Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I went to measure up cupboards and run through where various bits were with the current owner of the Hymer I'm buying, as he won't be about when I collect it next week from his wife. Everything was going fine until I realised that what I had assumed was an oven was actually another cupboard and the only cooking facilities consist of a two burner hob. Is this common?

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I've got an oven in Shirley but I've only ever used it to store saucepans in, so it might as well be a cupboard. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Yes a lot of continental vans do not have ovens, could not survive without myself. But plenty of types sizes of ovens available to retrofit:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We've got an oven but to be honest we took the shelf out and store halogen oven in there (we only use sites with hook up)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
very common on german vans . and never a grill. thats why so many cook outside. get a small flavel vanesa oven .its also a shame they dont have grills . i used to pressure cook chicken etc .then cut it up and brown it under the grill. .but a pressure cooker is ideal if only two rings . plus less steam in the van . idealy open it outside.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I went to measure up cupboards and run through where various bits were with the current owner of the Hymer I'm buying, as he won't be about when I collect it next week from his wife. Everything was going fine until I realised that what I had assumed was an oven was actually another cupboard and the only cooking facilities consist of a two burner hob. Is this common?

I am afraid so - if you mh was imported into the UK rather than made for the UK market this will nearly always be the case.
As said though ovens can be fitted retrospecively but at what cost. If it is important to you or more importantly to your wife don't buy it, it will bug you for ever.
We have an oven - itts the best way to heat JJ's FB pies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Norman

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
One of the plus points when I saw my m/home was the 4 ring hob, grill and oven. There's only me but I think long term meals would become limited and boring with just a hob.
I also have a built in microwave-not sure how often I'll use that but might be useful on EHU.
Halogen cookers look good and might be an alternative for you.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I t came as a bit of a shock.

If I'd realised there was no oven I wouldn't have bought it, as my wife cooks a lot of stuff in the oven and so do I. In Summer it's not a problem, but we bought a German van for the insulation, so we could use it all year round, when an oven would be useful for casseroles etc., especially as I'm not planning on using too many sites.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have a Hymer 584 and don't have an oven, i have been looking to have one fitted, we also have only 3 gas rings

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we have a full sized 4 ring, with oven and grill, could manage without an oven but never a grill, how would we do cheese on toast, hee hee At a push you could heat pies under a grill as well. Still we have an oven in a British built van.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
It's getting to me now.

I've committed to buying this and paid a deposit, so I'm not prepared to back out now as it's a private seller who has been good enough to hold it for me until I retire next week. I'm then away travelling about 1,000 miles round Cornwall and Dorset, so if it's still bugging me it may get part exchanged or sold.

I'm not a lover of salad or fried food and a lot of what we eat is cooked in a Le Creuset cast iron casserole which we use all the time. My wife also cooks fish pie to die for, so we'll be in the best place for fish without an oven:cry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have an oven, with grill and three burners on the top in ours.
We use the oven a lot, can just manage to get one of these "curry for two" chilled meals in it at a push.
Tikka masala, chicken korma, rice for two, bhajis and two large naan breads......takes 25 minutes to do the lot, but worth it:thumb:

I put the plates on the bottom of the grill and it heats them well with the heat that comes up from the oven:thumb:
Margaret

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We haven't got an oven in the van - but my wife reckons she can cook almost anything in the Remoska, that she could in an oven. Slow cooking is the only serious challenge. Although the Remoska has very low power consumption at 470 watts, realistically it requires an EHU.

She bakes and cooks with it loads at home too, because it's so good.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We saw a German mh parked outside our local co-op this afternoon. Hubby was at the wheel and a few minutes later his OH showed up carrying a 4 pint/2 litre container of milk, so it looks as if she wasn't planning on doing much cooking or they don't have an oven either:roflmto::roflmto:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Ours is English, we have a oven, if you get stuck park next to an english owner and ask them to heat your food in their oven:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Only jokin, I suppose there must be a spot where you could retro fit one:thumb::thumb:

J H

Funster
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
We have an oven but have never used it. We tend to use the 'double skillet' on the hob - can use it for everything from roast dinner including the veg to warming up pies - it's great for baked potatoes - apparently you can even make cakes in it but as we don't eat much cake, we've never tried. ::bigsmile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I didnt want a oven in our first camper van (we had it converted) "No Way" an oven I stated, but our second van has one, and cant image being without it, as it cooks all sorts , only simple things are done but very handy...so it is a Must for me:thumb::thumb::thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We have a Dethleffs Globetrotter, same as Hymer. When we first got her we bought a Vanessa oven off Ebay for £29 to use inside or outside, freestanding, with the aid of a barbecue extension. We've yet to use it and I have NO complaints about our diet, and that's after over a year fulltime... :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours has a three-ring hob, no oven - never missed it. If you really need one, a Remoska cooker from Lakeland is good, provided you are on hookup or prepared to run a generator for a while. We have a Remoska but have used it only once in four years.
You mentioned Le Creuset ovenware: perhaps not ideal for a motorhome in view of the excessive weight. Good quality anodised aluminium is a better bet.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Knaus...German...with oven...all good...:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As has been established a lot of European vans don't have ovens. When we were looking on the top of my list was a oven.

Bought a Hymer 584 no oven, to my amazement because I do enjoy cooking in the van and spend a good 5 months of the year in it, I have never missed having a oven, bought a double skillet with a defusser, never looked back there is nothing that I have wanted to cook up to now that I have not managed to cook my skillet, from a Lamb joint and all the veg, fish of any kind, wrapped in tin foil with the defuser in the skillet perfect, does toasted bread, you can bake a cake if you want.

With a motorhome you have to be prepared to experiment, you may not have bought the perfect van for you the 1st time people often don't, but don't be put off the one you have bought just because of a oven, give a double skillet a try.

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for all the replies.

The next four weeks are going to be an experiment for us in many ways. For the first time in 24 years I won't be driving 32 miles to work, we won't have our own space which is important to both of us as we have different interests and this first trip out will tell us immediately whether this size of vehicle is going to work for us.

On reflection I probably should have waited and looked around more, or persevered with the weird driving position of an 'A' Class, but for the moment we are stuck with what we have and there is definitely no room to fit a cooker without pulling out cupboards.

Another consideration is that I do intend to work freelance when I get back but hopefully in short blocks so that we can still get away, so I may be at home for most of the Summer, which will give me time to decide what to do.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Can someone explain what an oven is ?

We barely use the one at home unless we are baking so no chance of seeing one in the motorhome.

BBQ 365 here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back