How much does your motorhome cost to run per mile (1 Viewer)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have no idea how much per mile, week, month or year the motorhome costs. I have no idea how much a packet of cigarettes or a pint of beer costs in the UK either as I buy mine where they are cheaper. I drove down to Benidorm 3 weeks ago from Liverpool and dont have a clue how much it cost. One day the hole in the wall will not give me what I ask for and until then I will continue enjoying life to the full and be damned to the expense. When its gone, its gone.

Reading that reminded me of the best foot note on fun from ralph and Bev
Adventure before dementia

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We bought new so appreciated we would take a huge knock in depreciation.

But I was a bit shocked at the figures.

We worked for the first 18 months of ownership so we have only used it for around 250 nights and driven around 15k miles.

But a rough work out it appears somewhere around £120/night and £2.00 a mile.

I hope I can't count :(:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We bought new so appreciated we would take a huge knock in depreciation.

But I was a bit shocked at the figures.

We worked for the first 18 months of ownership so we have only used it for around 250 nights and driven around 15k miles.

But a rough work out it appears somewhere around £120/night and £2.00 a mile.

I hope I can't count :(:(

Yes but how big was the smile on your faces for 250 nights forget the cost now dream of the next 250 nights
I have no intention of even trying to work it for myself I want to keep me smile
And if I run out of cash we are of to free load of our kids ( clocking up more nights in van on their drive)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I wouldn't go there if I were you, for various reasons I did 27 kilometers in my van last year which I suppose makes the cost per mile silly if you factor in depreciation, so I was kind of determined to get out and about again and so far have managed to get about 8 weeks away in the MH and not finished yet!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Dunno - AMG 63 SL gives more than a smile or two....... ;)

I read in an old Autocar at the Quack's today that they have now stopped making those. Shame cos I wanted to buy one when I win the lottery! The price of S/H ones's has now gone up by about £15k from £80k to £95k!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Who cares? We get away! We try to go every month! (August is out!) new places? favourite places? Week end? during the week?

We are using the bloody thing (no! we don't have a NAME!!"!) It's not sitting there on the pad !

We don't do Cornwall, we live there, Devon Dorset mostly, so! a tank of diesel, there and back, £80 -£90 ? A site, bus at gate to go somewhere nice, Bar or restaurant near by, by the sea, or very close, that's all we need!
Easy innet!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A more depressing thought for those of us still in employment is how much did your motorhome cost per night it was used last year

David

We are still working ( me only 4 or 5 days a month ) but find we use ours more than a lot of retired folk we chat to on our travels.
We don't go to Benidorm for months on end in the winter , granted. But I don't think we'd do that , even if we were retired. We love being at home too.
At the moment we do at least 2 weekends away a month. The odd single night here and there , if night if we fancy visiting a country pub/ restaurant .
Then a few extra long weekends a year , and a couple of week or two holidays a year. We don't pack her up at the end of the season, like a lot do. We love winter breaks as much as summer ones.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Working out your motor homing cost is a bit like what people used to say about buying a Rolls Royce.
If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!
I am blissfully ignorant about how much it all costs to run. I fill the tank up when its ( nearly) empty using Mrs A's debit card. We stay on free aires in France and we save money on crossings when we buy 10 at a time.
I just remember the "save money" bit.......
Allan

OP
OP
PP Bear

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I NEVER park mine up. I'm out almost every single weekend and will be right be, right across Christmas and into the New Year and way beyond that too :)

I don't care what it costs, I'm happy to keep on paying and am enjoying the incredible life it brings me :)

Still like to know what it costs to just run it, that's all, the rest is simply the pennies I pay to keep me amused :)

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We are out for one night this saterday a as normal last minute dot com thing
Of for a daft night at some random site near selby that Elaine's lunatic tugger sister has booked
Checked over supply's
1 pair undys
1 tee shirt
1 pair socks
12 cans fosters
12 cans cider
1 bottle of Cubans finest
2 steaks
I pack weetabix
I have forget any thing

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
a glass for the rum

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The wee man is going with my son for the weekend to his house first time we rely will have had time together by our shelf for a very long time
Meal Friday night get pissed nanny grand dad time
Saturday more nanny granddad time
Sunday more nanny granddad time
don't know how much it will cost but well worth it
if the vans rocking don't come knocking ::bigsmile:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think there are 4 types of MH'er..........

1. Working for a living.......... therefore money to burn and little time to kill

2. Retired with unlimited funds (or worry).......... therefore plenty of time and 'sod the finance'

3. Retired and on a (tight?) budget.............. where all costs have to be considered but time is a plenty

4. ME ............ not quite retired........ not quite sufficiently funded (or carefree enough) to just 'keep at it and sod the expense'.

Having bought the van last year I can console myself with the cost of depreciation (it's already spent). Tax, insurance and maintenance are an annual cost similar to a car.

The TWO most significant costs for me are related to diesel and ferries etc (getting there) and stopover fees.

I can limit the diesel cost by either not going far (no fun) or driving more slowly (relaxing :))

I can limit the stopover costs by not staying on sites (preferable but not always convenient)

In reality I spend all the money I save going slowly driving much further :eek: and all the money I save on stopovers I spend on ferries :eek:

At least I can reclaim the feel good factor by going to France and filling up the van with cheap diesel (£1 per litre) and coming back with loads (LOADS) of wine :):D

BUT.............. it still costs money and that for me is a limited resource :(

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
The wee man is going with my son for the weekend to his house first time we rely will have had time together by our shelf for a very long time
Meal Friday night get pissed nanny grand dad time
Saturday more nanny granddad time
Sunday more nanny granddad time
don't know how much it will cost but well worth it
if the vans rocking don't come knocking ::bigsmile:

I hope your taking precautions Bill the wee man may not want a new uncle or Aunty :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back