How Much ! (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Asked my local Fiat dealer for a quote for my next service which would include a Cam belt change. I have used this dealership from day one for my servicing and they gave me reasonable discounts which made the bi-annual service reasonable I.M.O.
Not this time though. £1064.62.
They have just lost a customer.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
And I would be happy to pay it too. My son in law (owns a small car business) has put me in touch with a local servicing company who have a good reputation and I will ask them to quote me after Christmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No need, I will get it done locally at an acceptable price. I might however, give Dave the opportunity to quote for the work.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We use a local company who maintain all the local bus companies and small fleet truck companies. Always maintained my trucks when I owned them.
Full service normally around £200/£250 cambelt was £400.
So £500/£600 about the right price.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
There's a nice campsite over the road from Dave's and lots of lovely visitor attractions in Ironbridge nearby :)

Is that nice Pie Shop still open by the bridge? That's worth a visit(y)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
LOL Martin !!! I should have mentioned my local Fiat dealership offered me a 10% loyalty discount. It is what it is. The cost of servicing is becoming absurd.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Just received quote from above £1039.02

Its worth mentioning that this quote was using OEM parts as requested, the second quote we provided was around £730 but using Mann filters, Gates belt and a quality third party water pump rather than OEM parts. The Fiat OEM oil alone is over £11 per litre! Plus we forgot to mention in the two quotes that you also get 5% discount as a Funster, our apologies for this oversight. I hope this helps to clarify a few points.

For the record Janine's work was a lot cheaper because being a more mature vehicle the parts, in particular the oil, are cheaper plus as the cambelt doesn't drive the water pump there was no need to change it.

Hope this helps, D.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes Dave your correct! I thought I would respond in comparing Like for like quotes and understand that OEM parts cost more than other branded parts.
I am still waiting for other quotes to come in using non OEM parts and will see how I fare. I will almost certainly stick with OEM cam belt & water pump. I will look again at the oil as this is changed every two years and is effectively low mileage use over this period compared to commercial vehicles.
You may still be in with a shout but to be honest I'm hopeful I can get what I need locally.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
And that is absolutely fine Phil, I just wanted to make it clear to other forum users that you had asked for two prices, one using OEM parts (water pump and cam belt kit from Fiat is around £360 + vat alone) which will always be dearer and one using manufacturer quality parts as several members were seaming to say our price was excessive. Just remember there is 5% discount off the given prices please.

D.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
MoT, Full service and Cam Belt/Water Pump/Alternator belt change on our 2005 Fiat Ducato MH cost us just short of £730 last March, of which ex-VAT parts & labour were £562.

The belt kit was £115 and the pump was £101, including VAT so I'm guessing not OEM.

I'm not quite as anorakish as I sound - I've been going through the service history today prior to trading our old vehicle in tomorrow so the receipt was handy :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back