Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Strangely, we have discovered, originally through necessity that using for no 2s and not rinsing when emptying, reduces the smell and breaks things down better. I assume it must set up a sort of septic tank effect.

Don't you love a good toilet thread.
The non-rinsing after emptying is probably a good idea as it means that there are already microbes etc in the cassette to get to work 'munching' on the new contents, rather than start from scratch - it's similar to how a pond filter works, when cleaning out you never every use fresh water, only pond water, so that the existing bacteria remain and can continue doing their good work. It probably also means that a cassette that has been used for pooing in will be more efficient at breaking down the waste and reducing the smells as there's more for the microbes to get their 'teeth' into!

So, one capful of biological liquid, empty frequently, don't rinse ... and use for poos!

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Here we go - I find there is little wiff whilst it is setlled, almost like the bio has created a sort of skim on the water surface which holds the smell in. After a day any break of the skim releases the wiff!

I also find changing the slider seal on the cassette regularly helps when removing the cassette.

Yes you are right - I need to get out more!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bio or Non bio that is the question?Colyboy

Must be Bio, the non bio won't work. Unfortunately most wash liquids are non bio so you have to read the labels, especially in foreign parts. Check the ingredient list, it should mention enzymes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
I use the bio tablets because they are easier to carry and just drop 2 into the cassette.

When I use the normal blue stuff I put it in with some water to mix it - if I start using the tablets do you add any water to the cassette before dropping in the tablets or just put them into the empty tank?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've never understood adding lots of water to the cassette as soon as you've emptied it, surely you're just reducing the 'waste' capacity? Is there a reason for this? This is a genuine question!

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Really you need the water to cover the facial deposits, to reduce smells, you obviously add water via urine and flushing.

With only no1's I think it is still better to add water to dilute the urine otherwise you can get calcium deposits inside the cassette.

You do realise this is directly quoted from my PHD disitation on Dometic toilets and their use in the field ( or campsite)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I only put a small amount of water into an empty cassette to dilute the bio liquid, otherwise you're right @Minxy Girl you'll need to empty it more often.

And reading the thread did make me wonder - those of you who say no No2's, where do you go? Do you stay on campsites all the time? Just a thought.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Really you need the water to cover the facial deposits, to reduce smells, you obviously add water via urine and flushing.

With only no1's I think it is still better to add water to dilute the urine otherwise you can get calcium deposits inside the cassette.

You do realise this is directly quoted from my PHD disitation on Dometic toilets and their use in the field ( or campsite)

I don't put my face in the cassette :D. The water round here is so hard you get less calcium deposits by not putting water in so I don't put any in, with my weak bladder it will be diluted soon enough.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Campsites mostly, but if we stay on 5 van sites or CC's then toilet is fully utilised. We do not do much wild camping!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I only put a small amount of water into an empty cassette to dilute the bio liquid, otherwise you're right @Minxy Girl you'll need to empty it more often.

And reading the thread did make me wonder - those of you who say no No2's, where do you go? Do you stay on campsites all the time? Just a thought.
... carrier bags I assume ... but now that you have to pay for them that may change for the cheapskates ... don't think paper bags will work!

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I alway put water in after emptying, I always need to go. It must be a man thing :eek:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I've never understood adding lots of water to the cassette as soon as you've emptied it, surely you're just reducing the 'waste' capacity? Is there a reason for this? This is a genuine question!
2-3 litres and cos I only use proprietary products it says so on the tin(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
2-3 litres and cos I only use proprietary products it says so on the tin(y)
Swap to bio. I give it a quick flush to start it diluting, otherwise nothing other than the expected bodily fluids. :)

Too late now I expect to suggest those of a sensitive nature should not read this post?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I always use a cap full.

image.jpeg

But I suppose with a bigger tank a bigger cap full would be needed?

image.jpeg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Swap to bio. I give it a quick flush to start it diluting, otherwise nothing other than the expected bodily fluids. :)

Too late now I expect to suggest those of a sensitive nature should not read this post?
Certainly tempted after I have run out of the gallon or so I have. I bought a bargain bucket load in a closing down sale once. :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Everyone adds a capful, I'm assuming the cap off the cassette opposed to the cap off the bio?.

Mickey.
No off the bottle ... if you use the one off the cassette you'll have way too much and could end up producing bubbles!!!! :D2

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use the Lidl / Aldi 'jelly' casules of Bio washing liquid. I have never rinsed out the cassette (because I know what's going in next and rinsing won't help:)) and I never add water before use. I like to maximise available space. I have fitted a SOG to each motorhome I've owned. No smell in the bathroom or van & cassette stays clean. It gets an end-of-season rinse and exterior cleaning when in use. We use it for both poos and pees.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back