How Many Of You Have Exterior Door Locks Fitted?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Gin Palace, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Gin Palace

Gin Palace Read Only Funster

Buying our first motorhome and wondered if extra locks to the doors were necessary and could anyone recommend a good lock?

2. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

Got external locks fitted to the caravan door and wire strop around the drivers passenger doorand locks over the steering wheel.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I fitted a Milenco Frame Lock (external) to the habitation door and internal Frame Guards to the can doors. See Here and Here.
    I wouldn't tie the cab doors together because of potential difficulty exiting in an emergency.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Plastic window.....size 10 boot.

No contest Graham.

If you need to get out that quick i wouldnt be concerned about a bit of damage.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

True John but why put an extra obstacle in the way? Besides I only take size 8 :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Read Only Funster

We consider these after a break in, but as the repairers said they have seen these ripped out as well causing more damage

• Like Like x 2
  7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The fabric of the average motorhome is very fragile.
    Those heavy duty locks will just cause more damage to your pride and joy when forced.
    Pointless in my opinion.

I would rather I had a few low cost items nicked than having my van off the road for months whilst we wait for an insurance company to sort out a big claim and await a new bodyside from the manufacturer.

Besides, a screwdriver behind a plastic window presents an easier way in for a thief deterred by extra locks.
    Motorhomes will never be secure due to their lightweight flimsy components. If you can't afford to loose it, don't leave it in your van!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We have extra locks on drivers & hab door, were already fitted. Think they work as a viz deterrent too!

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Granted that the build of motorhomes doesn't make them safe but much of the point of security (in houses as well) is in saying "I'm not quite as easy to get into as next door so go there".

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

My van is 24 years old, no central locking, no alarm, no special locks........... no signs of any doors ever being tampered with

My son has just bought a van for work.....came fitted with extra 'proper' heavy duty security locks... 2 of the doors look like they have been 'crowbarred' at some time.........

Do whatever makes you feel happy........... but if someone really wants to break in they will

11. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

We have installed the Fiamma safe door lock to the side door. We have many of these used.
    http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-S...ravans-and-motorhomes/?sortmethod=name&page=1
    The locks on the old motorhomes are sometimes just cheap plastic ones, this is what was on ours. The problem with the newer locks is not the mechanism but the barrel where the keys go in, they are often wafer cylinders which can be picked easily or forced with a screw driver. I am no expert but have operated a locksmith business for over 25 years.
    On the inside of the front doors we have chains that can wrap around the door handles and clip into the seat mounts. We have them but have only used them a few times.
    A safe securely fixed in the motorhome is also a good idea.
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  12. SMB

SMB Funster

I don't have the external door locks fitted, I was considering it but a friend of mine who has them fitted says he wishes he didn't as when they are locked it indicates that the occupants are out of the vehicle. I'm still considering having them fitted to the storage lockers as a small person could theoretically climb through into the living area (rear lounge in mine). But, as previously pointed out, more damage could be caused if they want to force entry regardless of any security.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Terry

Terry Funster

Locks only keep honest people out ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I don't have additional external locks fitted, though I do have a safe bolted inside. Every locker on my van with the exception of the two Thetford cassette lockers (Spare and Loo) is alarmed. Not just any alarm either, van-bitz Growler. If any locker is opened the alarm sounds, and has been pointed out by Graham, security is more about a visual (or Audible) deterrent.

Perhaps I should put a sign on the side......."My van is tougher to get into than others please feel free to try theirs instead."

• Like Like x 2
  15. parknride

parknride Funster

We chain the front cab doors and steering wheel, chain is slotted through a rubber sleeve to prevent scratching the door handles. Sits in door pocket so quick to secure. Its fastened with a strong number code padlock so easy to release too. Its more a vis deterrent and for my peace of mind. They can and will get in if they want.

16. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

D handLe and an alarm that isolates outside only if we are sleeping inside

17. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Like many, we have an external additional door lock and we also have an alarm wire between the cab doors.
    But when it comes down to it if some scrote wants to break in he will.
    The above precautions plus the door and internal movement sensor alarms are only a deterrent and are there to make it appear more difficult to break into our van and may be they'll move on to another one less protected.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

I think a visual deterrent is all you can do really.
    I read someone say on here a long time ago that your average Moho is like a plastic shopping bag, you can tie the handles together but they'll just tear a hole somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  19. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Prevention always first priority

20. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments,
    I use external door locks on both Hab doors and both garage doors,
    http://www.imc-creations.fr/Verrou-Cellule
    we feel more secure with them, and too my mind that what counts!

• Like Like x 2