Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Wow. Emptied van Sunday. Of everything. The floor and settees in the Conservatory. is full.A big vow. TO downside the gear . Got to be strict. Ready to change van. in March.
We're changing our van too and are just as amazed at how much we actually managed to fit into the old van. It's all bagged up in the lounge and under the spare bed at the moment. There is no way that it is all going into the new van. Why do we do it?!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
[QUOTE="sedge, post: 1756113, member: 7396"

* other than teaspoons - they breed, both in the van and at home.[/QUOTE]
That's where ours have gone then...... mystery solved, we lose them.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I had just finished washing up when I read this, so a quick count shows that in our van we have:

18 plates
12 bowls
3 frying pans
9 other pans
Slow cooker
Rice cooker
Yoghurt maker
Food processor
About twenty mugs
Twenty glasses

And all of it gets used
:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just thinking about my stuff ! And realised I've got 4 salad /fruit bowls some with lids! Then just had to have the collapsible bowl aswell as my argument it doesn't take up much space! It wouldn't if I got rid of the rest! May take them to sell at Chester!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I take the Jewson Lot!!!! :D

Electric blanket (for when on EHU), hot water bottles for when off grid! I take spare this, spare that. Plastic grids for the wheels (in case it's boggy) ropes/ lashings, flag pole. I ain't happy until the van's sideways profile looks like a speedboat.

Because I've just taken the van for it's vehicle service and hab check, 99% of it's contents are now spread between garage and summer cabin.

FOUR 64 litre stackable boxes are full, as are numerous other crates and boxes. There isn't a garage shelf or surface that hasn't got a bowl, toilet stuff, warning square, cover, extinguisher, or compressor/battery booster on it!

Assorted maps, coats, wellies, clothes, adaptors etc remain dormant in the house, along with a cased TV satellite system (plus a manual dish that I meant to get rid of!)

I don't DO de-cluttering...... I work on the premise, "Better to take it and not need it, than not take it and find I need it" (y)

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
There is a school of thought that you can replace your just-in-case items in 20 minutes for $20. It is hard to do and there will be times I imagine when you are not near anywhere to buy something but if it's not an emergency does it matter.

"We often hold on to things just in case we need them: We don’t let go because we might need something in some far-off, nonexistent, hypothetical future. We pack too much stuff in the remotest chance we might need something for trips and vacations.

We needn’t hold on to these things just in case: We rarely use our just-in-case items—they sit there, take up space, get in the way, weigh us down. Most of the time they aren’t items we need at all.

Instead, if we remove the just-in-case items from our lives, we get them out of the way and free up the space they consume.

Over the last few years, the two of us let go of the vast majority of our just-in-case possessions. And during our last book tour, we made sure we didn’t pack anything just in case.

Then we tested our hypothesis: the 20/20 Rule.

Anything we get rid of that we truly need, we can replace for less than $20 in less than 20 minutes from our current location. Thus far, this hypothesis has become a theory that has held true 100% of the time. Although we’ve rarely had to replace a just-in-case item (fewer than five times for the two of us combined), we’ve never had to pay more than $20 or go more than 20 minutes out of our way to replace the item. This theory likely works 99% of the time for 99% of all items and 99% of all people—including you.

More important, we haven’t missed the hundreds of just-in-case items we’ve gotten rid of, and we didn’t need to replace most of them.

Getting rid of these items clears our minds, frees up our space, and takes the weight off our shoulders.

What are you holding on to just in case?"

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We had a big clear out a couple of years ago. Not needed anything we took out. But we do carry lots of stuff that we only use now and then. But we use the excuse that we get get foster kids at short notice. But we do try not to fill my van up again.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've just had a couple of days with a long-time friend who is a keen cyclist. Her "easy day" would be 70 miles........ everything she packs is essential as she has to pedal power it to where ever she ends up..... the only thing that raises eyebrows is that she takes her knitting (she knits socks) and always jokes that she must be the only cyclist to buy sock wool in Germany and post it ahead to where she should be in a few days!

As she is also in her 60s there are often raised eyebrows when she cycles onto a site, sets up her tent and people realise she isn't a youngster. She also quilts and kayaks so we have a lot on common..... our visit was because she'd won a rosette at the Edinburgh Quilt show and I was basking in reflected glory when we went to see the quilt in all it's glory. She has talked me into doing something for the 2017 challenge though......

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We have empty cupboards but why not, I don't believe in carrying unused stuff around just for the sake of it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not as much as we used to despite getting a longer PVC! Every now and then I'll go through stuff and remove it if its not been used (except emergency stuff) but then I'll also go through the stuff I had already removed and check if there's anything in it that we 'needed' but didn't have with us.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Martin swears by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the stuff you use only 20% of the time so do you really need it? Likewise 20% of the stuff takes up 80% of the space / payload so what can you get rid of or do better / dual duty???

It is important to clear out regularly, we thought we did pretty well with the van but even so there were 3 packs of playing cards in there. It is the paper rubbish that accumulates, the tickets from the parking machines that get put into a pocket, odd coins and the like that seem to accumulate...

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
we carry just 2 of everything crockery wise but have some paper plates tucked away in case of visitors. We are not totally antisocial though as we have 4 wine glasses :D

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I wonder if it's because we were bikers for many years that went on holiday for two weeks or more carrying everything we needed in two panniers and a top box.
Nope, that can't be it, doesn't work for us.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We too were bikers and oft times camped in France on one or other of the bikes. However - I heaved a sigh of total relief when we got the Moho - I dunno how many pairs of shoes/sandals I must have in there ...... and clean towels LOL

I have the feeling that Sod's Law is bound to apply - we may indeed never use the whatever it is - but it's almost a foregone conclusion that if we take it out and leave it at home - then we WILL need the blasted thing!

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We too were bikers and oft times camped in France on one or other of the bikes. However - I heaved a sigh of total relief when we got the Moho - I dunno how many pairs of shoes/sandals I must have in there ...... and clean towels LOL

I have the feeling that Sod's Law is bound to apply - we may indeed never use the g ittwhatever it is - but it's almost a foregone conclusion that if we take it out and leave it at home - then we WILL need the blasted thing!
I do that has well , my wife calls It a senior moement(n)

?

Deleted User
Little as possible. Hate packing and worrying about things like , what do i need, what if i go here, what if this happens.

Clothes, cash, tickets/passports/documents, Motor tip top then good to go. When i first started going to Germany on the bike i would take a ruck sack with all i need for a week.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Since coming back from the Caravan and Motorhomeshow a few weeks ago mum is now the proud owner of a new small hoover and a new microwave which just got delivered on Saturday. These will be 95% ornaments as most of our time we spend wild camping. Oh and she is off to buy one of those lakeland drainers spmeone posted about recently.

Its this forum that puts ideas into her head and now shes on a roll I fear next soneone will start a new genny thread and that will also be bought.:LOL:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We pack light to be able to bring back more wine!!!!. They always say when you go on holiday take half as much and a little more money but can only remember a few times we have had to buy stuff we didn't pack and there are shops even abroad.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Best way to do it is empty the van completely then put a change of undies a bar of soap and a bottle of wine in, absolutely nothing else. Then take the van away for the weekend and make a list of anything that you feel that you really could do with.....that's it job done.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back