How Much Are Tolls In Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Tomorrow when my ferry docks I am driving from Cadiz to just near Lagos in Portugal.

Google maps shows the journey under 3 hours.
But if choose the "no tolls" option it increases to over 5 hours. Oops.

If they are cheap then might do it. If they are like France then it's the cheapo route for us LOL

Deleted User
Class 2 €17.75 Spanish border to Lagos. Well worth it the N125 is a right pain in the arse, stop start, traffic lights, roundabouts, potholes but you will see the countryside and every small village en route. The choice is yours! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It has bits missing all over for me as well. It is all electronic system though.there is no facility to pay at the tolls in cash.
that's all I know.

Deleted User
The wifi on here is crap and that page only partly loads. It seems to infer that You can't just pay T the time. It is all electronic.

Or am I reading it wrong.

and I didn't even try to use the calculator LIL
The system is very simple if entering Portugal via the A49 from Seville which I presume you will be. After crossing the bridge over the Guadiana there are large signs diverting foreign vehicles into a lay bye where there is an electronic number plate recognition point(not compulsory), simply stop at the line, put a credit card into the slot and a receipt is issued. Any tolls due will be taken from the card at a later date, keep the receipt as you may need it to show the police in the unlikely event that you are stopped. It takes seconds and is really simple but this does not mean that you are covered for all toll motorways in Portugal, the old ones that have always been toll roads still have toll booths. The map on the link shows which are which.There is no system for post payment on the electronic toll motorways.

If you want to avoid the A22 tolls then exit at the second one over the bridge (17) and join the N125 for a relaxing(not) bumpy drive.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When driving into Portugal I was directed down a lane where there was a booth which read my number plate then my credit card. Each section of the toll roads had signs which showed what the cost for the next section was. I can't remember what the total was but to drive from one end of the Algarve to the other was well over 20 or 30 euros.

I can only guess there will be signs as you drive off the ferry, look for anything mentioning "tourists".

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes I was concerned would we know where / when to register our card, but it was so easy with the large sign tourists / visitors (something like that) to go to the right , insert your card which it promptly said remove ..thought Gawd it won't accept this card but all was well detailes was correct and on our way literally 1 minute if that to Alburfeira I reckon it cost us € 8.50 .. ..hope this helps

RocksAndBikes

Free Member
Jan 12, 2015
Redruth
Funster No
MH
Looking to buy soon
Exp
They have started to get on top of things now, for 3 years I rode all over Portugal with UK plates on my bike and never paid anything as they didn't know how to cope with it. There is also a small plastic box, used to be available at IKEA of all places (Porto) that would keep tabs of where you went, though it sounds like their number plate system has replaced this as it was voluntary and nobody ever got one.

Just $0.02. T.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
image.jpg

The notice for tourist visiting Portugal to register their card

image.jpg

Notice of the upcoming electronic tolls and cost for each class

Hope this helps

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have been to Portugal the last two years, on both occasions using my credit card at the border which lasts for thirty days and is supposed to automatically charge your credit card every time you pass a toll point. To date nothing has been charged to my card. Hopeless system, just make sure you keep your receipt!

Deleted User
I have been to Portugal the last two years, on both occasions using my credit card at the border which lasts for thirty days and is supposed to automatically charge your credit card every time you pass a toll point. To date nothing has been charged to my card. Hopeless system, just make sure you keep your receipt!

Snap!! same experience but the receipt covers you if you are stopped, I know cos I was stopped last year. Don't make a big noise about it though ;)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Snap!! same experience but the receipt covers you if you are stopped, I know cos I was stopped last year. Don't make a big noise about it though ;)
Mums the word!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hopeless system?? Sound just right to me, Register and no need to pay, I wonder if I can get away with the same on Amazon.

Reactions: SMB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back