DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Apparently the AVERAGE cost of a wedding in the UK is £25000:Eeek:
You could buy a decent used 'van for less than that:thumb:
Or even put a sizeable deposit on a house.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Having gone through one, with another on the way, I would say that it is very possible. my two boys and new girls kept it mostly sensible but still smacked the wrong side of 12k I blame the letter W
try it

Birthday cake Cake £25

Wedding cake £400

Car Hire 1/2 day £30

Wedding car hire 1/2 day £1200

See:Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Apparently the AVERAGE cost of a wedding in the UK is £25000:Eeek:
You could buy a decent used 'van for less than that:thumb:
Or even put a sizeable deposit on a house.

Yes, frightening this......our daughter got engaged a few months ago and we are now trying to find a suitable wedding venue at a price we can all afford:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bill:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Always amazes me ..

Does no one have friends or acquaintances today ?

We:
got a friend who could bake make a beautiful 3 tear wedding cake ( cost £26.00 )
Got another friend to ask his mate for his roller for the day ( chap was so chuffed he actually donned a chauffeurs outfit and drove it him self ) ( Cost was a place at the reception )
The reception was held out doors with various large gazebos dotted around.
Tables and chairs donated for a donation ( £20 ) to the local youth club
Reception grub for 112 guests cooked by neighbours and friends ( total cost £150 INCLUDING 20 bottles of cheapo champers )
Evening entertainment by a couple of local bands who did the gig as a favour plus booze consumed )
Bar supplied by local pub who stood on the first round of drinks for all guests ( that took some fast talking but hey, I am good at that ! )

The only real expense was the bloody church :Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Dont bother, live together, double income tax allowance, save the money for a deposit on first time cheap house, renovate it, flog it for tax free profit.

Buy another one and do the same, then nip down the registry office for a quickie as by then they should know they will stay together

Peter

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Jackie & I got married abroad. (2nd time round for both of us).

Flew via L.A. to Fiji, got married on the beach:thumb: (see avatar!)
Then to NZ, Australia, Bali & Singapore, stayed in fantastic hotels, spent well, and had a party in the pub with free bar/bbq/pizza for everyone and a live band when we got back
We were away for a month.
Total cost - £10k - and we had the trip of a lifetime to remember rather than a day in a church/register office and some luke warm chicken supreme and cava:ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Good point Peter! Our daughter and her boyfriend have been going out for over 8 years now........so we're assuming that they might last a few years:RollEyes:

But the costs of a wedding so far have been mind boggling! One place wants £38.50 per guest for the meal, plus £12.50 for each guest for the "evening" buffet, plus drinks packages on top of this, every single item on the hotel list has vat added at 20%.
Even glasses and cutlery and napkins were on the list:Doh:
This is before marquee hire plus everything associated with it........even chairs, napkins, space heaters, (Delivery of space heaters £200 plus vat), the list goes on. Plus they wanted all 10 rooms in the hotel to be used by guests on the night of the wedding otherwise we would need to pay for them if they were left empty:Eeek: Cost per double £110......

Band or disco would be needed plus other things that were on the hotel list, can't remember them all........daughter took the list with her. But this particular location sounded a complete cash drain, we'd prefer somewhere that comes as a complete package with everything all in, then at least we would know where we stand before making any decisions.

There's not going be a church involved, unlike in our day, but there's a charge to bring a registrar into the hotel to conduct the wedding service. Ah, forgot to mention space heaters and chairs:whatthe:.........the list just went on and on.

I can see us having to sell the motorhome to pay for this lot:Doh:

Bill

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Dont bother, live together, double income tax allowance, save the money for a deposit on first time cheap house, renovate it, flog it for tax free profit.

Buy another one and do the same, then nip down the registry office for a quickie as by then they should know they will stay together

Peter

I agree, Jay & I were together for over 20 years before we married.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Good point Peter! Our daughter and her boyfriend have been going out for over 8 years now........so we're assuming that they might last a few years:RollEyes:

But the costs of a wedding so far have been mind boggling! One place wants £38.50 per guest for the meal, plus £12.50 for each guest for the "evening" buffet, plus drinks packages on top of this, every single item on the hotel list has vat added at 20%.
Even glasses and cutlery and napkins were on the list:Doh:
This is before marquee hire plus everything associated with it........even chairs, napkins, space heaters, (Delivery of space heaters £200 plus vat), the list goes on. Plus they wanted all 10 rooms in the hotel to be used by guests on the night of the wedding otherwise we would need to pay for them if they were left empty:Eeek: Cost per double £110......

Band or disco would be needed plus other things that were on the hotel list, can't remember them all........daughter took the list with her. But this particular location sounded a complete cash drain, we'd prefer somewhere that comes as a complete package with everything all in, then at least we would know where we stand before making any decisions.

There's not going be a church involved, unlike in our day, but there's a charge to bring a registrar into the hotel to conduct the wedding service. Ah, forgot to mention space heaters and chairs:whatthe:.........the list just went on and on.

[HI]I can see us having to sell the motorhome to pay for this lot:Doh[/HI]:

Bill

Don't do that.

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Always amazes me ..

We:
got a friend who could bake make a beautiful 3 tear wedding cake ( cost £26.00 )
Got another friend to ask his mate for his roller for the day ( chap was so chuffed he actually donned a chauffeurs outfit and drove it him self ) ( Cost was a place at the reception )
Reception grub for 112 guests cooked by neighbours and friends ( total cost £150 INCLUDING 20 bottles of cheapo champers )
Evening entertainment by a couple of local bands who did the gig as a favour plus booze consumed )
Bar supplied by local pub who stood on the first round of drinks for all guests ( that took some fast talking but hey, I am good at that ! )

We did our reception at the local racecource. We provided free food & bar for the guests all day(& night). Total cost less than a grand & the guests still talk about what a wonderful time they had 10 years later.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Yes, frightening this......our daughter got engaged a few months ago and we are now trying to find a suitable wedding venue at a price we can all afford:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bill:Sad:

Bill I'm doing great deals on using my stately home for a venue, it's on an estate so plenty of parking. I, knocking up full English breakfast per guest, I'm only charging £10 per head :thumb: maximum 10 guests though and a tour around my MH as well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.. and having plenty of pics for Facebook..:RollEyes:

If a couple want an silly money wedding, let them save up for it and pay themselves.

Jaws has it spot on.. it can be done for a fraction of £25k ..

The gloss of the big day will soon wear off if they or the parents borrow to pay for it..

OP
OP
DP+JAY

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.. and having plenty of pics for Facebook..:RollEyes:

If a couple want an silly money wedding, let them save up for it and pay themselves.

The gloss of the big day will soon wear off if they or the parents borrow to pay for it..

Yes, I know a guy who wasstill paying for his daughter's wedding years after she got divorced:Doh:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yea right !!!!!!

I mentioned on a previous post that Jeannie and I are planning a trip to the West coast of Scotland and the Isle of Lewis !!!:thumb:

What I didn't mention is that we are getting married at Stornoway Register Office in May !!:Blush:

Total cost....£155 (That should cock up the averages !!) plus a slap up meal for 6 at an Hotel within walking distance of the motorhome !!.......:party2::party2::party2:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well you know I am into DIY ::bigsmile: Ann and myself were laid in bed when we decided to get married ----we planed it all for around 80 guests but MIL kept adding -well if you invite so and so you have to ask so and so :Doh:
Long story short we got a special license on Wednesday (26£) told both sets of parents late Friday night as we left their houses :thumb: Got married Saturday morning at 9 am with my sister and one of my brothers plus a mate who brought his mate present :thumb:Job done then off to a bernie inn for a steak dinner and a couple of drinks about £70 for the lot :winky:Ann always said it was the best wedding ever and a lot better than the one she had before (all bells and whistles ) even my bride was second hand, but never cheap :Doh:cost me fortunes over the yrs :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Couldn't agree more Jim. We deliberately didn't have an expensive wedding as we thought it wrong to saddle parents with big bills. Neither of our sons had (or wanted) expensive weddings either - but all the events were very enjoyable for all concerned.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Crossed post while typing
Stephen & Jeannie :thumb:::bigsmile:Way to go :thumb:we never regretted it :Smile:and Ann got a new washing machine and fridge freezer from the money we saved ::bigsmile:
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
No: 2 daughter got married nearly 10 years back, to somebody form Lancashire on Yorkshire Day, that was fun:RollEyes:

anyway to cost, We realised that to get married on A SUNDAY, not a SATURDAY and cost came down, the venue, the band, the disco, the Wedding singer,the string quartet, horse & carrage, cars, fireworks, the photo man, that man in the red coat who gets everybody where they should be, everbody tends to get less work on a Sunday so thier fees come down.

the only place that wasnt cheaper was the church fee, and that was expensive.

I should add that No:1 daughter is happly co habbiting, took the money

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I mentioned on a previous post that Jeannie and I are planning a trip to the West coast of Scotland and the Isle of Lewis !!!:thumb:

What I didn't mention is that we are getting married at Stornoway Register Office in May !!:Blush:

Total cost....£155 (That should cock up the averages !!) plus a slap up meal for 6 at an Hotel within walking distance of the motorhome !!.......:party2::party2::party2:

How lovely, that would be my dream wedding too. Cannot think of a better way, no stress or hassle.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
What a load of rubbish.

You can still have a first class wedding for many thousands less than that.

There are plenty of never worn wedding dresses on ebay and in charity shops often donated by companies changing the lines they run. Remember nearly every single wedding dress needs to be altered so a good seamstress is important but alterations dont need to cost a fortune

Hire a hall, get friends to do the catering or someone who will do a 2 course meal for you for between £7 and £10 a head.

Table decorations, table cloths, wedding favours etc can all be picked up cheaply.

Some charity shops have the top hat and tails, pageboy suits etc. We have a barnardos near to us that have a great stock of wedding items.

Go to the local college - they run media classes , get their final year students to do the wedding video/dvd. Ask the Photography tutor if he wants to use the wedding as a task for up to 4 of his top students (tutor comes too if you want). Your payment for that would be a reference for the students on the photographs as it would go towards their portfolio.

Printing invites, table setting place names, orders of service etc are easy and cheap with a computer and you can design your own.

If anyone is stuck on anything send me a PM and I will try to help

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well you know I am into DIY ::bigsmile:[HI] Ann and myself were laid in bed when we decided to get married [/HI]----we planed it all for around 80 guests but MIL kept adding -well if you invite so and so you have to ask so and so :Doh:
Long story short we got a special license on Wednesday (26£) told both sets of parents late Friday night as we left their houses :thumb: Got married Saturday morning at 9 am with my sister and one of my brothers plus a mate who brought his mate present :thumb:Job done then off to a bernie inn for a steak dinner and a couple of drinks about £70 for the lot :winky:Ann always said it was the best wedding ever and a lot better than the one she had before (all bells and whistles ) even my bride was second hand, but never cheap :Doh:cost me fortunes over the yrs :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

That's a classic Terry.. how modern.. :roflmto:

Jan and I lived together for several years and had our fist born Paul before we wed.. We made it official at the registrar in Brentwood.. and had a BBQ in our garden for the guests..

Money was tight.. so why waste it on feeding other peoples faces..

My first marriage was a full blown white wedding, church, big reception ..the works.. ended in divorce ..

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Always amazes me ..

We:

Now I do things as cheap as possible but I raise my hat to you sir.
Perhaps you could set yourself up as a " Budget wedding planner " ?

All this talk of weddings brings back memories of mine, so romantic.....

Attachments

• shotgun_wedding-620x413.jpg
    shotgun_wedding-620x413.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 19

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
That's a classic Terry.. how modern.. :roflmto:

Jan and I lived together for several years and had our fist born Paul before we wed.. We made it official at the registrar in Brentwood.. and had a BBQ in our garden for the guests..

Money was tight.. so why waste it on feeding other peoples faces..

My first marriage was a full blown white wedding, church, big reception ..the works.. ended in divorce ..

I had to have a prolonged test drive (for about a yr)) Jim ::bigsmile: As it turned out our eyes met across a crowded room and we fell in love and I ditched the girl I was out with and took Ann home instead :Smile:I even gave Ann the drink I had just bought the other girl telling her I bought it for her ::bigsmile: SMOOOOTH EH :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Our wedding cost around £6.5k inc Honeymoon.

Invitations - given as a wedding present by family member
Reg office (?)
Dress bought & suit hire ..... £700?
Photographer (£150?)
Pub sandwich lunch (£30 for several platters)
Church blessing (?)
Village hall for reception (£150) - decorated by friends & family.
Sit down meal for 150 (3 course meal cooked by a mobile catering company & very good at approx £15 / head)
Wine on sale or return from Tesco (approx. £2.50 head)
Disco - DJ was also MC (approx £150)
Evening buffet for approx 180 people. (approx £4 head)
3 week honey moon in Cyprus (£2k)

We organised it ourselves as we were paying for it and were not willing to pay the rates that we were quoted from other venues. Even their corkage fees were more than we paid for the wine from Tesco!

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
Always amazes me ..

We:

Cheapscate but also Brilliant well done!:winky:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Our son was with his girl for eight years. Then they got married - a very expensive wedding. Before their first anniversary they were divorced. :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back