How Often do you S.....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, Mar 10, 2010.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Just out of curiosity,,

How often do you Start/Run/Move your Motorhome through the winter months ??????

I usually Start mine every fortnight, and leave it running for 15 mins or so..

And move it up and down the drive once a month.. just to get things lubricated.. :thumb:

Or is it best to leave it stood ?

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Mo

We take ours out for a run every 2 - 3 weeks during the winter months.

3. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We have used ours almost every other weekend this year. We do have a little problem that the rear brakes stick on sometimes, and it takes a bit of backward/forward movement to release them. (not amusing for Mrs Colpot as M/Home is parked about 6 inches from the house!)

4. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Hi
    If your going to start it you should run it till the engines up to full temperature. Starting for a couple of minutes wears the engine out very quickly and also corrodes the exhaust from the inside due to condensation.

You would be best to take the van for a run for 14 - 20 mins every week just to keep things moving ans prevent things like handbrakes siezing on. we often take our for a run on a sunday to a nice laybye we know overlooking the river trent and make a cup of tea. Look at a bit of wildflife and come back home again

Phill

5. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

how often

if you can make sure the van is realy chocked, leave the handbrake off, its this that normaly rusts up, also as others have said, there is very little engine lube in first 10 mins, one reason for never starting and moving straight off, even in the warm, i use mine as my every day vehicle, its only 6 miles to work, s:Rofl1:eek: at times i take a longer route, never had flat batteries,, ha ha,, now watch this space

6. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Prolonged idling bad. Not so sure on newer engine designes but it certainly used to be a given that older engines didn't oil properly at idle therefore don't let them idle for long.

Handbake, everyone should have a Hillman Imp as a first car, you quickly learn NEVER leave the handbrake on for more than few days! I had three, glutton for punishment me, and they were all the same.

I never leave hanbrake on, except where it's essential, ie parked on steep slope, and if I can I still try for chocks. That said with an RV we've got auto trans so we have the park function in the box, bit more solid than leaving a manual in gear but common sence must prevail, ie if the slopes beyond gentle saftey first.

We too go for a run every couple of weeks if the 'vans parked up, it's not just about getting the engine warmed up it's all the drive train, drying out the exhaust, getting the brakes clean etc etc. That said it's been some time since we've needed a specific exsersize run:thumb:

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Take the van for a 10 to 15 mile run every fortnight.

Phil

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Is this a sex forum?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

PS you should get some replies now!:Eeek:

9. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Clearly not often enough!!!!

The van was booked in for a new rear axle this morning but refused to start!

Hank the Tank is in discrace (well I guess its my fault not the vans really)

Its sat on Charge now which is a military exercise here (wont go into details)

I think the idea of driving for 20 min every week is good but in practice never happens here. Normally we would be using the van a lot but since hes being diagnosed as needing a new axle I havent dared drive him since Jan. Having said that I suspect hes done several thousand miles on a dodgy axle.

If it doesnt start in 30 min time the toys will come out of the pram!

10. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

I planned to take ours for a run at least once a month over the winter. However after great intentions a combination of poor weather, a lack of desire on my part to get it dirtier than it already was plus Christmas and other stuff - all mean't it did not move from December 10th until March 7th.

I did fit a trickle charger to the engine battery over Christmas.

On Sunday I took it for a 30 minute run and washed it down completely, must try harder next winter.

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

want to buy my beast, hee hee.
    Moving the van once a week was the plan, keeps brakes and clutch free and ensures battery is kept fully charged. In practice it got used over christmas to the new year then laid up untill this week. clutch and breaks were fine. all ready for the off then.

12. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

The van did start and is now in the garage!