How many miles does it take to devalue your Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
When it comes to dealing with the dealers for a part ex why are motorhome owners financialy penalised for using their vehicle rather than leaving it parked on the drive for say 10 months of the year?
We toyed with the idea of a part ex at the NEC last week with several dealers and once we told them that we had covered around 25,000 in 20 months our well maintained, serviced, tidy van it was marked down because themileage was "high"!
Put the boot on the other foot - would I pay "less" if I bought a MH with high mileage from a dealer....nooo I think not .

Are these leisure vehicles supposed to be used for what they were built for or should they just shade the tarmac front drive from the sun most of the year ...Just a Sunay rant sorry o_O:sneaky:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
When it comes to dealing with the dealers for a part ex why are motorhome owners financialy penalised for using their vehicle rather than leaving it parked on the drive for say 10 months of the year?
We toyed with the idea of a part ex at the NEC last week with several dealers and once we told them that we had covered around 25,000 in 20 months our well maintained, serviced, tidy van it was marked down because themileage was "high"!
Put the boot on the other foot - would I pay "less" if I bought a MH with high mileage from a dealer....nooo I think not .

Are these leisure vehicles supposed to be used for what they were built for or should they just shade the tarmac front drive from the sun most of the year ...Just a Sunay rant sorry o_O:sneaky:

Just dealer tactics.. Because they want to buy it cheap..
I would be more wary of a van that had been sat around and done to few miles, that's not good for a diesel engine...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The real answer I'm sorry to say is one. As soon as you drive it away from the dealers you have lost a fortune. Many moons ago an average mileage for cars used to be 20k the first year then 12k thereafter.
Anyway, how dare you do 25k in 20mths? Spending too much damned time enjoying yourselves if you ask me! :mad::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Motorhomes average between 2000 - 5000 miles a year, the average domestic car is 10,000 so your van is high mileage for year, OK you use it and tour and enjoy, thats why you bought it but the average buyer will in all hindsight look fot a lower mileage van unless it is reflected in the price.

Peter

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some of the miles I see on 10 year old vans are frighteningly low IMO, when you think of mechanical things that should be lubricated and moving are just sitting there months on end.

As Gizmouk says they are commercial chassis made to gobble miles.

Martin

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Some of the miles I see on 10 year old vans are frighteningly low IMO, when you think of mechanical things that should be lubricated and moving are just sitting there months on end.

As Gizmouk says they are commercial chassis made to gobble miles.

Martin
I tend to agree but the average purchaser does not see it that way especially when one considers the habitation wear and tear for many nights use

Peter

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its not the dealers that set the value its the punters buying from them they think anything more than the average is something to worry about

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Motorhomes average between 2000 - 5000 miles a year, the average domestic car is 10,000 so your van is high mileage for year, OK you use it and tour and enjoy, thats why you bought it but the average buyer will in all hindsight look fot a lower mileage van unless it is reflected in the price.

Peter
I wouldn't go near one that had only done 2000 a year, recipe for disaster left sitting around most of the year.
8000-10000 appears to be quite normal on A Class vans.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Although the base van mechanicals can quite easily handle the mileage - you have to take into account that higher figure will equate to more wear & tear on the habitation side.
When we were looking we found load's with low miles but on some the accommodation side of thing's with lots of wear & tear compered to the miles, two in particular that had lots of wear tear & fading turned out they had been used full time in Spain.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We sold our 3 year old van ( with 23k miles) to a dealer and got just over 20% less than we bought it for, so, we just lost the vat and a few quid more.
Even though our original main dealer told us when we bought it that it was one of the few makes that hold their value, they offered considerably less than anyone else we approached.
Shop around, there are good honest dealers around ( and on this forum!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's actually nothing wrong with what they do ... if you had the option to buy a 2 year old MH with 5,000 or 30,000 miles you wouldn't expect to pay the same BUT its not just down to mileage ... a 5,000 mile one might have been sat in the sun for 2 x 6 months and had a lot of use of the habitation side but the 30,000 mile one might just have had 2 x 2 months use of the habitation bit over the same time period.

No different to cars ... we put very little mileage on ours, probably 1,500-2,000 a year in total so get a better price for them when we sell/px than one which has done 10 times that ... but it doesn't mean than the lower mileage is any better than the higher mileage ones which may have done more 'consistent' long trip mileages than our usual tootling around.

Mileage is only ONE thing to consider.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our van, bought at 5 years old with 62 k on the clock was deemed high mileage and sold at a price that reflected that, we couldn't have afforded a similar spec low mileage vehicle. As for wear and tear on the hab side, everything was fine 'tho we did buy a mattress topper, but we would probably get one for a new van anyway.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours averaged 5,000 a year over 11 years, mostly from a couple of long trips round Europe each year, plus the odd UK trip now and then. It traded in at half its original list price.

I was surprised to see how low the mileages were on some of the second hand MHs by comparison when shopping around for the next one. It's a whole different game to second hand cars.

Service intervals on the base vans for MHs are longer, but it's worth remembering that MHs are like permanently fully-laden commercial vans so the wear and tear on some components will be greater.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
My 52 plate has 33000 on it, dry stored and some years never went anywhere. The dealer price is dictated by the market , so we are led to believe. And the market decides what mileage is and isn't high. If there are lots of MH's that are that are the same age as yours, but with half the mileage or less, that by maths alone makes yours high mileage.

Its the same with a motorbike, try selling a Ducati with 20K miles on it at 2 years old, and if its a Harley, dealers will not touch them unless they are FSH and below average miles.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our car is nearly 4 yrs old, and have lost £14k in value from new - costing £20k
Buying a MH with mileage of up to 30k really wouldnt bother me, these are basically commercial vehicles and can cover big miles if maintained properly.... One thing i know for sure is i would NEVER BUY NEW ever again !
The folks who owned our present van lost a fortune on it via dealership trade in, it was only 6 months old with 3k on the clock - it was good for us as we had a bargain, the dealer made a few £ but the previous owners lost big.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I agree with peter, its nothing to do with the dealer its the customers, everyone wants a used motorhome with next to no miles on it and they sell for the highest prices, we all know that lack of use is the worst thing for fitted equipement and the chassis but that makes no difference to the buyer who is looking for a 3 year old van with under 10k on it
My latest van was 3 years old with 12995 on the clock and the only one of its spec on sale in the UK so I bought it but my PX was a 3L Iveco Hobby built like a battleship with nearly 50k on it but I certainly did not change because of mileage as the it would have done me OK for years but it did affect the price I got for it, I know the history of my RS Endeavour and I cannot understand why anyone would spend and lose so much money on something that is hardly used, I reckon the depreciation alone on mine would have cost the previous owner about £5 for every mile they travelled in it, food for thought !!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Must admit when I traded our 5-year old van in last year with 28k miles, I was surprised when the dealer remarked "Oh it's done a high mileage". Nonetheless, still got a satisfactory deal overall on sale and new purchase, which is what counts.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we told them that we had covered around 25,000 in 20 months :sneaky:

He lied to you, that is a very high mileage.

The bottom line is, Mr Punter is looking for his next MH, sees yours at 25,000, sees many others at 8000 and runs a mile from yours. That's what the dealer is thinking, "I'll never get shut of this at this mileage unless I give it away".

I guess you enjoy driving and if you enjoyed it then smile and take the hit or keep it.

We think we've used ours well at 65000 in 10 years.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
It may be because we are a bit new, and a bit thick, but when we bought our Motorhome last year - 8 years old with 58,000 miles on it - we didn't bat an eye lid at the mileage. A full service history - cab and habitation - were much more important to us that what seemed like a reasonable mileage. We could have paid a lot more and bought the same van the same age with 9000 miles on it, but, apart from saving the cash, we didn't want to risk something which had stood around for so long with so little use.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have just bought a 2007 plate motorhome it has 55000 miles on the clock an average of 7800 miles a year which is high milage but to me that shows it's reliable as the FSH shows only normal service intervals

My Car which goes back to Motability next month is 3 years old and has done 20000 miles of which 8635.1 miles so far are towing Now without the knowledge of the towing figures that is a low milage car

and how many motorhomes do more than 4000 miles a year

I know ours will be

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You wouldn't want to buy one here then.some I've looked at less than 10 years old are in six figures & with 2's & 3's at the start.:LOL:

130k on this one. 10 years old top dollar price.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

2 years old 70k absolute top dollar
Broken Link Removed
This is ex rental & 8k dearer than the local bloke here shifts his identical ones for with only 40k kms on.

35k on this pvc , 2 years old
Broken Link Removed

55k on this 2 year old !!

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread