroad..Best thing i ever did was to buy a decent bike eleven years ago when we first started touring abroad. Before that i could hardly walk never mind cycle..Must admit that after a 10 or 12 mile walk or probably a twenty mile cycle i seize up within an hour of returning to the van. A bottle of red soon ensures a good nights sleep and i am fit for the same again. I think if i stopped exercise or motorhoming i would not be in the good health that i enjoy..Hopefully i can carry on for many many years to come. [HI]Think its all in mind....ROCK ON..::bigsmile:BUSBY[/HI]

:thumb:
I agree.
Mind you, I feel that all the exercise that I get bending down pooper scooping probably helps as well!
(Another good reason for having dogs around):thumb:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
mum and dad gave up caravanning at 91 when dad passed away. mums still going strong at 101 (not caravanning) I still go away for the summer in my ambi with the trike at 77 this year:roflmto:yahay

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
:thumb:
I agree.
Mind you, I feel that all the exercise that I get bending down pooper scooping probably helps as well!
(Another good reason for having dogs around):thumb:

Did plenty of that years ago when the wife kept coming home with strays. Had six at one time... ::bigsmile:BUSBY

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When you are too old you should stop motorhoming and let someone younger enjoy the van...

That's what I am going to do.

On my 110th birthday I will hand my Hymer to a younger person. It should be run in by then (just)...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When you are too old you should stop motorhoming and let someone younger enjoy the van...

That's what I am going to do.

On my 110th birthday I will hand my Hymer to a younger person. It should be run in by then (just)...

JJ :Cool:

Next year then???....::bigsmile::winky::winky:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I was at the Hymer factory ib Bad Waldsee speccing my new motorhome when I was introduced to a retired farmer, from Norfolk I think. He was 82 years old, had nursed his wife for 10 years and following her death he wanted to tour Europe in a new S820.

He said they were quoting 6 months delivery, could I persuade them to make it quicker as otherwise he might not live long enough to take delivery.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mike

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Suppose it depends on why you campervan etc. We kayak, cycle, walk and bodyboard, so to that end we'll probably get to 60 ish and pack that bit in...... maybe !! However, we love to travel too and so we would potentially carry on to a much later age so we can see more of the country and Europe. The issue with any of the above ultimately, is that you miss having your room cleaned and tidied, having stunning balcony views and having food aplenty available at all times. So maybe peeps just pack it in when they want more of that. Interesting question tho ...........:Cool:

Why give up at 60ish? I have friends still kayaking in their 80s and they give the kids a run for their money! It's not a question of age more about personal fitness and ability. One person may be "past it" at 50 whilst another is still active at 90.

OP
OP
Mastercamper

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
What is it about Funsters?

Is it the open air life, the dogs, the motorhomes, or generally the laid back attitude that makes so many of you such long lived persons?
Whatever it is, keep on taking the medicine, as it were. :thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
We had a couple in their middle and late 80's on site. Lady had dementia and her husband did everything for her. He said he wanted to carry on for as long as possible. They had a pop up caravan/ trailer tent type thing. I think he was brilliant.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We met a French couple a few years ago in France, both in their late 80's in their caravan. They were giving up caravanning because he couldn't manage the coupling / uncoupling anymore. They were going to swap it for a motorhome.

Allan

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
50 is to old..

People get grumpy then. ..I can't wait

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Why give up at 60ish? I have friends still kayaking in their 80s and they give the kids a run for their money! It's not a question of age more about personal fitness and ability. One person may be "past it" at 50 whilst another is still active at 90.

Haha ! I did say "maybe" :winky:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My mums a firm believer ...You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old when you stop playing...At 73 my mums driving the MH for short spells, going ziplining over the river for charity, horseriding along the beach in Jamaica, parascending, and attempting the rock climbing wall on cruise ships.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When you park on site, go out for the day, carnt remember why you went, don't know where the site is, and if you did, you wouldn't find your MH, or how to get home.

That my friends is when you give up Motorhoming ::bigsmile:

I am on the way, went into the other room at home yesterday, wondered what I went in for......still don't know....so for me it might not be long :ROFLMAO:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My wife drives a lot better when she's not actually driving.......from the passenger seat!. :cry:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I am on the way, went into the other room at home yesterday, wondered what I went in for......still don't know....so for me it might not be long :ROFLMAO:

I wandered out of the lounge into the hall...........................:Sad:

And couldn't remember which room I was going to..............:Doh:

So I went back into the lounge and had a nap. :thumb:

Does anyone know if I have a motorhome please ? :help:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we will never be past it

once we can no longer drive, we will get our son to drive us

when he is fed up of driving us, we will get his children to drive us

hehehehehe

you are never too old xxx

OP
OP
Mastercamper

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
we will never be past it

once we can no longer drive, we will get our son to drive us

when he is fed up of driving us, we will get his children to drive us

hehehehehe

[HI]

you are never too old
[/HI]xxx

This is the reply I wanted to read. ......................Thank You:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
age is relative only to your minds desire to experience new things. middle aged is over 60 these days so i intend to carry on regardless, so much more to see and do

with the retirement age constantly being pushed back, then the average age of motorhomers will rise too. sod giving up and moving into an old peoples estate or care home, spend the cash on traveling, it keeps you young at heart

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Senior moment !!!

It is three in the morning....you are naked......you have a hammer in your hand.....you are in front of the fridge with the door open !!

Now that is a senior moment !!!:winky::winky::winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]My wife drives a lot better [/HI]when she's not actually driving.......[HI]from the passenger seat![/HI]. :cry:

Bearing that in mind,

......................is this her?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmXAsfeQ_4E"]Funny Old Woman- extra steering wheel !!! - YouTube[/ame]

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There is another option from packing it in. After many years of motorhoming with 3 kids until they went their own way and a bit longer. I/we fancied a change and started to appreciate again what you describe to a point when we just used the van for occasional weekends away.

After much deliberation I downsized to a VW camper, best thing we could have done. It was/is the perfect combination, we now fly and stay all over yet we still have a motorhome that gets used most days yet can be loaded in minuets for a trip to wherever you fancy. Drive it to the shops, airport or drive it to Italy the choice is always there.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
I think it will be DVLC who have the final decision on when we give up. As long as I can drive in a safe manner we shall continue to travel. There is just nothing so good as setting off in your motor home, with all your bits and pieces around you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back