How long to get from Calais to the south

Discussion in 'France' started by stevec, Feb 3, 2016.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

We're off to France mid March for a couple of weeks and want to find some vaguely warmer weather. How many hours drive from Calais to (say) Nimes? I don't want to be on peages all the time (boring and also expensive) but will take them to avoid bottlenecks. Perhaps driving for max four hours a day at no more than 60mph. A bit vague I know but someone must have done it!

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

With these hours and speed, I'd say 3 days.. but you can put in your parameters into Via Michelin route planner for an exact timing

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevec

stevec Funster

I'll check that out, thanks. We may go a bit further west maybe via Toulouse in which case we will go the route we took coming back from the Dordogne last year past Limoges. We'll check out the weather forecast to see where the better weather will be. I'd originally planned on heading to Ile de Re for some cycling. Maybe we still will. But getting further south is worth planning for if it is feasible in the time.

Only 22 weeks 'til retirement though! Then we won't have to worry about how long it takes.

• Like Like x 4
  4. snowdrops

snowdrops Funster Life Member

We usually leave Calais at 0100 french time and get down to the Cote d'azure for lunchtime, stopping just before Dijon for an hour or 2 nap in the services, usually just at first light. Love driving thro the night, hit the motorway and don't stop. Usually v tired when we get there, tho that's partly cos we go straight after work. However, for lounging around pools or the sea for the first few days it's all good. Don't forget to stick 'Nostalgie FM' on tho. :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Read Only Funster

Nimes is lovely, and there is lots to see (and eat) Went there a couple of weeks ago - there is a big carpark by the sports stadium you can stay all day, but not overnight. Cant be sure, but I think it was free. Its about 3 klms from the town, but there are things to see on the way.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I don't want to drive until I fall asleep so we take it fairly easy.
    As a (very) rough and easy to remember guide I reckon a river a day.
    Day 1 to the Seine
    Day 2 Seine to the Loire
    Day 3 Loire to the Dordogne
    Day 4 Dordogne to the Med.

We don't use peage, cruise at 80-90kph and usually stop on aires.
    Enjoy your trip.

Richard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

What are you going to do with the other twenty hours in a day:)

I can get south with one overnight....

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Driving up to 7 hours a day on autoroutes wherever possible at 60-70mph I'd say two days, assuming an early start from Calais. That's how we've got to Biarritz and the Camargue anyway.

From what you describe I'd assume at least 3 days and maybe part of a 4th day, especially if you arrive late in Calais.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you aren't going to hit the tarmac 'hard' then 2 weeks isn't long enough to do it justice, you'll just have got there when you'll be thinking of turning round and coming home.

• Like Like x 3
  10. stevec

stevec Funster

MinxyGirl has a good point. No good busting a gut if we don't have to. I have to keep reminding myself that motorhoming in France is as much about the journey as it is the destination. We plan all of September in France as we will have retired by then. Maybe we'll leave it until then.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Being a tourist. Even when i go to mainland Europe on a bike ill stick to 4-5 hours riding. Pay for a holiday not a drive, i can do that crap at home.

12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Mappy website will give you distance, time, fuel estimate and toll charges for any trip. Going down to the Limoges area there are 2 peace routes with a vast difference in cost, so it's worth checking online before you travel.

13. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

As with some others.. if we're going south we do it as quickly as possible.
    March were off to the pyrenees and will cross using the tunnel and stop at Neufchatel-en-Bray. . Next day we will drive to Pau in one hit only stopping for meals etc.
    Were then in a good position to decide where we're going depending on weather.

• Like Like x 2
  14. snowdrops

I do agree that for general touring of France, the journey can also be part of it, but I suppose it depends how much time you want to spend down the med and in the hot sun. We work full-time and want maximum time there and not a huge amount of driving once we're there, this means it's worth us taking a day either end of the hols to belt it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Steve and Kat

Steve and Kat Funster

East Sussex, Nr Bateman's & West Sussex, Horsham
    Great post, thank you. We have a spare 2 week period and are booking up to go down to Brittany for 2 weeks in June. Our first time abroad in our Van.. Am interested in the comments on here... The Michelin map seems a good tool too.. We don't want to do Peage either, and want to go off route and just look round the countryside. Any other help that helps us newbies will be gratefully rec'd..

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I tend to slog it as fast as I can down to Montreuil-Belay 10Km south of Saumur in one hit. I have a day there then it takes me at least another 2 days to get the rest of the way south. I am not a fan of the north of France. I go Montreuil-Belay because it has a great Aire with some cracking food joints. right next to the river and just under the Chateaux. The restaurant right next to the Aire is a really friendly joint with great food and friendly staff who are happy to help you with your french or practice their English.

I then pick a different route south every single time. I never plan the route and just look for an Aire when I am ready to stop or find somewhere I like. I found some great places this way. Planning is for tuggers....

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. snowdrops

Brittany is lovely, however, you probably will find that the weather isn't that much different to the UK. To get some hot, dry weather head at least down to Bordeaux/St Jean de Luz. Temps down south can hit a steady 30 degrees or more after Avignon, Orange etc. So if you do have a change of plan and want the heat, there's some incredibly beautiful places down there. Enjoy whichever :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

We take three days, Chalon- sur - Champagne, Beaune then Vaison La Romaine.
    60 mph using motorways with liber Tag and 250-300 miles per day. Easy driving and we do have the time!

19. busby

busby Funster

I would think that after a day at work and then all that driving not only would you be tired ,,i would think you were highly dangerous. BUSBY:(:(:(:(

• Like Like x 1
  20. WillH

WillH Funster

Did it once in a day and a half towing a caravan, stopped overnight half way down. My log shows just over 12 hrs. drive time from Calais to Sete.