How much will you pay or have paid for a campsite (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We were staying on an Aire near La Rochelle last year and heard a couple of 'clunks' after we'd gone to bed, kind of said Oh slam your door a bit harder why don't you? as you do, then went to sleep.

Got up next morning because a car kept driving round and round so eventually you poke your nose out for a look, anyway there was a trailer tent right next to us! A lady and some children, we heard her speak English and wondered what was going on. They'd been on a campsite elsewhere, had come up to the coast and had been very delayed en route, arrived but couldn't find a campsite, been driving round looking for hours - all full (we'd seen exactly the same at every site we'd passed when we'd arrived the previous afternoon) Anyway about midnight - with 3 kids - they'd had enough so had looked for a carpark, hoping to just sleep for a bit. So they'd pulled into the carpark - as they thought - it had been a carpark but was now an extension of the Aire by the beach at Le Aytre - and finding half a dozen empty spaces had half-erected the trailer tent and slept.

Coppers came round at 07.30 and gave em half an hour to get off! - husband meanwhile had unloaded his bike and gone to have another look for a site, so she was packing up on her own and terrified they'd be arrested. We were totally gobsmacked they'd got the thing up so quietly.

Anyway the long and short of it was, they'd been paying 65 Euros a night for camping - OK with water slides and bars and this that and the other - but flipping heck!

We offerred em use of the loo etc and made em a drink - what a nightmare for them.

I spose if you have a family with teenagers etc it is their holiday too and if you want those facilities then you do have to pay it but heck, I'm flipping glad we don't!!!!

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
We have just lashed out for 3 nights at the Warwick Racecourse site as a stop over en route to the Peterborough show. £19.65 total ::bigsmile:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
If I have to pay a tenner for a cl or cs it breaks my heart. I have paid 19 quid for a site in Scotland in 2008, but only cos we left it a bit late to shop around. It brought tears to my eyes.:cry:

I would never ever ever ever pay 60 or 70 quid no matter what it's got, that is just a rip off in my book. We have three kids and they are more than happy with the 5 van sites.:thumb:

Steve

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
One things for sure if I had them they would be adopting to the way we want to do things

Barry if you had kids, you would know different ::bigsmile:

Just booked a week at a 3C holiday site, £13 a night with leccy. :thumb:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
not often

we are booked on ayr in st ives for new year as fantastic party there , i think this is about £25 a night with electric etc , this is one of the few sites i have been on which is worth the money as real luxury shower block ( best i have ever seen on a campsite and even better than quite a few hotels i have been in ) and so clean and well kept

loch ness is booked for july and seems very good value as we want to be on the loch , freinds staying in a log cabin there so get to use their hot tub etc , so bonus

disney booked twice this year and car park is great as free with our passes

rest of hols away from sites as really down enjoy them that much and makes hols far to dear to justify the m.home when we can have superb breaks in tranquil sea view spots for a fraction of the cost

just my opinion and everyone has there own view on where to stay and what to pay

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
One things for sure if I had them they would be adopting to the way we want to do things so once they were old enough they would be turfed out into the wilderness to make their own entertainment, not onto some plastic Haven campsite.

I know this is about campsite fees, and now after your CC letter you are nothing but a fraud.... I mean, £10 per night in WInter,, I would never pay that much in winter, its free or not at all. tut tut,. see we're all different.

But I cant help laughing at the bit quoted :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I bet there is not a parent on here who said, aimed and failed at that above statement.

But I don't think people should knock us that are prepared to shell out for some luxury every now and then. :soaobox:

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
The most we have ever paid was £20 a night at Searles, Hunstanton Christmas '09, to us it was well worth the money because they had pool which kept Emily quiet and it was too cold to go on the beach ::bigsmile:. Cheapest places we stop are Royal Corinthian and Royal Burnham Yacht clubs - FOC with EHU :winky:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I know this is about campsite fees, and now after your CC letter you are nothing but a fraud.... I mean, £10 per night in WInter,, I would never pay that much in winter, its free or not at all. tut tut,. see we're all different.

I bet there is not a parent on here who said, aimed and failed at that above statement.

But I don't think people should knock us that are prepared to shell out for some luxury every now and then. :soaobox:

Actually some of the CL's are more expensive in Winter as they assume you will use more electric and thats a fact.

Ok so some of you think im being naive about how I would treat my children if I had any. When we were kids we did what our parents wanted us to or allowed us to. My dad was a Cricketer so weekends were spent at one Cricket Ground or another. We made our own entertainment which generally involved playing cricket, cycling, climbing trees etc etc. The point is we made our entertainment around what the parents wanted to do.

Kids seem to rule the roost these days. They cost a fortune as they always want the latest this or that and parents seem to think that spending huge amounts of money on them to Disney land and theme parks is a good thing. Why do they have to be entertained or have the latest mobile phone?

I had a great childhood without all this rubbish so I dont see why things would be different now for my kids if I had any.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We made our own entertainment which generally involved playing cricket, cycling, climbing trees etc etc.
I had a great childhood without all this rubbish so I dont see why things would be different now for my kids if I had any.[/FONT][/COLOR]

But just think, if XBox 360's and mobile phones and theme parks had been around in your day - you would have wanted them just as badly as today's kids! ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Well, we must be the odd parents ... I've brought up six kids , one still in the nest , Charlotte, and in 30 + years we have never used the all singing dancing sites..
We have visited water parks, and the odd fair ground and we took Chaz to Disney land, but that's it.

Beaches, rivers, lakes, forests, mountains, enjoying boating, sailing, canoeing, fishing, skiing, surfing, snorkelling, cycling, walking and even the Sahara desert have been their play grounds .. and none has ever asked to go to a site with a fair ground..

My avatar shows how happy a child can be on the beach ..

but each to their own.... we must be the odd ball parents

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well, we must be the odd parents ... I've brought up six kids , one still in the nest , Charlotte, and in 30 + years we have never used the all singing dancing sites..
We have visited water parks, and the odd fair ground and we took Chaz to Disney land, but that's it.

Beaches, rivers, lakes, forests, mountains, enjoying boating, sailing, canoeing, fishing, skiing, surfing, snorkelling, cycling, walking and even the Sahara desert have been their play grounds .. and none has ever asked to go to a site with a fair ground..

My avatar shows how happy a child can be on the beach ..

but each to their own.... we must be the odd ball parents

Im sorry Jim but that's double dutch,

You say we have visited water parks, and even gone to disney land? but thats it?

I on the other hand have done none of that with my kids?

all we have done though is once a year for a few nights, spend a few extra quid on a camps site. As well as doing all the other things you mention, (except the sahara)

So whats your point?

And one favourite saying I read. "never think your a succesfull parent untill your kids are well in to their nineties.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I think you might be in a minority Jim by the sound of it but I totally agree with you. Im going to tread carefully here as I dont have children (by choice) so I dont want to upset anyone who has and thinks Im talking guff as I dont understand but even when we were growing up in the 70's plenty of kids were spoiled rotten where we lived but we werent. I never had designer gear or lavish holidays, even my flipping Action Man was a bad copy! My parents were not badly off either.

All I wanted to do was go camping and get out on the water in me canoe. I dare say I would have liked an Xbox and we did have video games when they came out but they were only used now and again. We would rather be out on our bikes causing havoc in the neighborhood. Im proud of the way my parents brought us up and I would like to think if I had children I would want them to experience a similar upbringing and appreciate the things that matter.

Ill get off my soap box now before I start annoying people!.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Even going to the pictures with kids cost an arm and a leg.

I can understand parent looking for all singing and dancing site for them.

I nowadays want a quiet life so a tenner a night or less suit me although if there's a pool and sauna I will pay what's required.

I cant understand how normal parents cope with x box's designer labels and computers.

Take my hat off to you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Im sorry Jim but that's double dutch,

You say we have visited water parks, and even gone to disney land? but thats it?

I on the other hand have done none of that with my kids?

all we have done though is once a year for a few nights, spend a few extra quid on a camps site. As well as doing all the other things you mention, (except the sahara)

So whats your point?

And one favourite saying I read. "never think your a succesfull parent untill your kids are well in to their nineties.

Sorry you couldn't understand ..

We have visited a couple of water parks in Spain , and also municipal swimming pools in France and Germany when the weather was inclement .. the visit to Disney was a Xmas present to Chaz from a friend.. which she later described as a let down and a waste of money..

My point is that it's each to their own , we have never felt the need to spend money on sites to keep the kids amused .. no right or wrong ..

Don't know why you have introduced parenting skills, but since you have,

One is living in S Africa with a wife and good job
One is living in Canada also married.
One was in the Glasgow Police , but has since left and started a business.
Paul our youngest son has flown the nest last year and is working and living in Kent
One is a drop out and lives on the social ... well can't get them all right :roflmto:

Four out of five isn't a bad record

and my only daugher, Chaz , home schooled for three years but now doing well in full time education.

I never said I was a good parent, others will judge that, what I said was I have never found a need or been pressured into to staying on a theme park camp site.

Each to their own..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
We would rather be out on our bikes causing havoc in the neighborhood. Im proud of the way my parents brought us up and I would like to think if I had children I would want them to experience a similar upbringing and appreciate the things that matter.

Ill get off my soap box now before I start annoying people!.

Im sorry Barry, but you need to take the rose tinted specs of mate. I too grew up in your era, I too grew up on a rough tough and ready council estate full of un savouries and there is very little difference in our ages although Im 3 years younger. :Tongue1:

The world is a different place, people are different life is different. In another thread you talk about being in IT so you of all people should know that. My kids do appreciate what matters as far as I am concerned, what matters to them is different to what mattered to us, that you will have to trust me on.

Why is all relevent to your thread on campsite prices? well simply because you asked the question and have been like a dog with a bone ever since I dare mention that we were prepared to pay what ever the going rate was to enjoy life as a family. Within this thread it appears that others seem to think that our method is not different but wrong. Those others include someone with out children and someone without a motorhome and of course in a thread like this everyone else whos kids are grown up and live in a different era, mostly the era we grew up in. That's why, yeah, it does annoy me.

Even going to the pictures with kids cost an arm and a leg.

I can understand parent looking for all singing and dancing site for them.

I nowadays want a quiet life so a tenner a night or less suit me although if there's a pool and sauna I will pay what's required.

I cant understand how normal parents cope with x box's designer labels and computers.

Take my hat off to you

Thank you John, normally alcohol helps ::bigsmile: but in seriousness I often ask the same question.

Sorry you couldn't understand ..

My point is that it's each to their own , we have never felt the need to spend money on sites to keep the kids amused .. no right or wrong ..

Don't know why you have introduced parenting skills, but since you have,

Each to their own..

Well Jim, Having met Chaz all but briefly, I am sure that if your others are like her, then you are proud.

I never introduced parenting skills. As said earlier, through this thread there seems to be an implication that people like myself who want to spend a few quid must in some way be letting our children run our lives. That from people without, kids, a motorhome or those with kids that are grown up.

If more people stated that it was each to there own as you do, then it would not be an issue., but they don't. So many of these type threads end up with the modern day parent getting a kicking, especially on the other channel.
I was asked a question, I answered it fairly, others should understand its called choice.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It would not do if we all liked the same things being human makes us all different I would not dream of paying a lot of money for a site but I respect the fact that some people are not as tight as me:ROFLMAO:. Some would not pay the sort of money I paid for my van and get fantastic holidays in an old banger it really does take all sorts life would be very boring if we were all the same:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Our four kids are so deprived that they have NEVER had a television in the house. :Eeek:

But then we do stay on Haven sites quite often because the kids are home educated and we can stay for £6 a night, rather than £60 in high season. Cheaper than visiting the local swimming pool. :thumb:

They have an XBox but are just as happy taking their sheath knives into the garden or the local woods and whittling sticks for an hour or two. The four year old Upper Daughter received her first Swiss Army Knife a week ago and forgot all about Barbie for a while. :RollEyes:

All kids will be happy with whatever opportunities present themselves. Give them the latest video game and they will be happy for a couple of hours; just as happy as they would be with a stick and a cardboard box.

Disneyland or a wet Wiltshire field?
Nintendo DS or a pack of crayons?
27-gear mountain bike or a hoop and stick?

All decent parents appreciate the 'things that matter' and what matters is the relationship you build with each child.
All the rest is irrelevant.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its not just about pleasing the kids for me, just as some people holiday in 5 star hotels, I like to holiday in 5 star campsites now and then when I can afford it, which thanks to Gorden won't be anytime soon. :Angry: Its not for everyone, and if you and yours are happier in a field, good on you.

Olley

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Im sorry Barry, but you need to take the rose tinted specs of mate. I too grew up in your era, I too grew up on a rough tough and ready council estate full of un savouries and there is very little difference in our ages although Im 3 years younger. :Tongue1:

Why is all relevent to your thread on campsite prices? well simply because you asked the question and have been like a dog with a bone ever since I dare mention that we were prepared to pay what ever the going rate was to enjoy life as a family. Within this thread it appears that others seem to think that our method is not different but wrong. Those others include someone with out children and someone without a motorhome and of course in a thread like this everyone else whos kids are grown up and live in a different era, mostly the era we grew up in. That's why, yeah, it does annoy me.

If more people stated that it was each to there own as you do, then it would not be an issue., but they don't. So many of these type threads end up with the modern day parent getting a kicking, especially on the other channel.
I was asked a question, I answered it fairly, others should understand its called choice.:thumb:

I knew I would upset someone. I am Sorry that was never my intention. Im not judging anyones parenting skills and I appologise if thats what it seemed like. Its just an interesting debate and there is no right or wrong here just a wide difference of what we like to do and the reasons we do it.

All I was trying to say is that kids seem to rule the roost a bit too much these days. I knew we were on a sticky wicket though as soon as kids are mentioned people seem to get a little touchy and defensive.

adenough

Free Member
Sep 12, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
One is a drop out and lives on the social ... well can't get them all right

Four out of five isn't a bad record

Maybe he is happy though. Takes guts sometimes to drop out and live with less. Bet you love em all though no matter what? I do with all of mine and they each drive me mad at times in their own way.:Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Its such a shame this thread could not have just been kept to how much people were prepared to pay for a site, without commenting on peoples own reasoning/preferences.

All I was trying to say is that kids seem to rule the roost a bit too much these days. I knew we were on a sticky wicket though as soon as kids are mentioned people seem to get a little touchy and defensive.

I would totally disagree that kids seem to rule the roost a bit too much and am sorry if that is your experience. I certainly dont recall seeing this at any of the rallies or meets that we have been to. The children have mixed well together and been extremely well behaved.

We have one child. He has strict bedtimes even on holidays. He does as he is told when he is told (most of the time) and has been brought up to be polite and respectful. All kids have off days but not all kids have designer clothes and Xboxes. We cant afford an Xbox or Playstation 3.

We mainly stay on sites but occasionally wild camp so we get the best of both worlds.

I pay for our holidays and I book them. When choosing a site and the area surrounding the site, I look at what we can do as a family and our own individual interests.

We are quite diverse with differing interests. Its a question of choosing somewhere thats in our budget and where each of us individually can do something we really enjoy that perhaps we wouldnt normally take time to do.

As we only have one child it is also important that he mixes in a safe environment with other children where we can "supervise from a distance" as opposed to him having to be by our side.

I can however fully understand why families go to commercial sites such as Haven. Although they seem more expensive, for the activities provided, they are far cheaper than days out. As an example it cost £27.50 for three of us to go to the cinema, last half term and £14 at the local swimming pool.

A family ticket to London Zoo is now just over £53.00 which effectively is 2, 3, 4 or 5 days camping dependent on individual preference.

I put up a summer meet on the rallies/meets list for August.

I have read through the various comments on sites which have numerous amenities and did NOT choose it because we have a son. I chose it because I took into account the different ages and make ups of all the members on motorhome fun. I actually thought it would be ideal as there would pretty much be something for everyone no matter what age or ability. That way everyone would have at least one thing they would be able to say they enjoyed on their return.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi Chatter CCC holiday site sounds interesting, do you have to book? I am a member.

Olley

Hi Olley just to get in on the act the South West Penninsula group of the MCC are holding a Holiday Rally down in Trevornick Holiday Park, just outside Newquay from 5th - 19th June
This is a full facility site and we are only charging £13.50 inc EHU per night.If you google Trevornick it will give you all the details on there web site.

This is the MAXIMUM I would pay for a pitch per night Its normaly a lot less.

We all have our reasons for having the Motorhome, in our case its because My wife is wheelchair bound and has awkward sleep patterns which dont lend them selves to Coach Trips, Hotels and all other organised style holidays. We do what we want when we want.

The RV being self sufficient means we can go for up to 7 days without having to move to empty or fill up water etc. Which is what happens when we go to Great Dorset Steam Fair( thinking back to last year that was the dearest venue we went to at £33.50 per night, but well worth it )

Brian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Pete they recommend booking this one in the mag as it gets so busy, just sent a cheque of for £45 to secure it. The MCC one sounds good as well Brian, maybe next year. :thumb:

Trade has been crap the last couple of years so I guess we will be sunning/hiding under a brolly in the UK for the next few years. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

I totally agree Paul , no one should need to defend their choice of site.
It goes without say that we are all different, in different circumstances, with different budgets, with different vans using them in all sorts of different ways..

I am in an unusual situation, I have two grand kids, (one is the same age as Chaz) , so I am of the 'old schoool' . My older kids are not much younger than some Fun members.. :roflmto: So I can understand both 'camps' , ( no pun intended ).

I spoke out because I felt that it was being assumed that all families were the same.. and clearly they are not, just as above, families are all different ..

This is a fun hobby and a fun site.. the main thing is that we have fun .. WHATEVER site we choose.. NO right or wrong :thumb:

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
The haven site in Parranporth (perran sands) wanted to charge me £40 per night for 3 adults and £4.50 for me dog. This was several years ago. admittedly in high season.

Its a lovely site i will admit but they assume that i wanted to spend even more money swilling lager at £3 a pint in their club which is why they said the price was highere...it gave free membership of the club :ROFLMAO:

Went to the site just outside the gates at less than half that price.

Phill

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
The haven site in Parranporth (perran sands) wanted to charge me £40 per night for 3 adults and £4.50 for me dog. This was several years ago. admittedly in high season.

Its a lovely site i will admit but they assume that i wanted to spend even more money swilling lager at £3 a pint in their club which is why they said the price was highere...it gave free membership of the club :ROFLMAO:

Went to the site just outside the gates at less than half that price.

Phill

£4.50 for your dog!!!!:Eeek:

That really is taking the P$ss. Did he get to use the showers, pool etc?

Maybe we should turn it around and see what the cheapest site is anyones been on. Ill start. £5 in the lake district, basically a field with water and waste and nothing else. Ive seen them on the CC Cl page as low as £3.50 though.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Ive been enjoying the thread about the daftest things a warden has said to you and having put my two peneth in about what I think of clubs sites I started wondering how much people would be prepared to pay or have paid for a nights camping.

People probably think im just being tight but I dont like paying more than a tenner (if I have to pay anything at all that is).

Whats the most you have paid, where and why?

Whats the most you would be prepared to pay?

I have heard some horror stories about some campsites in Europe costing over £40 and I know of some friends who paid nearly this much in Italy. Surely this isnt the norm though.

Thanks
Barry

Only ever been in 2 UK sites and don't intend to repeat the exercise unless absolutely necessary.

So I suppose my answer to the #2 question is zero.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back