How much?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DP_JAY, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Apparently the AVERAGE cost of a wedding in the UK is £25000:Eeek:
    You could buy a decent used 'van for less than that:thumb:
    Or even put a sizeable deposit on a house.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Having gone through one, with another on the way, I would say that it is very possible. my two boys and new girls kept it mostly sensible but still smacked the wrong side of 12k I blame the letter W
    try it

Birthday cake Cake £25

Wedding cake £400

Car Hire 1/2 day £30

Wedding car hire 1/2 day £1200

See:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Yes, frightening this......our daughter got engaged a few months ago and we are now trying to find a suitable wedding venue at a price we can all afford:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bill:Sad:

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Always amazes me ..

Does no one have friends or acquaintances today ?

We:
    got a friend who could bake make a beautiful 3 tear wedding cake ( cost £26.00 )
    Got another friend to ask his mate for his roller for the day ( chap was so chuffed he actually donned a chauffeurs outfit and drove it him self ) ( Cost was a place at the reception )
    The reception was held out doors with various large gazebos dotted around.
    Tables and chairs donated for a donation ( £20 ) to the local youth club
    Reception grub for 112 guests cooked by neighbours and friends ( total cost £150 INCLUDING 20 bottles of cheapo champers )
    Evening entertainment by a couple of local bands who did the gig as a favour plus booze consumed )
    Bar supplied by local pub who stood on the first round of drinks for all guests ( that took some fast talking but hey, I am good at that ! )

The only real expense was the bloody church :Doh:

• Like Like x 11
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Dont bother, live together, double income tax allowance, save the money for a deposit on first time cheap house, renovate it, flog it for tax free profit.

Buy another one and do the same, then nip down the registry office for a quickie as by then they should know they will stay together

Peter

• Like Like x 4
  6. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Jackie & I got married abroad. (2nd time round for both of us).

Flew via L.A. to Fiji, got married on the beach:thumb: (see avatar!)
    Then to NZ, Australia, Bali & Singapore, stayed in fantastic hotels, spent well, and had a party in the pub with free bar/bbq/pizza for everyone and a live band when we got back
    We were away for a month.
    Total cost - £10k - and we had the trip of a lifetime to remember rather than a day in a church/register office and some luke warm chicken supreme and cava:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Good point Peter! Our daughter and her boyfriend have been going out for over 8 years now........so we're assuming that they might last a few years:RollEyes:

But the costs of a wedding so far have been mind boggling! One place wants £38.50 per guest for the meal, plus £12.50 for each guest for the "evening" buffet, plus drinks packages on top of this, every single item on the hotel list has vat added at 20%.
    Even glasses and cutlery and napkins were on the list:Doh:
    This is before marquee hire plus everything associated with it........even chairs, napkins, space heaters, (Delivery of space heaters £200 plus vat), the list goes on. Plus they wanted all 10 rooms in the hotel to be used by guests on the night of the wedding otherwise we would need to pay for them if they were left empty:Eeek: Cost per double £110......

Band or disco would be needed plus other things that were on the hotel list, can't remember them all........daughter took the list with her. But this particular location sounded a complete cash drain, we'd prefer somewhere that comes as a complete package with everything all in, then at least we would know where we stand before making any decisions.

There's not going be a church involved, unlike in our day, but there's a charge to bring a registrar into the hotel to conduct the wedding service. Ah, forgot to mention space heaters and chairs:Eek!:.........the list just went on and on.

I can see us having to sell the motorhome to pay for this lot:Doh:

Bill

8. DP_JAY

I agree, Jay & I were together for over 20 years before we married.

9. DP_JAY

Don't do that.

10. DP_JAY

We did our reception at the local racecource. We provided free food & bar for the guests all day(& night). Total cost less than a grand & the guests still talk about what a wonderful time they had 10 years later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Bill I'm doing great deals on using my stately home for a venue, it's on an estate so plenty of parking. I, knocking up full English breakfast per guest, I'm only charging £10 per head :thumb: maximum 10 guests though and a tour around my MH as well.

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.. and having plenty of pics for Facebook..:RollEyes:

If a couple want an silly money wedding, let them save up for it and pay themselves.

Jaws has it spot on.. it can be done for a fraction of £25k ..

The gloss of the big day will soon wear off if they or the parents borrow to pay for it..

• Like Like x 3
  13. DP_JAY

Yes, I know a guy who wasstill paying for his daughter's wedding years after she got divorced:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Yea right !!!!!!

I mentioned on a previous post that Jeannie and I are planning a trip to the West coast of Scotland and the Isle of Lewis !!!:thumb:

What I didn't mention is that we are getting married at Stornoway Register Office in May !!:Blush:

Total cost....£155 (That should cock up the averages !!) plus a slap up meal for 6 at an Hotel within walking distance of the motorhome !!.......:party2::party2::party2:

• Like Like x 10
  15. Terry

Terry Funster

Well you know I am into DIY :BigGrin: Ann and myself were laid in bed when we decided to get married ----we planed it all for around 80 guests but MIL kept adding -well if you invite so and so you have to ask so and so :Doh:
    Long story short we got a special license on Wednesday (26£) told both sets of parents late Friday night as we left their houses :thumb: Got married Saturday morning at 9 am with my sister and one of my brothers plus a mate who brought his mate present :thumb:Job done then off to a bernie inn for a steak dinner and a couple of drinks about £70 for the lot :Wink:Ann always said it was the best wedding ever and a lot better than the one she had before (all bells and whistles ) even my bride was second hand, but never cheap :Doh:cost me fortunes over the yrs :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 6
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Couldn't agree more Jim. We deliberately didn't have an expensive wedding as we thought it wrong to saddle parents with big bills. Neither of our sons had (or wanted) expensive weddings either - but all the events were very enjoyable for all concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

Crossed post while typing
    Stephen & Jeannie :thumb::BigGrin:Way to go :thumb:we never regretted it :Smile:and Ann got a new washing machine and fridge freezer from the money we saved :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  18. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

No: 2 daughter got married nearly 10 years back, to somebody form Lancashire on Yorkshire Day, that was fun:RollEyes:

anyway to cost, We realised that to get married on A SUNDAY, not a SATURDAY and cost came down, the venue, the band, the disco, the Wedding singer,the string quartet, horse & carrage, cars, fireworks, the photo man, that man in the red coat who gets everybody where they should be, everbody tends to get less work on a Sunday so thier fees come down.

the only place that wasnt cheaper was the church fee, and that was expensive.

I should add that No:1 daughter is happly co habbiting, took the money

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  19. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

How lovely, that would be my dream wedding too. Cannot think of a better way, no stress or hassle.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

What a load of rubbish.

You can still have a first class wedding for many thousands less than that.

There are plenty of never worn wedding dresses on ebay and in charity shops often donated by companies changing the lines they run. Remember nearly every single wedding dress needs to be altered so a good seamstress is important but alterations dont need to cost a fortune

Hire a hall, get friends to do the catering or someone who will do a 2 course meal for you for between £7 and £10 a head.

Table decorations, table cloths, wedding favours etc can all be picked up cheaply.

Some charity shops have the top hat and tails, pageboy suits etc. We have a barnardos near to us that have a great stock of wedding items.

Go to the local college - they run media classes , get their final year students to do the wedding video/dvd. Ask the Photography tutor if he wants to use the wedding as a task for up to 4 of his top students (tutor comes too if you want). Your payment for that would be a reference for the students on the photographs as it would go towards their portfolio.

Printing invites, table setting place names, orders of service etc are easy and cheap with a computer and you can design your own.

If anyone is stuck on anything send me a PM and I will try to help

• Like Like x 2