How long will I survive

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whiskers27, Aug 28, 2009.

1. whiskers27

whiskers27 Read Only Funster

Hi All

When I get my motorhome (6 Days to go) It will have 2 80AH gel batteries and z2 11kg gas bottles, now when I had my caravan I never stayed on a site without an electric hook up. So never used the battery or gas to there full potential, I am hoping to change this and pitch where and when I want not following timescales and using sites all the time.

Anyway back to my question how long can I expect to be self sufficient for with the batteries and gas that I have if I am sensible.

Thanks all

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

depends on your usage.....got to be pretty frugal with batteries.
    invest in a solar panel to keep them topped up.

i would say a couple of days unless,like me, your a TV addict and need bright lights to read by.

gas....ages on two 11kg bottles unless you have the heating on all the time.

fridge will be economical though

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  3. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

When I had my Caravan we could last Friday night to Sunday afternoon with 1 110amp battery. That was with about 4 hrs TV Friday night and the same Sat night. We both would have a shower each day, so the pump would pull a few amps. If it was in the winter we had to be frugal with the lighting or by late Saturday the TV would go of when you ran the taps.

Andy

4. errpaul

errpaul Funster

We've got one 80AH battery and have done Friday evening to Sunday afternoon no problem, but then we don't use a TV when we're not on hook up so obviously that will make a difference.
    Gas...well we've been on the same bottle since March and have probably been away for somewhere in the region of 35 - 40 nights in that time....some on hook up, some running everything on gas and battery.

According to our manual the fridge will use 0.24 kg for 24 hours use.

5. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

Last winter we had our heating on 24hrs a day set at 25c day time 15 night time and a 11kg cyl lasted just over 5 days.
    Forgot to add fridge on gas all the time and cooking on gas.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

We have 2-85amp batteries and a 800watt inverter just done 7nights in Skegness without hook up.

John.

7. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

By the sound of it your saying your going to be moving around and wild camping a lot. Thats what we do and we hardly ever stay in the same place more than 2,3 or at most 4 nights. We just did 3 months of this and were only on hook up about 6 nights and we didnt need to be. As long as you move around for an hour or so then you should keep the battery topped up. We have no solar panels and just one 110AH battery. We are frugal with lights etc and when not on hookup use a small 10" fold down TV/DVD player which uses a fraction of the power of a 15" or 19" TV. One 12KG Gaslow bottle lasts about 3-4 weeks. Fridge is on 24/7 and lots of cooking and hot water!

Oh and enjoy your new MH!!!

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

It all depends on what you plan to use (of course).
    Our MH has 2 x 110 Ah batteries and 2 x 11 kg Gaslow cylinders.
    We do not have TV but do watch DVDs on a laptop plus powered speakers (both from a 150W inverter). In winter at below freezing in the UK, we have managed 3, maybe 4, nights without re-charging. That is with heating on 24/7 (tick-over during daytime when we are out walking, and at night when we're asleep). This plus cooking and fridge uses about 1 bottle of gas.

In summer, we have never got close to running out of either. I guess batteries would last 6-7 days and gas could be as long as 4 weeks. But we rarely stay longer than 3 days in any location so batteries get re-charged long before exhaustion.

Philip