hammerntongues

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Hi guys , I know this is a " how long is a piece of string " question but anyway here we go ........

Looking towards an early retirement and one of the options we are looking in to is to spend some time travelling Europe in a Motorhome . I know it is a dream of many but lots of you guys have actually taken the plunge and are living the dream , so , given that the vehicle is fully owned and insured and I suppose excluding fuel costs because that is totally dependent on mileage , what are the " very approx " daily/monthly living costs to travel for example through France , Spain , Portugal . Again I do realise that this largely depends on if you eat in /out etc but there must be a certain budget that is the minimum needed to enjoy a decent lifestyle on the road .

many thanks for any input

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having done it for three years I'd say a minimum of £12k per year. but that included insurance (full time) , VED, maintenance and repairs and a reasonable amount of fuel .. no point in doing it if you can't afford fuel, ferry fares and a bit of pocket money

sounds a lot, but when you break it down it's not..

site fees average £10 x 365 .. = £3,365
insurance + VED .................. = £800
DIY maintenance and repairs.. = £500
Food for two, min £50 per week = £2,600
Fuel for say 10,000 miles at 20 mpg= £3,250
Pocket money £20 per week .........= £1040
Ferry + Tolls .............................. = £250

That little lot tots up to £11,805

No allowance made for visitor attractions, eating out .. etc..

But to be frank, everyone does it different.
I know some who will spend double that .. others a lot less.. Some will do a lot of free camping , some may eat out , some not, some will travel 10,000 miles others 5,000.. some will ....well.. you get my drift.. it is a piece of string.

A better question..
how much have you got.. ? then tailor your travels to suit :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi guys , I know this is a " how long is a piece of string " question but anyway here we go ........
Looking towards an early retirement and one of the options we are looking in to is to spend some time travelling Europe in a Motorhome . I know it is a dream of many but lots of you guys have actually taken the plunge and are living the dream , so , given that the vehicle is fully owned and insured and I suppose excluding fuel costs because that is totally dependent on mileage , what are the " very approx " daily/monthly living costs to travel for example through France , Spain , Portugal . Again I do realise that this largely depends on if you eat in /out etc but there must be a certain budget that is the minimum needed to enjoy a decent lifestyle on the road .
many thanks for any input
Full marks for not burning your bridges, how much it will cost you is up to you, are you a 2* or a 5* family.
Fuel, insurance, food, washing, and possible maintenance of the van are the basic costs. Then it is up to you how far you drive and whether you wild camp stay on sites or maybe a mix of the two. I would guess it would be similar to the cost when you use the van for shorter holidays.:thumb: I would say think of a number and double it.:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi hammerntongues and welcome :thumb: it is a very open subject ::bigsmile:Campsites vary from £5 to £20 per day(can obviosly be more) but aboard it is my understanding they are places free (aries) to around £10 max after that it will cost you whatever you eat and drink with the odd £20 ish for gas every month or so ::bigsmile:As Brian says anything from £5 to £500::bigsmile:We have lots of full timers and some keep very acurate records of spenditure,I am sure they will be along shortly :winky:
terry
edit two as I type :winky:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I recommend you get a copy of this book ...
http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/?gclid=CPDd_aeHtooCFRsYEAodKlc6PA
... written by a couple who have done it. We bought the original version before buying our motorhome and it was a really useful introduction.

We have not 'full-timed' but Scotjimland has so take note of his experience.

You can reduce costs significantly by making extensive use of camperstops (called Aires in France, Sostas in Italy, Stellplatz in Germany and Bobils in Norway).
In France most are free, many are free in Italy but most in Germany require payment (typically €8 - €15 per night). One big advantage of them is that they are usually in or near towns, rather than way out in the sticks as most CS/CL sites are in the UK. This is great for visiting places and getting supplies. As an example, we recently spent €15 on pitch fees during 3 weeks in France in September. That was because we happened to use three aires where there was a €5 per night charge. By comparison, last week we spent over £50 for CS pitches on 5 nights.

p.s. If you are going to use the motorhome full-time, make sure it is properly winterised (explained in the book above and also in many posts on this forum - search for it). To my mind (and some will disagree) that means buying a German, French or American motorhome - I would avoid British vans unless you are prepared to do quite a bit of DIY modification to bring them up to standard for winter use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hammerntongues

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Having done it for three years I'd say a minimum of £12k per year. but that included insurance (full time) , VED, maintenance and repairs and a reasonable amount of fuel .. no point in doing it if you can't afford fuel, ferry fares and a bit of pocket money

I know some who will spend double that .. others a lot less.. Some will do a lot of free camping , some may eat out , some not, some will travel 10,000 miles others 5,000.. some will ....well.. you get my drift.. it is a piece of string.

A better question..

Many thanks , I knew when I asked the question I was open to some :Doh: replies but this kind of answers my question . The sum of approx £1K per month appears to be a " minimum requirement " clearly the difference between 2** and 5***** is up to the individual .

may be see you in a couple of years !!!!

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
how much does it cost

If in france using free aires and moving every couple of days about 30 kms would use approx {100km x 12 weeks=1200kms :25 =48ltrs fuel=£1.50=72euro.The choice of eating is an individual thing so it's simple to go for minimum spend and add on treats.Food is about the same as England if bulk is purchased in Lidle and bread purchased in local shops.Breakfast cornflakes, toast,fruit,milk,coffee for 2 =3Euro,lunch soup rolls cheese coffee for 2 = 2Euro.Dinner full roast chicken with bread and bottle wine for 2 =12Euro.Supper cheese biscuits bottle wine for 2 = 5Euro. Total eating in 22 Euro per day x 7 days 152 x12 weeks 1824 Euro.So 72 Euro +1824 =1894 or 157 Euro per week 120 Euro to the pound =£130 per week.We have a stand by fund for repairs etc but the amount is up to you.If you decide yo use pay Aires add 14-70 Euro per week.At the end of the day it's different for every one but use the formula to give yourself a Guestimate.The last tip is France is a massive country so spit it into regions and you will have new views every 2-3 days without the need to travel hundreds of miles. Good luck and enjoy as we have for 8 years.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017

A better question..

As you say Jim, it depends on the person, but based on my own experience - and we are NOT extravagant - €20000 is needed.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have "full timed" as many call it for a long time now.

I live a fairly full life but would be pushed hard to spend what it cost Jim when he did it...

Taking away diesel I have been living since last April on around €50 a week...

Just got my insurance renewal... €280... but no road tax in Portugal.

Of course I do tend to get free FB Pies as visiting Funsters keep giving me them. :thumb:

My big expense is my mobile internet connection at nearly €40 a month but then I always need my dose of Fun...

Mind you... I really believe in living a plain and simple life... the only "designer" wear in my wardrobe is Sky Blue and has Man City logos on it... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have "full timed" as many call it for a long time now.

I live a fairly full life but would [HI]be pushed hard to spend what it cost Jim when he did it.[/HI]..

Taking away diesel I have been living since last April on around €50 a week...

Just got my insurance renewal... €280... but no road tax in Portugal.

Of course I do tend to get free FB Pies as visiting Funsters keep giving me them. :thumb:

My big expense is my mobile internet connection at nearly €40 a month but then I always need my dose of Fun...

Mind you... I really believe in living a plain and simple life... the only "designer" wear in my wardrobe is Sky Blue and has Man City logos on it... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

If you did JJ, I'd be shocked ..

Living in your van on a piece of land with no rent/site fees etc is the way to go .. as you put it, the simple life ... but it's not traveling / living full time in a motorhome in the conventional sense. It's more akin to 'the good life'..

Mind you.. things may change if you ever have a frog to look after .. I've heard they have expensive tastes.. no more FB pies and beans mate.. .. :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Many thanks , I knew when I asked the question I was open to some :Doh: replies but this kind of answers my question .!

Well, as usual, the good folk of FUN delivered some good data. But whether it has any bearing is your lifestyle is the problem.

Scotjimland does not mention, what we all know, that his costings are a bit out of date now and some prices in mainland EU have risen a lot and the pound is not what it once was.

Eating out is a killer. Summer campsites too, like €50+ a night in the popular ones.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
re housekeeping money in the old-fashioned sense of the word, if you allow the same as you spend here you won't go far wrong as a minimum.

Of course, you may not be able to buy eg 2 giant packs of loo rolls when they are on offer because of lack of storage space but you will still need loo rolls so they would cost you more. Likewise eg we use at least one 300g jar of Nescafe a week so we just bought 6 @ £5 when we saw em on offer, although we didn't actually need to replenish right then. Also I already have a washing machine an iron etc and a means of getting it dry!!! at home, but not in the MH so as it stands at the mo, we'd have to go on a campsite occasionally to do the laundry if it's longer than a few weeks - some things you can't realistically do by hand and anyway, not all your favourite things are non-iron. Not EVERY campsite with a washing machine has an iron. That's OK we'll take the iron you say; we'll be on hook-up on the site (and some aires) - or you've invested in an inverter so fine - but where are you actually doing this theoretical ironing? - is your van layout suitable?

Haircuts. Dental treatment. Doctors visits (when it ain't an emergency I mean so EHIC or insurance won't apply) Prescriptions. Also if you happen to have a pet, vet's fees etc.

You have to allow enough to cover em don't you?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Far too extravagant Jenny ::bigsmile: we changed from Nescafe to ASDA or Morry's own meadium rost coffee @ under £2 a jar :thumb:Try it :winky:
terry

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Not done the sums but we have been on the road since May last year and all I know is its a lot cheaper AND better than stuck in the cold wet Pennines.

I can tell you we have more in the bank now than when we set off and apart from brilliant free or very cheap French aires we only use sites.

and no regrets at all.

Do it as it is far better than growing old wishing that you had

Alan and Lynda and pooch Lilly

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well ....hammerntongues....Wow...what a result..You have had 5 good replies to your question... that I personally would respect ... 4 of them have already done what you are asking... full timed ....and the last funster Jeanluc..in my opinion gives out good sound advice

Otis the staffy:thumb:
Scotjimland :thumb:
billkce :thumb:.....bill is the most up to date :thumb:
JJ :thumb:..
JeanLuc:thumb:

JJ...he will have the knowledge on how to get the most out of ...."1 euro" ...he is a expert on wild camping..and when he is not wild camping he resides on his own land in Portugal ..so you may have to add some night fees to JJ figure ... and a few FB pies, sausages, bacon, John Smiths bitter...on top :winky::winky:

Also what Brian has said is true ..prices have risen..since scotjimland full timed but the basics are there..and also what Jenny has said about the every day things in life...dental, doctors, medicine.

So it's up to you now how far and where you go and how much you do and do not spend...
Just a few words from me..All the best, enjoy your early retirement,Good luck:thumb: Safe Journeys, you never know we may even meet each other on route :thumb:

Mel

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
re housekeeping money in the old-fashioned sense of the word, if you allow the same as you spend here you won't go far wrong as a minimum.

Of course, you may not be able to buy eg 2 giant packs of loo rolls when they are on offer because of lack of storage space but you will still need loo rolls so they would cost you more. Likewise eg we use at least one 300g jar of Nescafe a week so we just bought 6 @ £5 when we saw em on offer, although we didn't actually need to replenish right then. Also I already have a washing machine an iron etc and a means of getting it dry!!! at home, but not in the MH so as it stands at the mo, we'd have to go on a campsite occasionally to do the laundry if it's longer than a few weeks - some things you can't realistically do by hand and anyway, not all your favourite things are non-iron. Not EVERY campsite with a washing machine has an iron. That's OK we'll take the iron you say; we'll be on hook-up on the site (and some aires) - or you've invested in an inverter so fine - but where are you actually doing this theoretical ironing? - is your van layout suitable?

Haircuts. Dental treatment. Doctors visits (when it ain't an emergency I mean so EHIC or insurance won't apply) Prescriptions. Also if you happen to have a pet, vet's fees etc.

You have to allow enough to cover em don't you?

Absolutely correct.. living in a van you still have similar everyday living costs.. they largely remain the same.. so for the purposes of comparing, should be put aside..

What has to be calculated is the difference between.. living in a house and living on the road..

In place of rent/mortgage + council tax + utilities bills you have .. (which is different depending on circumstances) ..

* Site fees
* Van maintenance and repairs + tax, insurance, MOT + depreciation.
* LPG
* Ferry and Toll costs
* Fuel
* Travel / medical insurance
* Breakdown cover

Also, no van lasts forever, (except JJs .. :roflmto: ) so if it's an indefinite period then sooner or later it will need replaced... however, not many fulltime that long.. most only do a few years .. the longest (apart from JJ) I've heard of is about ten years .

Also, as mentioned many times on here, an exit strategy is strongly advised..

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
hammerntongues....

It's like Dragons Den.....you have 5 good Dragons on board:thumb:
...you just want there cash:Doh::cry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for just over 3.5 years now.

My costs vary depending on what I am doing.
UK:
Off campsites I spend about £60-70 a week.
Using campsites (CL's) I need £150 a week. (£12 a night max for CL)

I have done 9 weeks so far on CL's this year. It will be 11 weeks by the end of the year.

France:
£70 a week full stop as I don't use campsites I just stop on Aires.
I spend less in France on food than in the UK for some reason. However I spend more on diesel as I move more often.
Every 2-3 weeks I will treat myself to a blow out night, go out for a decent meal and plenty of beer or other night out.

I could live cheaper than this if I pushed myself but I do want to maintain a certain level of pleasure:thumb:
My total expenses for the last financial year excluding insurance was just over £8,000 but £1,000 of that was getting the van through it's MOT.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You have another good Dragon come on board..."Gromett":thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun