How many do not carry a jack in their MH? (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
But you just did in previous post:D:DBUSBY.
Ha ha ha. An idiosyncratic comment. Stress the word not the mental health. Besides, no matter what, there are professionals that get paid to do that job, so why should I stop their professionalism. They do it once, do it right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ha ha ha. An idiosyncratic comment. Stress the word not the mental health. Besides, no matter what, there are professionals that get paid to do that job, so why should I stop their professionalism. They do it once, do it right
Not knocking you,,but in the 60 s and 70 s drivers had to be self reliant,,,If you got bogged in somewhere the gaffer would not whistle up a tow truck,,he expected you to get someone to pull you out,,i.e. another driver,,if you had minor mechanical or electrical problems you sorted them yourself. There was no ATS etc.But then again we were not under the surveillance of a modern driver..No tacho,no mobile phones,no trackers,,,,You had your freedom..BUSBY.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
These old boy's must love to go back to the 'good old days' well they were shit days. Get up to date, a driver is a driver, what's so good about changing a wheel? Bugger all.

Yes I did it, 1964 Baghdad, been there, got the jacket, read the script and eaten the bloody cast.

Read my lips.......?shit day's. Today, phone a friend.:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
These old boy's must love to go back to the 'good old days' well they were shit days. Get up to date, a driver is a driver, what's so good about changing a wheel? Bugger all.

Yes I did it, 1964 Baghdad, been there, got the jacket, read the script and eaten the bloody cast.

May have been shit to you Billy but i enjoyed nearly everyday,,,Would not have swapped it for a drivers job today,,To much control,,,to much traffic. Are you still trucking Billy? BUSBY,,

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Then they stopped using the guy with the flag.:rofl:

:D:D back in those good old days we

met quite a few drivers who would do the middle East run in the 70ts in a truck with sod all in it.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Not knocking you,,but in the 60 s and 70 s drivers had to be self reliant,,,If you got bogged in somewhere the gaffer would not whistle up a tow truck,,he expected you to get someone to pull you out,,i.e. another driver,,if you had minor mechanical or electrical problems you sorted them yourself. There was no ATS etc.But then again we were not under the surveillance of a modern driver..No tacho,no mobile phones,no trackers,,,,You had your freedom..BUSBY.
So basically, a different world.
However, unless you stopped trucking in the 80's, then tachographs were there, in the mid 90's, phones and recently trackers. I suppose holographic image of management next. I have a tacho, my own mobile but no tracker because I am where I am.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We take our motorhome off the beaten track regularly to go to orienteering competitions. In Feb we were on a minor road which turned into a track near to where the event was being held
On a rutted left hand uphill bend we blew a back tyre. Martin had to slowly reverse back to the straight and we had to change the wheel. No way could we have got a recovery vehicle there, in any reasonable time at least!!!

Luckily for us our spare wheel is in the garage so apart from unloading everything from around it, it's easy access.

PS. We also now carry a jack capable of lifting the van!!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Biggest issue with wheel tyre changing IS jacking, second is getting the damn Nut`s undone!.
My buddy has an "Air Bag" capable of lifting his Caravan, uses the car exhaust. Now there`s a Thought?.

Pete

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
May have been shit to you Billy but i enjoyed nearly everyday,,,Would not have swapped it for a drivers job today,,To much control,,,to much traffic. Are you still trucking Billy? BUSBY,,

No at 76 years old I don't do it now. And you are right the traffic is to much now. Maybe like!e me, you are thinking, it as good even great......at the time, I was in my 20s and trucking was the business but looking back I realise I was busting a gut for not a lot of money.
Not much I didn't drive, all over Europe and sometimes middle East, sleeping at the wheel up to 18/19 hours a day.

Was it better than today....Nope. Can I change a wheel? Yup! Would I want to? Nope. Do I want to phone breakdown while I have a cup of coffee,. You bet.

Also may I say, in today's world, if you service you vehicle and go to the tyre service shop once or twice a year you should not have a problem. Think about it, how many trucks or campers, come to that include cars as well that have blowout s or puntures these days.

Some of course will still be matcho or have something to prove, hey, I changed a wheel today..,.yawn!!:)(y)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
:D:D back in those good old days we

met quite a few drivers who would do the middle East run in the 70ts in a truck with sod all in it.

You are so right. When you are in yur 20,s money wasn't the reason you don't it. Travel, frightening, crazy........ anything went. Who else at that time could say, I was looking round Baghdad, swimming in a pool with waiter's bring you drinks. It was fun......bandits firing at the truck....yay!!!

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
when in Holland and had a some time off I would go look at the Girls in Canal Street Amsterdam, only look mind I could not afford anything else, anyway I was married :eek: it did not last long, here's a picture of her

9acbf83a8b261598f9ec8aa317340577[1].jpg

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
trucks used to come with a suitable jack and l bar and extension . many still do.
as to balanv=cing when have trucks had balancing done hardly ever if ever no need to have air lines or a air gun .
but i took it your truck at the time did have a jack and tools to remove the wheel.
and yes i see nothing wrong with consultants or soliciters mopping up and emptying bins .
after all i do it . and i owned the firm .
yes i have hgv etc and can and will change tyres etc
its definately a bad thing for any industry when anyone thinks they are too good to do a so called lower persons job.
there is no such thing as a showmans licence . i know have been a showman . and still pull a living van .
but never mind . polish drivers work harsd and get top money these days . shame uk workers arent as useful for the companies .

I think that you will find that they employ Polish drivers because they have a big shortage of drivers, English, Polish and any other type or creed you wish to mention , not because they are in some way "Better" than "English drivers. You keep on and on about Polish drivers and how good they are, perhaps better to back up your fellow country men as they work hard as well.

Just my thoughts on this very sunny day.:)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I think that you will find that they employ Polish drivers because they have a big shortage of drivers, English, Polish and any other type or creed you wish to mention , not because they are in some way "Better" than "English drivers. You keep on and on about Polish drivers and how good they are, perhaps better to back up your fellow country men as they work hard as well.

Billy Polish Drivers will work for less money that is why they are being employed by many agencies, my Brother works for agencies and the Polish drivers working for the same agency say how well off they are compared to working in Poland, same goes for many polish people who work in other jobs , they are hard working I know a few myself
many British Drivers doing the same working long hard hours, Trucking is a cut throat business and you only got to loose a tyre and there goes the profit on the job, I know employed Drivers myself, only thing that helped me is we were moving our own goods that kept us going,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

its like i said they work hard and used to be cheaper but now companies realoze they are harder workers and complain less and grateful for the job . in times gone by things were different but now good workers are becoming hard to get . most are lazy . and dont help the companies but work against them . not all and good workers get looked after .

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
its like i said they work hard and used to be cheaper but now companies realoze they are harder workers and complain less and grateful for the job . in times gone by things were different but now good workers are becoming hard to get . most are lazy . and dont help the companies but work against them . not all and good workers get looked after .

I stand corrected.(y)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Billy Polish Drivers will work for less money that is why they are being employed by many agencies, my Brother works for agencies and the Polish drivers working for the same agency say how well off they are compared to working in Poland, same goes for many polish people who work in other jobs , they are hard working I know a few myself
many British Drivers doing the same working long hard hours, Trucking is a cut throat business and you only got to loose a tyre and there goes the profit on the job, I know employed Drivers myself, only thing that helped me is we were moving our own goods that kept us going,

Then I guess we are rather foolish to stop them coming into the UK, if as you guys say they are harder workers and as @vwalan says British drivers are lazy we had better ship more in.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not just drivers many trades are finding the locals have got lazy.
this is the problem uk as been facing for possibly the last 40years . workers value them selves too high ,demand high wages and thatr forces industry away to other countries .
in the past few years as other countries in the west also are getting like the uk , they are going the same way . companies moving away to cheaper labour countries . uk is actually on a turn round . foreign workers are now encouraging some uk workers to work abit harder keeping uk economy on the up.
uk has to be competative if its to have any industry growth and it as started to grow . lets hope it keeps up.
when i say workers that includes managers as well . unfortunately the authority type employment sttill value themselves too high and are risking the uk economy .

Last edited:

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
not only was I in the trucking business I also built some houses, cant honestly say I found them hard working except a few who were good at the job, mostly they were lazy muther$uckers who wanted paying a lot for very little in return, I can say I have a Gas plumber who is 100% top dog but when I want him he's hard to get because he's so good, in the main the British worker is not the best. that does not include everyone of course before I get hundreds of alerts saying I do this and that,

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
its not just drivers many trades are finding the locals have got lazy.
this is the problem uk as been facing for possibly the last 40years . workers value them selves too high ,demand high wages and thatr forces industry away to other countries .
in the past few years as other countries in the west also are getting like the uk , they are going the same way . companies moving away to cheaper labour countries . uk is actually on a turn round . foreign workers are now encouraging some uk workers to work abit harder keeping uk economy on the up.
uk has to be competative if its to have any industry growth and it as started to grow . lets hope it keeps up.
when i say workers that includes managers as well . unfortunately the authority type employment sttill value themselves too high and are risking the uk economy .

Sorry Alan but you make out that the British worker is a lazy over paid money grabbing person.

Why then is the UK been doing so well all these years, is it all done to those hard working foreign workers?

And when I say that's the UK has done so good over the years I have tried to see which country has done better and I cannot think of any but of course I am always open to being proved wrong.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well most industries since the 60,s have been in decline . be it manufacturing .or the caer industry . food industry. clothing . never mind power trains . etc .
in the last 5-6 years its getting better .
many countries are doing well india, china , north africa is the place to watch . i have for a few years .
south america is another place that is coming up. more and more .
many we used to look on them as third world but they arent now .
europe is behind many of them.
but we are off on a tangent .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
well most industries since the 60,s have been in decline . be it manufacturing .or the caer industry . food industry. clothing . never mind power trains . etc .
in the last 5-6 years its getting better .
many countries are doing well india, china , north africa is the place to watch . i have for a few years .
south america is another place that is coming up. more and more .
many we used to look on them as third world but they arent now .
europe is behind many of them.
but we are off on a tangent .
It looked rather Third World in RIO,,,,,BUSBY,,,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I carry 4.
10 tonne bottle, 2 tonne trolley & 2 screw jacks

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Agreed and the only Polish driver I worked with was very slow (he said contentious). He just did the same job but always managed to get overtime. He had to resign as his drinking got the better of him and he was caught, admittedly in his car thank goodness as we carried a variety of gasses.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a spare wheel , the standard Fiat Ducato Jack and a 20 ton bottle jack.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got the jack that came with our Peugeot ( I fixed it under the passenger seat ) and a spare wheel ( fixed under back of the van ) .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We've got the jack that came with our Peugeot ( I fixed it under the passenger seat ) and a spare wheel ( fixed under back of the van ) .
have you tried jacking up your camper?
many really need two jacks . or to drive up on ramps the converters mess the actual body work up and dont give ideal clearance to allow a flat tyred wheel to be removed .
but you have the spare wheel thats the good thing . remember to check its pressure and make sure you can lower it and lift it . rust does cause problems for many on the winding mechanism. also make sure you have a good tool to remove or slacken the wheel nuts . best be prepared . others will help but if you have the right tools its easy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back