How old are your tyres?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by calculad, Feb 1, 2010.

1. calculad

calculad

I just bought a motorhome and obviously checked the tyres and they all had plenty of tread.
    Normally factor in a set of tyres in a vehicle deal.
    About a week later I read an article in Caravan Club magazine that refers you to this link.

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/

They (Tyresafe-Tyre Industry Council)recommend NOT driving on tyres older than 7 years.
    Just checked and using their guide, I think my tyres are dated 2001.
    Contacted motorhome dealer with concerns who told me not to worry about it so long as tread is OK.
    Any thoughts.
    Kev

2. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

hi
    check them carefully for any cracks------on the walls and between tread -----also check valve stems,if tubeless.
    Nigel

3. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

4. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Thanks calcul old lad, not for your post, but for your avatar.

I agree completely.

Please Jim, Sir, Light of my Life, can you organise this for me, too?

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Me, I am tight. Very. But do not drive on old tyres. I am also a recycle nut. Still do not drive on old tyres. Hate waste,but do not drive on old tyres. Penny pincher, but do not drive on old tyres. Not talking about worn out tyres, sad tyres, cracked tyres..... I even buy sell-bys, but do not drive on old tyres. Am I being clear? Hope that helps. Jane :Smile:

6. b2tuscan

b2tuscan Read Only Funster

Seem to recall that the date of manufacture is coded on the side wall of the tyre......its something like 03007 (March 2007).

I could go out and check on our vehicles but it is flipping cold out there and we have a huge log fire roaring in the inglenook. Will have a look in the morning.

7. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Just to add my 2 cents worth.

Checking the side walls for cracks etc is right but make sure to check the Inside wall as well ( ie the side facing under the vehicle ) twice I have had tyres from a well known quick fitter that ballooned out on the inside wall where it didn't show. Very nasty possibilities come to mind.

8. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

Thanks for the link, that website is paid for by people who sell tyres, I wonder why they are so keen for you to buy new tyres before the old ones are worn out :RollEyes:

The suggested 6 year limit is because sunlight may perish the tyre, but the age of the tyre is only a guide to the amount of sunlight it has had, and the tyres resistance to sunlight. I have fitted a 14 year old tyre that was like new because it has always been the spare carried in the boot!

The tyres on my bike are about 35 years old (the bike was a retirement present for a gentleman who never used it much) The rubber part of the sidewalls is full of cracks, and has been for many years, but the tyres still run at 60psi no problems at all. The strength is in the fibre reinforcement, not in the rubber sidewall.

I would certainly check the tyre inner side and outer side out for bulges though, irrespective of the age of the tyre. If there are any bulges, the tyre should be replaced because a bulge is a sure sign of a seriously weakened tyre.

9. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

You are right, tyres are date coded and usually similar to this 0305 means march 2005

hope this helps

10. joggerman

joggerman Read Only Funster

I think that after 2000 the code is 4 digits.
    The first 2 digits = week number.
    the final 2 digits = year.

For example 3407 means week 34 in year 2007.

11. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Im not a 100% sure but I am sure if a tyre is over 5 years old and you have a blow out etc your insurance company will not pay out no matter how much tread is on the tyre .

( I could not open the link above so not sure of what it said ) and as I said above I am not a 100% sure.

Paul

12. calculad

calculad

The link in my original post explains how to read the code.
    K

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have read other advice and changed mine after 5 years on my last van. I will do so on this van too.
    Always an argumentitive thing is tyres. Personally I would not take any risk. Its not the sunlight issue but the weight on the walls. because motorhomes spend long periods standing (in some cases not mine) this can put a lot of pressure on the walls. I only buy camping car tyres (michelines at present xc) although many people opt to put ordinary van tyres on. Once again I had this explained to me and once again it was a standing weight issue.
    Others will disagree, but for me I always heed tyre advice.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

tread depth is irrelevent and tyres do deteriorate with age....

other damage aside, 5 years is the recommended age for renewal.

same reason as cambelts should be changed on a time basis as most vans wont do the mileage need for mileage renewal. ie: 80'000 mls or 4 yrs

15. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Please do not take chance with old tyres! I hadone blow on a caravan a few years ago and the damage that was done to the wheel arch area of the van was unbelievable.
    With a motorhome and the weight it could be catastrophic.
    Unless you can find some 35 year old bike tyres to fit:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Steve

16. calculad

calculad

Thanks for your comments. Yes I had realised that Tyresafe is an industry body with a vested interest in sales, but just to respond, the Caravan Club recommends replacement after 5 years. As far as I know, they have no axe to grind other than the safety of their members. In addition the American video report suggests that a visual check is not effective at detecting the degradation (drying out) of the rubber.
    K

17. Peter James

I don't know about the Caravan Club. I have not stayed on their sites because I gather they would not let me in as my motorhome has no windows in the back (for security, coolness in the Spanish Sun, and being able to get away with parking up where Motorhomes are banned like all over Gibraltar) It has 3 windows in the front and I don't find it any more claustraphobic than the average room in a house (that has only a window at one end.)

But, if the age of the tyre is so vital, isn't it strange, that with all the mountain of regulations there are about vehicles these days, including many regulations about tyres, there is not one concerning the age of the tyres?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  18. calculad

calculad

Yes I do agree that you would expect there to be something in the MOT at least about the age of tyres.
    BTW. I'm sure I have seen home builds on CC sites.

19. Peter James

It would be a very easy and cheap regulation to enforce if it was necessary wouldn't it? Every tyre stamped with its date of manufacture, checked at the side of the road by all the privatised traffic wardens on commission. They'd love it. But the tyre sellers have not convinced the Department of Transport it is necessary (and they have not convinced me when my bike is running fine on 35 year old tyres.)

I haven't actually tried to get on to a CC site, it was just something I read on another forum about being turned away if your van does not have windows in the back. (mine is a standard Citroen Relay high roof XLWB that just looks like an ordinary white van from the outside.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  20. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster