How much payload is enough for 2 people? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The list of essential equipment has got me thinking … how much does all that weigh? Then you’ve got all the stuff you need to live for a week, even if you’re eating out you need breakfast and lunch – that’s a couple of pans, plates, cups, glasses, a fridge full of beer and wine, a couple of bottles of the good stuff …

The minimum payload on the vans I’m short-listing is 475 kg. Now I wouldn’t know a Killer granny (Kg) from my elbow and I’m not any better at tonnes. So what do you all think? The max I can see is 650 Killer grannies which I presume is more than reasonable. Is 475 enough for two people and their gear (no bikes, two laptops, an outdoor table and two chairs?). I'm not looking for a scientific answer obviously and I suppose I can weigh some things in advance, I just don't want to buy something with a silly small payload that will never work.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
There will be a plate somewhere on the vehicle (VIN plate?) that shows the key weights.

Upvote 0

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
It may have been mentioned before but the 3500Kg Chassis rating is, more often than not, just a way to allow many "younger" drivers the ability to legally drive it off the forecourt.
I only learned about this by chance really.

Many 3500Kg rated Motorhomes are capable of carrying more on their chassis, but a chassis rated at >3500Kg requires a C1 license rating to drive.

People of a certain age, like me, passed their test in a time when that meant you could automatically drive up to 7500Kg (C1) , fly a plane, captain a Hovercraft and co-pilot Helicopters. They basically threw it all at you
(Note. Some of those entitlements may not be quite true).

I think C1 was no longer automatically added post 1997 so possibly some "middle-aged" people won't have it either.

Anyhow, the point is that many MHs are rated at 3500Kg purely to allow anyone to drive one, rather than for structural integrity reasons.

If you have C1 then there's a chance you could "up-plate" your vehicle beyond 3500Kg without any physical changes being made to the vehicle, just an admin change (and cost of course).
Of course some vehicles may requires upgrades to tyres and suspension. Naturally you'd need to check on a vehicle by vehicle basis.

Note. "up-plating" would affect resale potential though. Only people with C1 could legally drive it without "down-plating" admin change or passing a C1 test.

I "up-plated" my Hymer B544 to 3850Kg. That immediately gained me 350Kg of capacity with just an admin change. (Actually the dealership paid for it all because they mistakenly advertised it as 4000Kg).
That means my fresh water and fuel "travel for free", I don't need to worry about it.

Lee

www.gohumberto.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi Lee, thanks so much, very interesting! The plot thickens... :)

What Lee says is undoubtedly true of some Motor homes, especially towards the larger end of the 3500kg range, the smaller ones are sometimes quite different. Some built on smaller wheelbases only have a 3300 or less rating and need to have the suspension etc made more robust to carry the extra weight. Some would not be cost effective to try to change, if even possible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back