How much is the cheapest way to Eire

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Nov 29, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

My wife has decided she wants to see Ireland and told be to get us over there. I looked at various site and they seem VERY expensive for a 7 metre+ van and I do not want to pay hundreds each way. There was an offer last year if you quoted code ICCC and it was for booking off busy season. Does anybody know of a similar offer coming next year?
    Also where do you NOT stop and park up to be safe, obviously not the downmarket areas into Dublin but is everywhere else OK?
    probably would wildcamp if there are not many site around and not stay in same place for more than a day.

2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

If you decide to go to NI then a wee stop at Jordanstown near Belfast is a good spot. only 6 spaces and security controlled barrier last time I was there but boy racers can be heard in the car park outside till around midnight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

If you've got any Tesco vouchers they helped bring the crossing price down considerably for us earlier this year.

Steve :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

We went about 4 years ago used Airmiles to pay for the crossing, if paying it was £220 return from Pembroke.

5. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Save up and go you will have a great trip our first trip this year can't wait to go back. Loads of places to stop to many to mention loads to see, use Brit Stops also you will not be disappointed, enjoy.

• Like Like x 2
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Likewise.. it's put us off ever visiting..

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A quick check on P&O suggests around £350 return for a 7.0m MH May/June next year on the Cairnryan to Larne route. This is without any extras. I have used this route several times (when it left from Stranraer) in the past. But we lived in Carlisle then so it was fairly easy to get to although the run across the bottom of Scotland is slow from what I remember. Perhaps the roads have been improved since then?

8. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Must admit it looks a lovely place to visit Eire , but like wise the price of the crossing puts us off when compared to going to Calais .

9. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Don't be daft. Probably worse. What with single lane traffic light contraflow roadworks and avoiding the jet powered Continental HGV drivers going to and from the ferry!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Someone did tell me about using freight ferries and a quick google around found this one for £120 one way, which does bring it down to £240 return instead of P&O's £350. There are restrictions on sailing times though.

Might be worth checking other freight ferries, though I'm guessing the passenger facilities might not be quite as luxurious as on a passenger ferry?

Steve :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

and not just Calais.. which is about the same distance as Cairnryan to Larne route..

with the recent RET fares introduced by Cal-Mac, you could buy Hopscotch ticket and see just about every Scottish island for less .. I know where my money will be going..

12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

There are restrictions on animals as well. No Pets allowed at all........

13. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We are like you Jim , closer to Dover then the west coast ports. Then add on the ferry costs it makes it a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Just driven up to near Stranraer this weekend, lots of new bits of road, bypasses and climbing lanes, much better than it used to be but still room for improvement, wouldn't put me off going anyway but the price would (y)

15. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I paid £99 each way with Irish ferries with 7 metre mh.
    Left end of June and came back beginning of Sept.
    They offered several routes for the same price at reasonable travel times.
    I did holyhead to Dublin.

• Like Like x 5
  16. scotjimland

was that a special deal or offer.. ?

just checked on Irish Ferry site , for next year, same period, 2 people 7mt van and it's aprox. £ 180- £200 each way , depending on times

17. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Crossed last week, cairnryan/Larne with DAF LF tilt and slide, 8.4 metres. Just turned up at the booth. Cost me £109 single. We do hold a freight account with them as we cross quite often... Used to be twice weekly when our place was bigger.... I think that price is before VAT, we claim/zero rate it.
    If you are not bothered and travel at "odd" times and not weekends you can get back and forth at reasonable costs.

Won't get in there now, it's full of Itinerants and they've thrashed the place.
    Carrifergus still available, but at £21 inc EHU, it's quite expensive. Bus runs every 20 mins to city centre. Come west, tons of free places.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Thanks for that. We are thinking of going next year and this makes it affordable! Depending on family commitments we might even go in Spring :)

19. TM59

TM59 Funster

Unfortunately there are no cheap fares with the various carriers Stenaline, P&O and Irish Ferries. It is an expensive stretch of water to cross, but well worth it. Look out for the various deals offered on occasions. Average cost £250/300 return.

20. scotjimland

the quotes I tried came in at £360 - £400 return .. 2 people 7mt van..