How much

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by buckley74, Sep 4, 2015.

1. buckley74

buckley74

Realistic how much would you spend on your first motorhome. I've seen some on 1998/2003 plate for up to £14000, all from dealers is that about right. I know you only get what you pay for. Any thoughts

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Think of your first van as a 'tester', you may want to change it within 12 months for a model with a different layout
    Maybe look at a cheaper model, so that you potentially lose less when you upgrade

• Like Like x 1
  3. stringa

stringa Funster

Nah then.
    I paid £13.000 for my first and probably my only motorhome it's a 1998 Peugeot wayfarer at the time of inspection it was great, but being on my tour for a month I saw loads and loads of others and it made me green with envy.....so now I'm going to spend a little or a lot a money on it to get just how I want it.....then for me it'll be as good as a new one.....hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Well there's an open ended question! :D
    We paid £31,500 for our motorhome, and we love it, obviously. Recently however, we stopped in the New Forest, and got chatting to a young couple who had an old motorhome (Renault Traffic based I think if memory serves) They paid £1,500 for it. Granted it had a little rust in places, and some unusual behaviour from some of the internal accessories, but they also loved their van. And to be fair, I had a poke around inside it, and it was a brilliant little van! :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

I spent 13k on a 1998van, that was in 2003...

Sold it for £12k in 2009, so it cost me a thousand in six years (it's probably worth 14k today....I could have made a small profit :))

Buy wisely and it doesn't have to 'cost' much money

Something like this has hardly dropped in price for years
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUTOSL...-CAMPER-VAN-/201416282373?hash=item2ee5589105

Then look at the same van five years older, it's not much cheaper
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswago...erth-Camper-/261968436732?hash=item3cfe891dfc

• Like Like x 2
  6. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

With the above in mind then, which vans tend to hold their value? I know that any one you might buy could turn out to be a dog, but all things being equal and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

We paid £4.5K for our first MH (a 1995 Swift Royale ) - just to see if we enjoyed the life. We did, and traded it in nearly three years later (for £5K) for our present MH which we've now had for two years.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

I bought new, it depends on personal needs (y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

I was trying to stretch myself to get a budget new van - but thanks to advice on here I actually ended up buying used.
    At the PBoro show I bought a 2004 Coachbuilt Ace (Swift) at about half the budget... It's a bit tatty around the edges but everything works... albeit all manual, no blingy bits

But you know what?
    It does the job - and its left a few pennies in the back pocket if it does need some TLC.
    It's more relaxing too - not fretting about getting branch scratches & dings :LOL:.

• Like Like x 3
  10. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

All in my opinion, a select few off the top of my head - I'm sure others have different ideas.
    • Autosleepers with monocoque bodies. Specifically clubman/gatcome/legend/medallion. Well loved examples will always sell quickly. Little difference in price between a 1992 and a 2000 van, even the later vans with higher spec engines don't cost much more
    • Autosleeper Trophy and Topaz. Compact Volkswagens with toilet/shower facilities. Always in demand. Little difference in price between a 1994 and a 2000 van. Later vans cost a bit more but are often in nearly new condition
    • All the other Autosleepers. There's some tatty and overpriced examples around but also some fantastic loved vehicles around at reasonable prices. I'm thinking Trident, Duetto, Symbol, Pollenesa, Ravena
    • Autotrail's are always popular, particularly at dealers, where they sell for top dollar. There are lots out there, occasionally bargains do come up with private sellers.
    Historically, I would have suggested Hymer A class, however with the current strength of Sterling, vans on the Continent look a lot cheaper, so perhaps European vans in the UK are overpriced ? Bearing this in mind, I'm not so sure they're the great investment they were...
    Putting that to one side, 2002-2006 Hymer A class look pretty cheap compared to the slightly older vans, or even compared to the new shape post 2007 vans.
    • Hymer Starline purchased wisely will never lose much
    • Hymer 'Classic' coachbuilts. Some sellers will try for top dollar but for the most part they are crazy good value. Occasionally 2004-2006 vans pop up for 16-20k. They're so much van for the money, I have no idea why they sell for so little...
    Always look out for private sellers who need to sell quickly. Some real bargains out there, I think having a good knowledge, being willing to travel and act quickly helps.

I'm sure there's plenty of other examples, I couldn't possibly write a comprehensive list, hope this helps !

• Like Like x 2
  11. buckley74

buckley74

I will keep looking. I think when I find one I like I will know and I suppose it doesn't matter of the age because even new ones can turn out to be lemons.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Fella on here (oddsocks) bought an E Reg Merc that someone had up dated inside the latest gear, and, as far as I know he is still swanning around Iberia over a year later.
    Any M/H, you can make your own, a light here, L E D s there, new stove, T V points, w- h- y, bit of bling, tow bar the list is endless, whatever suites you or your budget.

• Like Like x 4
  13. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Thanks, that's a very helpful starting point and some food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We bought a VW Trooper camper (elevating roof, rock'n roll bed,) limited space but great fun for 9,000.
    Traded the Trooper in several years later for 9.500 against a coachbuilt MH, then a few years on traded that for a Hymer, leftie, 3 berth, with loads of extras!

• Like Like x 1
  15. TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Mr TB has said he wouldn't rule out a leftie - is there a re-sale issue with them? I guess I'm worried in case we want to try and move onto another moho

• Like Like x 1
  16. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

We spent 22k 5 years ago on a 2004 Autocruise starspirit. 3 owners and only 8k miles.
    After over two years of making up beds we'd had enough and sold it in favour of a van with a bedroom.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Paid 7 k for our six berth Hymer. Best money I ever spent. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

First one 47k, second one considerably more.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Paid 9k€uro on our Adria Adriatik last october. 1999 model with 57k miles, 2.8 litre engine......Love it! 1391530_398109533649622_348911512_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Big bus man

Big bus man

Buying a motorhome is like buying a house, you know it's right when you walk in and if it fits all your requirements it is the one for you. My advice is find the right vehicle, what you really want is probably more than you can afford but don't let that stop you, you can get loans over 10 years these days and with the right van it won't loose a great deal of money but you will have a van that will keep you happy for many years without that desire to 'upgrade'.

• Like Like x 1