How many of us are overloaded and by how much?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by grumps147, Aug 20, 2012.

1. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

There have been a number of threads recently on weight and being stopped by the police.
    I had been intending for some time to get a weighing done, but never got round to it.
    So, before Malvern we were going to a site near Telford so we could get Dave Newall to fit our alarm (another story those of you near us at Malvern will know all about, sorry again for the noise - it still awaits a fix).
    Anyway, having the two grandchildren with us I decided before we left home we would get it weighed. Enough water in the fresh tank to operate the toilet on the way own to Telford, a full tank of diesel and council weighbridges here we come.
    Extras include additional leisure battery, 2 calor cylinders and a solar panel. Heaviest things other than that are an outside table and four chairs, food in the fridge and a small red gas barbecue.
    Two adults and two children.
    No awning, bikes, off-licence or anything that I would not have regarded as essential.
    Our gvw is 4005Kg.
    At the weighbridge our individual axles were under weight, not by a lot, but gross was 4014Kg.
    It surprised me how little it took to take us overweight.
    It also had me thinking how many actually take the trouble to have a weighing?
    If, as has been intimated, the ministry and police are paying more attention to our community, then it could be expensive and a prohibition highly disruptive.
    We got rid of some water and tinned food to take us under before setting off.

2. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

I've just had a tow bar fitted with bike rack for a 125cc scooter. Took the van to the weigh bridge on the way to Stratford. So, fully loaded with water, fuel, scooter and wife, given a gvw of 3500 it came out at 3420 kg. so not a lot to spare there! Amazingly it averaged 35mpg for the 400 mile trip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Phill D

Phill D

Been wanting to weigh our Coral Slt since getting it. Managed to get to a local wood yard weigh bridge late last week.

Loaded everything up ( even the stuff we dont always carry ), FULL WATER TANK 110 LTRS, 1/2 fuel, 2 adults, 1 large 13kg and a 6kg gas bottles, bike etc.:thumb:

Was dissapointed to note that the gross weight was 3560 kgs. Both axles were within max allowed but chassis is down plated by Adria to 3500 kgs.:Angry:Sad:

So have now embarked on a weight saving drive.:Eeek:

The dumpimg of water to minimum really only compensates for additional fuel to a full tank. So need to be a bit more critcal of what we are carring and why.

Having taken litterraly everything out of the van and weighing it as best i can .... it appears i may not have the payload claimed in the manufacturers blurb.:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Not many will admit it on an open forum but its a sad fact since motorhomers have demanded bigger and better things, like full size fridge freezers, bigger battery banks, bike and scooter racks, towbars, solar panel's, microwave ovens, etc, etc, etc. More storage space that because its there they have to find something to put in it. The chassis manufacturers are limited to what they can do with a chassis but the coachbuilder is only limited to what the customer wants and is willing to pay. We have heard threads of motorhomes with no spare wheel and no jack. The reason behind this is they are trying to save weight. Its at times like this I miss my old Tiffin with a massive 3 plus ton payload.
    You only have to look at some motorhomes from a distance to see they are overloaded.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

That is what surprised me, we were not down on the axles visibly, in fact it's hard to really notice a loaded/unloaded difference. I agree with you some do appear so from a distance.

I know many won't admit it, but if a few are persuaded to go for a weigh and it also saves a few becoming lighter in the wallet then all the better.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  6. laneside

laneside Funster

Intresting post we have a brand new Rapido 791ff that the French rate at 3500Kg

My rear axle is rated at 2000Kg and upon weighing was coming up at 2100Kg

I stripped almost everything out of the garage as the picture shows, the only exception being a 130 watt solar on the roof and an extra 100 amp hour battery.

upon re-weighing the rear axle weight was 1960Kg which really does make the big garage into a chocolate teapot and of course if you put 40Kg in the garage it weighs far more due to the long overhand and the lever effect

Incidently this is the one I toiled with the DVLA and got re-rated at 3700Kg but rear axle limit is still 2000Kg

Attached Files:

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Snap Alan... I asked our dealer, do you have a weighbridge here... this dealer has well over a hundred vans at just one of his places...he looked very sheepish and said No.....and the customers would be surprised if they knew what weight they really are !!!!!:Eeek::Doh:...these are new Rapido and Chausson makes of vans we are talking about

• Like Like x 3
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

All these above and more reducers your payload to zero...or even Minus...overloaded before start to put food in, clothes,bedding utensils.tools,.yourself of about 60 to 70kg I would guess most are above the weight allowed, then the wife, and a dog if you have and the dogs food, Diesel around 70% of the tank, water about the same 60 to 70ltrs:Eeek:

9. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Take ours to the local weighbridge regularly and get it checked especially before we set off on a long trip and as we carry a 650cc motorbike in the garage. Luckily we have a tag axle and at 4500kgs have a massive payload so we're never overloaded but the weight does tend to creep up over time as bits get added. Fortunately we used to own the weighbridge so get freeby weighs but even at a fiver a go its cheaper than getting booked for being overloaded.

• Like Like x 1
  10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

You say that your gvw is 4005kgs on your Autotrail.
    We have recently bought a Comanche and when the V5C came back from the DVLA I noticed that they had spelled my name wrong. Whilst filling in section 6 before sending it back I thought I would look through it to see if anything else was wrong.

The revenue weight (gross) is given as 4005kgs, same as yours.
    The number of axles is given at 2, same as yours.

Only difference is that the gvw should be 5000kgs and I have 3 axles.

When I queried this with Catterick Caravans they told me that the forms come pre-printed from Autotrail, ready to fill in, and that mine was definately wrong.

I have just checked on Autotrails web site and your gvw should be 4250kgs, train weight is 5300kgs and max tow weight is 1050kgs.

Worth looking into, wouldn't you think ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

5quid ...... I wish. Just paid £10 today:cry:

At least we were well under our max of 4250Kg and that was fully laden with 2 electric bikes on the rack. :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I got mine weighed a few weeks ago with everything, full gas, water, junk, fuel and bikes on the back - mostly to ascertain the correct tyre pressures. It is worth doing, just for that as my pressures came down from 80psi to 52F/62R. Anyway, a tenner lighter was somewhat surprised find I still had nearly 500kg overall and over 400 kg available over each axle. Will weigh again in a few months time.

Rides much better on the lower pressures. End of "smug git" mode (though did have more than half an eye on the payload when I purchased the van - it eliminated a few potential purchases)

• Like Like x 2
  13. 656

656 Read Only Funster

I had mine weighed when we had the towbar fitted and with full tanks - inc 2x 11kg gas - and both of us on board. Came in at 3395 - was plated at 3400. Had it uprated to 3800 by SV Tech and now no worries :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  14. JJ

JJ Funster

Never been weighed by the authorities.

Never known anyone who has been.

Never even known the brother of a second cousin's best friend who has been fined for being over weight.

Anyhow...

Twin rear wheels maybe crap for toll roads but are great for payload. :thumb:

Never ever do as I do... do as you think best... :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

You obviously dont drive past Stafford on the M6 very often JJ. They always have motorhomes in there weighing them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JJ

JJ Funster

Would be a long way round to get to shops for me Dave... :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  17. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

One of my main problems living in the north west of the UK JJ is that most things we go to if we do not want to get wet, and have a raise in temperature and more sun, then it involves going south on the M6 past Stafford. I am also aware the NW motorway police are doing more weighing of all vehicles. Although only just retired I used to use that stretch of the M6 a lot when it meant car travel, and the M6 slip roads in the vicinity of that Stafford check site seems more than anywhere to have lurking police and VOSA vehicles - a none scientific observation I have to say.

• Like Like x 1
  18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

think you do have to remember that the nothwest is the transport hub of the uk . thats why the ministry have picked ways out from that area for hassling folk .
    but even here in sunny cornwall there is a big layby near fraddon that gets used very often for pulling folk in . very busy it gets as well. 3,500kg campers are almost garanteed to fail the weighings so i,m told . but be careful dont overload . might not be you that causes a problem but thet can still inspect all vehicles in a bad smack . if over weight you will be in trouble .
    having been in a fatal accident .not caused by me. i have seen the reports of the vehicle examinatons . its amazing . brake pad thickness etc drum size as to standard . they really go to town . not worth it . be safe .

• Like Like x 4
  19. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

NOT ME !!

LOL

i do not take the kids the bikes other people LOL

just little old me and a trailer on the back
    well under my VGWL

and i am legal tugging the car on trailer PC Richard bull told me so :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  20. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

I am worried

Yesterday afternoon, having loaded most of the kit on my wagon ready for the next few weeks, I decided to call at the local weighbridge.

Now I am worried.

It showed as 70kg UNDER weight, so allowing for the laptop going on and fridge which was not full still well under.

Ever since I have been trying to think ‘what have I forgotten to load’?:RollEyes:

I suppose it’s one of the advantages of going solo.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1