How low would you go?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Emmenay, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

At what point would you say, 'nope, its just too damn cold to be in the MH tonight dear'. And if you were to be in it with well below freezing temps would you risk any on-board water in the system?

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Welcome to Espanya !:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We are ok in ours provided we have hook up. Heated floors and tanks:thumb:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

having slept in the rear of an unheated and uninsulated series 2 landrover on a mattress with a couple of duvets when it was minus ten outside I can only say we were as warm as toast. Once in bed the outside temp is irellevant :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

We have been away in Scotland in snow frost and never given it a thought about the cold. All we have normally done is to make sure the waste tank does not start freezing by leaving open the drain to a bucket, easier to get rid of.
    When the van is warm never worried about inside pipework or fresh water tank

6. Emmenay

Mmmmmm, heated floors...

7. Emmenay

I plan to be in mine on Friday night and the weatherman says its going to minus 7. Should I have any concern at all?

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

It depends how well winterised your van is. Are the tanks inside or insulated and heated? Is the waste trap heated? Are all the pipe runs internal? Have you got SilverScreens for the windscreen? etc.

We have been OK at -10ºC or perhaps a bit lower, without hookup, for a couple or three nights - after that we needed hookup or generator to recharge. At very low temperatures, you need to leave the heating system running 24/7 - on tick-over when you are out.

9. Emmenay

The fresh water tank is under the floor like most others i assume. It has got a small blown air pipe leading to the area.
    I don't think the waste trap is heated and yes I do have a silverscreen thingy.

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We went up to Aviemore , not last Xmas the one before , when it was well below freezing everywhere.
    It got as low as - 15. Brrrr

We didn't have any problems with anything.
    The motorhome is fully winterised though and has Webasto diesel heating. We've also got the silverscreen too.
    We go away in ours all year round. I much prefer freezing to wet, any day.

Infact the only problem we had was when we took it back to storage. The lazy so and so's hadnt bothered to clear the snow , at all at the entrance , we got stuck waiting for the barrier to raise up :Angry:
    Drove around the Cairngorms no problems and got stuck in Castleford :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

If in doubt about water drain system and carry water in bottles, live as though camping, if on EHU as said leave heating on tick over, put external screen on windscreen and enjoy it,it works. One occasion to use site facilities for once.
    We have done it and never had a problem

12. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

We're exsternal waste tanks, and bar those freezing, well it was -13 on one occation, no problems, as other say keep heating on 24/7, just down a bit for sleep or if out, mind you ours will go from 0 to 20+ C in about 15 minutes on the main heater, typical Yank, mind you we can also empty the on board gas tank in 5 days if using that as the only heater:Rofl1::Eeek:

Most of the fresh is 'usually' in board so as long as you keep the van temp reasonable all should be fine. If you do go for a wander, open the cupboard doors while you're out, let the heat circulate, especially low down ones where there is pipe work.

PS Winter is my favorite time to be away, scenes and quiet, mmmm

• Like Like x 1
  13. aba

aba

we have been in ours as low as -18 and slept above the bed clothes nice and toasty
    as said leave the heating on low when you go out and close the roof light blinds as when it starts to go colder it always seems to come from up there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Particularly nice with bare feet:BigGrin:

15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think most, if not all of the earlier posters (me included) who have reported no problems at low temperatures, are referring to German (or certainly continental) vans. These normally have the fresh water tank inside or between the layers of a double floor which is a heated void. Waste tanks are often in the floor void as well, or if external, are insulated and heated. British vans by contrast often have the tanks outside under the floor. Unless these are specially insulated and have electric heaters in them, they are prone to freeze.

It might be an idea to detail what van you have and ask other owners to comment on low temperature performance. The rest of us are probably guessing, albeit with informed guesses.

16. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We're on our 2nd winter in the MH. Last year in the Merc 608 we were snowed in for several weeks up a welsh hill, coldest was -17. Propex kept us toasty, 28degs on occasion. Waste outlet froze, everything else ok. Ran out of gas once when we couldn't get up the lane to trolley a new bottle back, so used a 500w electric heater for a bit. She was foam-insulated throughout and the double layer bubble-wrap home-made screen cover worked well. ... This year we're in the Dethleffs with the luxury of the Truma blown-air system. Dual-circuit with outlets to the tanks too. Haven't dug the bubble-wrap out yet to make another screen cover (spend too much time on MHF). 130w solar and occasional run of the engine keeps it all ticking over nicely ....

:Smile:

17. Emmenay

Good point JeanLuc,

its a swift kon tiki 600 on a Ducato mk2 I think. 2003.

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I hate winter .. spent 2008/2009 winter living in the RV in the UK .. it's only fun when you don't need to do it and you can beat a hasty back to your comfy home..

Nothing froze in the RV.. heated tanks and belly lockers.. it was warm inside.. but .. but. when the water stand pipes are frozen , your hose is frozen solid .. it's no fun lugging water from the CL owners house.. no fun trying to empty black tanks. .. and no fun trying to keep kids amused when darkness falls by 4 pm ..

Also spent Xmas and New Year in Aviemore .. 1999/2000 , so big celebrations and great fun in the snow for a few days .. but great to get home.

Yes it is pretty.. and it can be fun but the novelty soon wears off sitting on an icy field with the wind howling and your black tank is full..

Much better in warmer climes for winter :thumb:

but a picture is worth a thousand words.. which one do you think is more fun ..

UK Winter or Spain Winter(me with kilt) .. both taken at Xmas time.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

20. mikkidee

mikkidee Read Only Funster

Not the Grande Frontier:Smile: Internal fresh water tank, and external waste insulated. Roasty toasty down to -8 in the Lakes a couple of years ago. And everything flowing like a good red wine.:Wink:

Mike.:Smile: