How much work do you do on your van ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JimboT, Sep 24, 2014.

1. JimboT

JimboT Funster

As not using for a few weeks.
    Putting in new shower tap, changing old micro switches on bathroom and bathroom taps fitted extra awning lighting.
    Fitting extra 240v sockets in lounge area.
    Might fit a shower tap in garage.
    Fitting brackets in garage so everything has a fixing point.
    Will get everything how we want it, but going to NEC show so all this work could be for nothing if we upgrade!
    Jim

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Then you won't want/need to upgrade.

People don't move house because they don't like something about it, they make it exactly what they want.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Same as you and do it all myself :)

Saves money, gives me a project and helps me learn the dynamics of the vehicle (y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

I do as much as I can to our van unless it's seriously more than my tiny brain can work out.
    Usually cheaper & I'm keener to do it properly rather than quickly.
    Having said that, I never compromise when it comes to safety( as far as I'm aware anyway).
    I've learned quite a bit about the old bus just by crawling underneath & generally exploring it's nooks & crannies(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I didn't know you were a politician.

• Like Like x 3
  6. JimboT

JimboT Funster

7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Now I know there are some large RV's out there, but do they really have lifts in them :Eeek::rofl:

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am a constant tinkerer. Of I did not have a motorhome to play with it would be back to boats, and they cost a fortune.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Oddly, did most of your list this past week..
    Had to change the shower mixer tap ( its a thermostatic jobby and at some time in its past, someone had not drained down properly and it had frozen and wrecked its self )
    Fitted another solar panel, extra large batteries, modified the internal loom ( again .. it is slowly getting where I like it.. Autotrail has gone up in my estimation re build quality but the way it is wired ? naahhhh ! )
    Refitted a bit of external trim where the cab joins the hab area
    Sorted out one of the rear lights which had been bodged in place at some time
    Fitted an extra 12v socket in the hab area for another usb charging point
    Fitted another 12v point in the shower cabinet so I have somewhere I can plug the whale pump in when I use the rolly polly to fill up with water away from a tap
    Fitted an extra entry handle so there is somewhere on both sides of the door to hold on to when getting in and out
    Partially fixed a wee problem of the entry step inside the van that seems to have sagged over the years.. Got to revisit that though .. still not happy
    Fitted a rear view twin camera set up as the one that was on the van ( original fitting ) was pee poor

Just got a pair of wall type awning leg supports through the post from Rose Awnings which I will proly fit tomorrow at the show ground :)
    And will be starting to suss out a decent mount point for a chicken box and antenna when we get back from the show.. It is quite a problem as there is little space on/under the dash for the radio AND mounting the antenna is fun on a motorhome too ! Proly use a lip mount on the back of the bonnet and add a bonding strap from bonnet to body to ensure a decent ground plane (y)

There..
    Bet you wished you hadn't asked now don't you !!! LOL !!!:rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  10. JimboT

JimboT Funster

One job i have no experience in is plastic welding have a crack in one rear skirt have looked on up machine about £80 comes with various filler patch from what I can ascertain is i will work or you will need to replace panel if it does not work or you get settings wrong.
    Jim

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You do not need the gun Jim..
    Just get a couple of ABS filler rods mate.. For small stuff I use small 25w soldering iron, for slightly larger stuff a 100w Weller soldering gun, and for BIG stuff a chefs torch.. The weller would be just fine for the bumper

If you would like a description of how to do it ring me some time ( 01842 754415 or 0781 8822887 )
    I am usually working and available from 9am to 10pm daily ( will be on the mobile number this weekend as we will be at Lincoln )

If you would like a visual check, pop up to Thetford some time for a demonstration... It is REALLY easy to do ...

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Well, I washed my van again on Sunday before we went out for the day. Does that count?
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I am envious of all the skills you all seem to share but which seem to have passed me by.............comprehensively. As I said in all honesty on another thread. Mrs BB only allows me into B&Q when accompanied by an adult and I am never ever allowed near anything electrical, gaseous or to do with water, tiling, cement or paint.:cry: Especially gloss paint.:cry: Don't ask about the gloss paint.:eek:

• Like Like x 5
  14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I've got a swift group Motorhome, working on it one of the joys of ownership :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I envy the skills out there. Touch wood I don't have any little jobs outstanding on my van as it is just coming up to 12 months old but my sister (also a Funsters) is accumulating quite a list: latest problem is the rear door on her Pioneer got caught in the wind and blew right back causing the support rod on the top to bow. With a bit of man handling we did manage to close the door but now have to be very careful! List of outstanding little jobs also include fridge door catch, hab light bulbs x 2 ( can't find out how to remove the covers!) magnetic catch on windscreen blinds, and the ratchet on the Hiki . Can anyone recommend a knowledgeable repairer in north Lancs/South Cumbria that doesn't charge a fortune?

16. kcy

kcy Funster

Very proud of my Steve he can fix anything and when we're on a site has enough gear with him to fix everyone else's MH and often does. (y)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Herman ze German

Herman ze German Read Only Funster

Started working on some changes last week . Lowering the height of the single bed over the rear storage area by 3 inches , yes thats alot ......ask any bloke ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Souix, good to hear, proves what a helpful bunch Funsters really are.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I should mention my skill set ends very abruptly at 'things wood' !!!!

Plumbing, electrical, electronics, metal, plastics, not a problem..

Wood ? I can proly get by and have all the theory, but for some reason seem incapable of making something that looks nice ( I have put some of my work forward for consideration by the Turner Prize committee LOL !!!! )

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Do they not come supplied with a full carpenters tool box, damp meter, a box of silicone sealer and a subscription to Practical Motorhome ?

• Like Like x 1