Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Short or long term lets are a dodgy business. Theres all of the furniture etc to be put into storage and whilst there maybe some sought of gaurantee from the agent god knows what your house is going to be like when you get back.

The guy next door to me did it. He pulled the plug on it after a couple of months, turfed out the tenants and had to have professional people in to clean and redecorate the property.

He let his house furnished. All of the furniture had to go to the tip.

It would be great if you could strike up a deal with somebody you knew and could trust but even that is fraught with danger as even the best of buddies arent always the buddy you thought they were.

Jim
:Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I did a calculation (on here somewhere )about 18 mths ago based on about 200k = more or less average house price then ish To cut a long story short money plus interest (5 %:ROFLMAO: ) lasted about 15 yrs before it had gone :Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
All very interesting stuff.
I think ideally I would do it now for 10 years whilst I am reasonably fit enought to enjoy it (I am 46yrs old) then get back into the rat race for the last 10years of working life then god willing retire and see what happens. I sort of gap year that lasts 10. It aint gonna happen though unfortunately due to family and business commitments etc etc etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have read this thread with great interest. I am in a situation where "long terming" is my dream and I am ready to do it now. Last summer Mrs D and I spent three months in Europe as an adventure and also to see how we would like being in the van for a long time and how much it would cost. It worked out around £1000 per month but we did do a lot of miles so could probably do it cheaper. We both loved it and got on better in the van that we do at home!

We had the time of our lives. I almost wish we hadn’t experienced it now as its all I think about now. We can afford it as well. No Mortgage, no kids, a nice house we could rent out plus investments that put together would give is an income of around £14K. Mrs D is more cautious than me and although she yearns to be away in the van she is reluctant to make the step and rent out her beloved home. It’s a massive problem that I can’t see a way around. Im about to take on a big contract which I have 90% secured which will see me working my A*se of for the next year (Im self employed). I should be excited but im dreading it despite it being very well paid. Mrs D says that we (I) should do the work and perhaps we will go off next year. I suspect however that when next year comes we will be back to square one.

Its in me now and I have to do it but there is no point unless you both want to do it. Problem is I know Mrs D does want to really she just afraid to let go. OMG this is turing into a marriage guidence thread rather than full timing!

Barry

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
I wish renting were the answer. We rented out a property to someone we knew, and were very lucky that he looked after the place for us even whilst overseas (work, not MHing!) but even then when he moved out there was a hell of a lot to do and so we cannot face renting out to someone we don't know and having to do all that work again every 6 months, it's fairly heartbreaking! as people do not always look after rented properties as their own.
Even people we know (family!) did not look after our own property well whilst we were overseas (but at least someone was at the address so no squatters or break-ins!).
But then again, my mum with two rented properties seems to have found very good tennants, but also she is not so emotionally attached to those properties even though they have been in the family. She did once mention us moving in to hers so she could go travelling (again, not MHing) and just have a place to come back to but unforunately that was not to be.

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
Great topic

Hi All,
I think this is one of the most interesting topics I’ve read on here with loads of interesting points of view and some very sensible comments.
It is a credit to the forum and its members

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We have just bought a house after ten years fulltiming with two kids. Originally we rented out our house for 2 years , sold it, bought another which was rented then 12 months later sold it at a huge profit.

I have tried working out how we faired financially through this in relation to house values, motorhome sales and depreciation, rental income etc. To cut a long story short, there is not much in it and we are in much the same position as we were 10 years ago.

What we have done in that time, as a family, has been a great experience for all of us and for us, much more fullfilling and educational than living the normal way.

We have now returned to our " home " town .................nothing has changed.

We stopped fulltiming to allow the eldest to attend 6 form college and the youngest maybe to go to school ( maybe not )

We have a pension income and have worked here and there mainly on campsites. Having been in the house 2 months I reckon the bills are going to be about the same as campsite fees whilst touring.

I would agree that £ 1000 a month for a couple is a good guess. More would be better !

Anyway after two months in a house we are taking off again in the RV tomorrow to work on a campsite for the season.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I'm really enjoying this thread. I've lived a more-or-less nomadic existence for the last twenty-odd years and the thought of retiring fills me with a) dread, that I might find myself lulled into a quiet life and b) excitement at the prospect of, once again, being the complete master of my own destiny after a few years of touching my cap to Mamon.

Just to go back to the original question about finances, there's a great book that some of you may have come across, called 'Voyaging on a Small Income' by Annie Hill. it's obviously written from the point of view of living on board a small boat but there's loads in there which has helped us with our life in The Rosabella. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but there may be the odd nugget which helps. [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1888671378/ref=sib_rdr_dp"]This[/ame] is a link to Amazon where you can have a squint inside and at the index.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi Monaco doesn't have "outskirts" ::bigsmile: its built right up to the French border. He will pay French taxes if he doesn't pay UK ones.

Olley

I will ask him next time he is around. I know he is retired, and pays no taxes over here (non resident due to 6 months out) - i really don't know about over there, never thought to ask him! I know he can see monte carlo and monaco from where he is, and presume it will be southern france. I beleive it to be a friends property than he just pays his electric on. Other than that I can't answer accurately!

I shall ply him for more info next time i see him - when discussing it with him i was too busy thinking what a great idea it was, and dreaming of a tax free life! lol!:Blush:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
don't run away from my dreams
Because of my fear of what "might" happen
I have faith that no matter what
Fate brings me, I shall overcome.
George
1 July 2003

Bouncer123

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
The New Forest
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
6 years
Interesting Post!

Hi Everyone! What an interesting and informative post. I remember meeting Stewart, (Artona) at a 'Fulltiiming' meeting somewhere near the A1 quite a while ago, with his wife and lovely red-headed daughter - and Marie and Rex - Penelope Pitstop. We had a Hymer S700 at the time, Laraine and Bernard. What a long time ago that seems. I have been keeping up with you all on this forum, enjoying vicariously your news and travels, web site and blogs! Thanks for those, they have kept the old flame burning through some difficult times for us. However, to get back on thread, I am pleased to say that we are finally going 'long-terming' (rather than 'full-timing') by April of next year - at the latest! It's taken us a while due to various illnesses, pension problems etc but we are now on-track, and so looking forward to it. We are going to trade up our Auto Sleeper Symphony and get another Hymer, probably a B694. We intend to dither around France for a while, then Italy, then Spain, in three - 6 month visits. We hope to be able to manage on around 800 - 900 GB pounds per month, staying on Aires and Sostas etc most of the time. I think from most of the posts on here that this is probably not quite enough - so, everyone - how can we make up the extra 100-200 extra pounds per month. Legal and clean suggestions only please, people!! :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
As I said earlier in my post we spent around £1000 per month last summer on a three month trip. However we ran around like idiots. We did 6000 miles in the van and 1500 on the bike and crammed far too much in. I reckon if we had done half of that the costs would have been quite a bit less. Beleive it or not we found France the cheapest place to stay as you can pretty much stay in Free Aires or wild camp all the time. I think if you just spent a month bumbling around Brittany say for example covering maybe just a couple of hundred miles and not eating out very much you could survive on £500. I smoke and I drink a lot so if you dont do much of either then you could exist very cheaply.

I think however 3 months is only long enough to get an idea. If you were full timing or part timing (whatever you want to call it) you would have to average the costs over a longer period. Winter for example you would probably need EHU but then you could strike a deal on a campsite for a months stay. Also things break. I have to get a new Axle for my van next month £2200. I reckon you would need to stick say £10K in an emergency fund account just in case.

Ive got a meeting tonight with someone who is possibly going to give me a large IT contract. I should be excited but Im not. Im actually hoping we dont get it! Would rather be out in the van!

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
income or savings used ?

A good post and some interesting reading,for my 'look on things' ,i think it's down to what lifestyle your use to and what you expect when full timing, living or holidaying.
A big part depends on where you deide to travel,for example,both of us are living full -time in a house with everything you expect from modern day living ,with two vehicles etc for less than £300 a MONTH ! If full timing in a camper could do it for less than £200.YES we are in Bulgaria....
Many of you say that you also ' book in to campsites ' which i would thought would take a large chunk of money ( 15 to 20 euro per night ) ? WHY ? for security?for power ? to be within 6 foot of someone else ? We when we jaunt around in our M/H from our base in Bulgaria tend to pitch WILD,thats in BG and Greece.
Also ,why go for the biggest,most expensive,newest motorhome ? and pay out £30,000 + when you can buy a 6 berth good camper for less half that,these days.....
Postal address can be relatives, IF you own a house,(two choices) sell and get a minimum of £120,000 or rent out £500 a month+,who cares if they trash it ?you still have it ,plus you've earned all that EXTRA cash,IF you come back to it,its decoration and furniture,after 5/10 years,you'd buy new anyhow !!?
Another solution,buy cheap land/property as a base (like us) and travel from there/here,i haven't given up my UK passport as i am still in Europe,i can fly back and forth for less than £100 return !!
I guess most of the cost is fuel/travelling to a new destination,but once there,you either stay/pitch for lengthy time or move on ,but a much smaller mileage.For instance it costs (one way) approx. £300 to travel to Bulgaria (cheap ferry) in fuel,but once here,if your on a budget could live on less than £70 a week for two,IF your not living like on holidays,eating in restaurants,clubbing,drinking in bars etc,shop in the supermarkets or buy fresh produce,bottle of wine for £1 or 2 ltr beer.We have noticed in the 3 years being here that prices have soared,as petrol was £3 and fags a £1,now fags are £2,petrol just under a fiver but LPG cheap and everywhere at the pumps,as Spain and the likes are overpricing theirselves and can get a little boring,we still have Turkey to discover when we've finished with Bulgaria,adjoining Greece,Macedonia,Albania,Romania etc,OK the winter weather you say,Mmmm maybe ferry to Tunnisia ? or Tip of Turkey towards Iran...or is it Irak,anyhow hot,or even Cypres which is not so far.
I would think,if you do some research and think outside the box,perhaps willing to give up extra comforts but live the dream,it can be done............CHEAPLY. how bad do you want it ? :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
A good post and some interesting reading,for my 'look on things' ,i think it's down to what lifestyle your use to and what you expect when full timing, living or holidaying.
A big part depends on where you deide to travel,for example,both of us are living full -time in a house with everything you expect from modern day living ,with two vehicles etc for less than £300 a MONTH ! If full timing in a camper could do it for less than £200.YES we are in Bulgaria....
Many of you say that you also ' book in to campsites ' which i would thought would take a large chunk of money ( 15 to 20 euro per night ) ? WHY ? for security?for power ? to be within 6 foot of someone else ? We when we jaunt around in our M/H from our base in Bulgaria tend to pitch WILD,thats in BG and Greece.
Also ,why go for the biggest,most expensive,newest motorhome ? and pay out £30,000 + when you can buy a 6 berth good camper for less half that,these days.....
Postal address can be relatives, IF you own a house,(two choices) sell and get a minimum of £120,000 or rent out £500 a month+,who cares if they trash it ?you still have it ,plus you've earned all that EXTRA cash,IF you come back to it,its decoration and furniture,after 5/10 years,you'd buy new anyhow !!?
Another solution,buy cheap land/property as a base (like us) and travel from there/here,i haven't given up my UK passport as i am still in Europe,i can fly back and forth for less than £100 return !!
I guess most of the cost is fuel/travelling to a new destination,but once there,you either stay/pitch for lengthy time or move on ,but a much smaller mileage.For instance it costs (one way) approx. £300 to travel to Bulgaria (cheap ferry) in fuel,but once here,if your on a budget could live on less than £70 a week for two,IF your not living like on holidays,eating in restaurants,clubbing,drinking in bars etc,shop in the supermarkets or buy fresh produce,bottle of wine for £1 or 2 ltr beer.We have noticed in the 3 years being here that prices have soared,as petrol was £3 and fags a £1,now fags are £2,petrol just under a fiver but LPG cheap and everywhere at the pumps,as Spain and the likes are overpricing theirselves and can get a little boring,we still have Turkey to discover when we've finished with Bulgaria,adjoining Greece,Macedonia,Albania,Romania etc,OK the winter weather you say,Mmmm maybe ferry to Tunnisia ? or Tip of Turkey towards Iran...or is it Irak,anyhow hot,or even Cypres which is not so far.
I would think,if you do some research and think outside the box,perhaps willing to give up extra comforts but live the dream,it can be done............CHEAPLY. how bad do you want it ? :thumb:

I like your style and outlook! Could you please talk to my wife!!!

I agree about the house. Its just a house to me, to Mrs D its more than that.

Sounds a great life!!!!

BD

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
just a couple of points

how do you get insurance on your vehicle ? have you read the small print on the policies?

and the idea of being out of the uk for 6 months a year absolving you of the need to pay uk income tax ? try that on your local inspector of taxes and watch him/her fall out of his chair laughing !

and medical cover ? no ehic if you are not uk resident?

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
income

Lebesset,I'm not sure if your refering to my post ,but i'll answer on my part....I'm a UK resident,well i didn't say i wasn't ?I have a UK passport,i travel alot and 'live' in my camper,i have a c/o address with family.
My medical card covers me,when i travel in Europe :)but you can also pay privately here,where i am (at the moment !) £2 to see the doctor,full check up in hospital £15.
My insurance covers my vehicle for anywhere in the EU,including the UK,i also have a magical green card (thats impossible to get in UK) that entitles me to drive in Serbia and Turkey and other such places,and the cost for insurance £150,i have an address in BG.
Do i have to pay taxes in UK ?i dont recieve anything from the UK ?
Banks here are paying between 10% and yes ....30% (Greek)? :whatthe: am i breaking any laws?
Do i live OUTSIDE THE BOX ,like i said research,i think i've paid my due to society and my bleeding taxes,about time i spent MY money on MY self.As a member of an EU state,i can travel freely but still belong to one,i am self retired,but dont recieve monies or pensions as yet,actually i couldn't claim nothing anyway ,as i have money from the sale of my house i worked many years to own,so have to spend all that,before or untill pensionable age.
So I can live on approx £50/70 a week easily here on MY savings and on what I want to spend it on,rather than in the UK or Spain etc with huge taxes,does that make sense ??
Nice weather here too for 8 months of the year . :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Barny I think lebesset is referring to rainbow chasers post on page one:

Just gives you an idea - he also pays no tax because he is out of the UK for 6 months of the year.

Page one, last post.

Olley

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hi Barny I think lebesset is referring to rainbow chasers post on page one:

Just gives you an idea - he also pays no tax because he is out of the UK for 6 months of the year.

Page one, last post.

Olley

Quite right - I am responsible for that one! I know he pays no tax over here as he says under 91 days, but cannot say if he does or not elsewhere. I don't want to give inaccurate info, so I will be asking him next time I see him, I pass his pitch fairly often, when he is there i will pop by and ask!

I know all his health insurance, and other odds and ends are all private, i remember him saying about that he wouldn't claim on a system he wasn't paying for.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
don't run away from my dreams
Because of my fear of what "might" happen
I have faith that no matter what
Fate brings me, I shall overcome.

Stew that's great - should be the full-timers anthem! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi Everyone! What an interesting and informative post. I remember meeting Stewart, (Artona) at a 'Fulltiiming' meeting somewhere near the A1 quite a while ago, with his wife and lovely red-headed daughter - and Marie and Rex - Penelope Pitstop. We had a Hymer S700 at the time, Laraine and Bernard.

Laraine and Bernard :Smile: What a blast from the past!! How lovely to hear from you! ::bigsmile: Glad you are going for it at last - it's a great life and very do-able - even without a fortune!!! We're in Southern Spain - Costa de la Luz ( as opposed to the Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca!) it's much cheaper here than the rest of Spain and VERY Spanish! We've been here since end November and we're staying until Mid April! Remember Ray and Joan (rayv8)? They're here with us ( and Flint the Weimaraner!). :thumb::thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Hello Laraine and Bernard, nice to hear from you again. Yes, we all got together at Top End farm, great place and must make a return trip.

Budgeting for fulltiming is a very personal thing but its easy to keep it simple eg

Monthly costs

Food..........£??
Petrol........ £??
Insurance...£??
Vehicle maintenance £??
Tax £??
Campsites £??
Misc??

Then have a set amount to repriatriate yourself in case of emergency £??

put your own figures in

Marie.the little anthem came from George and Tioga's site click here , there are not many days that pass that I do not check his blog out. Glad you are having a great time

stew

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My insurance covers my vehicle for anywhere in the EU,including the UK,i also have a magical green card (thats impossible to get in UK) that entitles me to drive in Serbia and Turkey and other such places,and the cost for insurance £150,i have an address in BG......
Barnybg

Is that medical insurance or vehicle insurance on your camper?

If vehicle insurance, can you be more specific as it's nowhere near the figure you told me in a pm recently. I think the cost of vehicle insurance on mh's/campers registered in BG may be of interest to others on this thread.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
Income what income ?

Sorry,for the mistake ,its 150 LEV for the insurance which is approx £70 and a further 220 LEV for road taxes,broken down further by one being VIGNETTE 67 lev and Municipality tax of 150 lev approx(per year) depending on engine size (mine being 2000cc)
I have to mention though,that those of you with high cost campers etc,would probably be charged an alarming cost of up to £1000 per year for fully comp,as mine is older and only worth around £10,000 ,i plumped for a lower price value for MY camper,but still fully comp.
Still going back to the original question and post,its variable compared to the country your in,the way you live and the type of people you are ? I can live frugally as long as i'm in the sun and on a beach ,parked up,others would not like or want this lifestyle,i've also decided to buy a property very cheaply in BG,giving me a base (cheaper than buying a new car) i am within 30 miles of Greece and Turkey and approx 2 hours drive from beaches of THREE SEAS.
We still spend less than £300 a month.............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back