How long would my gas last in winter? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I tried the search function to no avail so sorry if this is asked to death.

I have two Gas bottles on my Swift 696. Both Calor Propane. Main is 6KG and back up is 3.9KG

Obviously in winter we are more likely to use the heating more and probably a mix or Gas and EHU to get the thing up to temperature and then switch to EHU only to maintain.

Add in Breakfast and an evening meal cook how long would you expect to get through the 6KG bottle?

Also can you use either Propane and Butane if you had both to hand or would you have to change anything over first?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to stick to propane for winter/cold weather use as butane won't gas below 5 degrees I believe. As for how long it will last - difficult to say as it will depend on how long and how high you have the heating on, but as you'd be supplementing it with EHU I would expect you'd not use more than 2-3 litres a day (approx 1-1.5k).

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How long is a piece of string ?

All depends how long you would run the heating and what temp it was set at.
Also depends on the ambient temperature.
How long would you have the cooker running ?

Butane or propane.....
Propane is the ideal winter gas as it changes from liquid to gas at sub zero temperatures.
Butane doesnt gas very well at very low plus zero temps and wont gas at all sub zero.
The bottles have different valves so either seperate regulators or a bulkhead reg and different pigtail hoses needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In the winter use Propane as Butane will stop working at low temperatures. Heating uses a lot of gas whereas cooking uses relatively little, mainly because you don't eat all day.

If you have a UK hookup of 16A then I would suggest you warm up the van initially with a fan heater rather than using gas. The built in electric heating usually only uses 6-8A so there's some left over to use another heater.

I'm surprised you have only room for such small gas bottles. I haven't owned a Swift for many years so ignorant of current models but when I did (KonTiki 650) it would take 2x13kg.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm surprised you have only room for such small gas bottles. I haven't owned a Swift for many years so ignorant of current models but when I did (KonTiki 650) it would take 2x13kg.
Just googled the model and it stated 7kg (that would be butane) so 6kg propane.

Upvote 0

Tim120

Free Member
Nov 14, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 625
Exp
New to owning, have hired once.
Hi Guys,
I'm new here too, welcome:)
I know very little about anything with regard to MH's.... however I do know that propane is preferable in cold weather as butane will not work below a certain temp, don't know, is the answer to your question.
I had to use a specific regulator for propane and a specific regulator for butane when I was fishing so not as simple as just changing a cylinder.
It might be worth thinking about refillable gas (LPG) costly to start with but cheaper to fill.

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We were away for 2 months last winter through France but mainly in Spain. We started with a 13kg and an 11 kg. We switched from the 13 to the 11 after about 5 weeks and returned with some gas left. We were mainly on sites with EHU. We were away again to Scotland in Spring for 2 months and got through the best part of 3 bottles, roughly 2/3rds on sites and 1/3rd wilding.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016

Thanks for the info guys. That gives me food for thought.

The van came with a 6kg bottle fitted and it looks a good fit and with X2 of those you could not get any wider bottles in. Maybe a bit taller but as they are fixed sizes were stuck with X2 6KG as a max. The 3.9KG is one I had in the garage from BBQ'ing so I just slung it in the spare spot so I have a spare. Thinking about it I need to check it is Propane. I just assumed with it been Red as well. I stand to be corrected.

I swapped the 6KG one today for a full one as it felt a bit light. It was just a freebie from the place we bought the van so don't think it was full to begin with hence the original question. I paid £28.99 at a local garage then later that day was at Towsure in Sheffield and they were £23.99 so I lost a fiver. Sure ill iron out the costs in time. What are others paying?

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Unfortunately your gas capacity is rather limited for winter use.

Consumption will depend on how ‘toasty’ you want to keep your van. Better to wear extra layers of clothing and keep the temperature down. I could get through 3.9kg of gas in less than a week in winter, when I first caravanned, but insulation was not good then and I didn’t have the luxury of EHU. I quickly invested in a larger cylinder and put that outside, but I’m not sure that that would be very practical in a motorhome.

Use (16A) EHU as much as possible. If you add a separate electric blown air heater (they’re not expensive to buy) for space heating and use the fitted boiler for heating water only, on electric, your gas will last much longer. I’m out of touch with the price of gas in small bottles these days but you may find electricity cheaper even if you have to pay for it. If you feel the need to use the installed blown air, use it with the gas as well or your hot water will be chilled.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
6kg Propane at Gooutdoors is £18.22 with the discount card.
Broken Link Removed

If 'off grid' we'll probably use 6kg in around four days during winter (when temp's around freezing). That's cooking, heating and hot water.
If on ehu, the hot water, majority of heating, boiling kettle and some meals are all taken care of, so the gas lasts much longer (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If it was a Calor cylinder I thought it should be a fixed same price wherever, I also agree with above by Minxy, 6kg may well only last 2 days in winter

but for sure I would not be changing a cylinder unit, it gasped its last breath, the contents are expensive, whatever you give back they sell on to the next customer at your expense, provided you know you have a spare run right out then change next time

I think your little one will be Propane, you might away with swapping 3kg for 6kg when changing next, it will depend a lot on what they have in stock

But refillables are soooooo much better value, we swapped 18 months ago and have only put about £40 in since and went to Scotland in March and France in Feb this year (y)

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Last winter we got through around 13kg of gas in just over a week, but we didn't use a hook up. I guess 6kg will last you about a week if you use it sparingly and hook up to mains when you can.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Refillables may be an answer but it will depend on many things. The installation price is not insignificant and, although you could move them when you next change the vehicle, you’d probably want to ‘move up’ to fit larger bottles. They would enable you to keep your main bottle full, though, and the gas would be a lot cheaper to buy. If doing that, I’d look at one SafeFill. They’re cheaper and lighter and you can fill them up from home without needing to take the m/h. Check that one will fit (they’re a little chubbier than the Calor 6kg) and you have a ‘friendly’ filling location locally.

If you’re lucky (have space for a second Calor 6kg) and can find a distributor that will swap your dumpy cylinder for the taller one; do so without hesitation. They’re not supposed to but some may allow it. Having two the same size will be much more convenient. You won’t be left guessing how much is left in your tiny ‘spare’.

I’ve just re-read your original post and note that you asked about mixing gas types. Different gas types require different connections, so are not easy to swap about. If you have a bulkhead regulator (that may be marked ‘30mb’) it can use either Propane or Butane. Even if it’s possible to connect both types of bottle to it at the same time, as you can with a changeover system, the regulator will only take from one bottle at a time (automatically or by manual switching).

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although temperature has been mentioned no one has said anything about wind. We find although we have a fully winterised well insulated van we find wind speed can have a far higher effect on the temp inside the van than air temp. Normally the van will heat up in 20-30 mins then the heater will turn down to min but with a force 8 gale blowing it can take 1-2 hours with the heater running full blast even with outside temps of 6-7deg and uses a lot more gas.
As said how long will it last, like a piece of string, without EHU 6kg probably 2-3 days.

Upvote 0

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
1478257150908.jpg
20161104_105824_Burst01.jpg

I have two Gas bottles on my Swift 696. Both Calor Propane. Main is 6KG and back up is 3.9KG

Obviously in winter we are more likely to use the heating more and probably a mix or Gas and EHU to get the thing up to temperature and then switch to EHU only to maintain.

Add in Breakfast and an evening meal cook how long would you expect to get through the 6KG bottle?

Also can you use either Propane and Butane if you had both to hand or would you have to change anything over first?

Hi. We had no hesitation to go for refillable propane kit. Its around 55p a litre at the moment a

Hi. I'm quite new to moho' ing. I plumped for refillable bottles straight away. Take a look at my postings about it. Used Avon autogas- fantastic setup for half the price of the high priced ones. I had space(I thought) for only 2 x 6kg bots. but when the fitter looked at the locker, he easily managed an 11 and 6. Now 17kgs of propane at my local lpg gas depot is £17.67-work that out against the rest-no brainer. pm me if you want more detail or cant find it. Pics. of the setup and filler.

Tom.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
13kg a week with us. That is with water heating, a lot of cooking, some van heating (not too much) and the fridge. We're a big American van to keep warm though.

A lot of European vans will last longer than us but then they are so small that when they light a candle they need to open the door to let a bit of heat out ;)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi. I'm quite new to moho' ing. I plumped for refillable bottles straight away. Take a look at my postings about it. Used Avon autogas- fantastic setup for half the price of the high priced ones. I had space(I thought) for only 2 x 6kg bots. but when the fitter looked at the locker, he easily managed an 11 and 6. Now 17kgs of propane at my local lpg gas depot is £17.67-work that out against the rest-no brainer. pm me if you want more detail or cant find it.

Tom.
As the OP is limited to 6kg bottles with the cost of exchange bottles well worth the cost of re-fillable. Our last 8 week trip where heating was only required for a few days we used 70Lt (36kg) of gas.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They are-Snatch their hands off before they go up. They also sell on fleabay.

I would, but we bought Gaslow almost as soon as we bought the van. Refillable is just so easy to live with. Mostly. The problem being if you tie your van down to a pitch for many winter weeks. But on the whole, the way to go.

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I am a full timer.

Here is my LPG usage since Autogas installed two 11kg "Alugas" bottles in my 7m A Class Knaus.... That's approx 44Ltrs of LPG I believe.

I have a Dometic AES RMD 8555 fridge freezer
Dometic oven/grill above freezer.
Truma Combi (E) CP plus ready heater/water heater.
Three burner hob.

I don't have front external blinds... Only the OEM internals that came as standard and I usually park-up so that the sun (if about) is on the large windscreen during the day if possible (both to keep screen from misting and for warmth during day).

I mostly run on LPG, with 100w solar and two110ah batteries during warmer/sunnier months... but at this time of year I do use EHU about every 5/7 days for a night or two....

I tend to leave the hot water on 24/7 nowadays... Mostly because LPG is easy to come by locally - and the heater is under my "daytime seat" so keeps it warm :)

I use the 3 burner hob every day... Mornings for kettle and one pan breakfast etc.... And of an evening - I use at least two rings on average - and sometimes the oven too... ( I cook from scratch as opposed to ready meals etc )

I shower every day.. And wash lots of pots etc...

I use heating when necessary during day... (Like today).... And at this time of year - leave it on - set it to 10 Deg for overnight..

You'll notice the big difference in LPG usage tween summer and today...

Hope that helps :)

Note 1: the first line is install date - leaving Autogas2000 site with full bottles.

Note 2: look at the litres used to date and cost.. Then compare to litres for old exchange 6kg bottles @ 11ltrs for circa £25 a pop..

Circa £110 LPG vs £434 for Calor equiv.. So.. Circa £300 recovery of install cost.. I.e 50% to date.

image.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
LPG certainly looks the way forward. Love the external fill points so I can just whack it in at the garage when I fill the diesel up.

Will have to look at costs v purse strings next summer. Awening is going to rob the first big upgrade purchase first.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
IMO you would be better to get the gas first. Awnings are expensive for something you use for 10min then have to put away because a bit if wind has come along. Had an awning on the last van, didn't bother on this one we have not missed it. Not bothered to order one for the new van.

Gas is used a lot more than an awning.:)

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
I'm using twin 6kg refillable in my Elddis. Off,grid in winter I reckon I can use 6kg in 2-3 days. As others have said, if its windy that seems to make a big difference in heating a van, still, cold days are no problem.

Its crazy paying £24 to get a calor refill when filling both with LPG at the pump costs me just over a tenner. Basically, if you plan for winter use over a few years then get refillable. If you plan to tour Europe in summer for more than 2 weeks then you probably need refillable. if you plan to tour Europe in Autumn/Winter /Spring then you definitely need refillable.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@davidathomas42 We find Towsure best value for many things( and love the cheap cafe!) and just down the hill!
As many said Propane gas and we've gone for the light weight bottles. In winter we tend to use E H on sites but I France in the summer on Aires we only used half a tank. For 3 weeks .
Hope your first weekend went well!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back