How long is it reasonable for damp to clear after repair? (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
When Swift engineers paid us a house call to fix the missing bolts they discovered ceiling damp. They said 17% but in fact it was closer to 27%.
Our dealer diagnosed that the roof sealing strip (see photo) was poorly applied and was letting in water.

This has been repaired and I'm now wondering just how long to give the van to dry out considering current climactic conditions. I've bought the van home and I'm considering putting on the heating to see if that will help for a couple of weeks.

How long is reasonable to assess whether the repair has been fully effective?

Attachments

• roof strip.JPG
    roof strip.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 187

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can put the heating on, it will evaporate the moisture which will then condense everywhere there is a cold surface, windows etc. Until you can open up the van to air in a dry atmosphere I think you will be wasting your time. Sorry. The water is sitting between the roof and the ceiling it cannot escape, to dry it properly the ceiling should at least be opened up to let it breath. This is why damp is such a problem The people who fitted the bad seal should do a proper job or you are just storing problems for the future. If it is a new van or under a Swift warrenty I'd be sending it back for a proper job to be done.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
When Swift engineers paid us a house call to fix the missing bolts they discovered ceiling damp. They said 17% but in fact it was closer to 27%.
Our dealer diagnosed that the roof sealing strip (see photo) was poorly applied and was letting in water.

This has been repaired and I'm now wondering just how long to give the van to dry out considering current climactic conditions. I've bought the van home and I'm considering putting on the heating to see if that will help for a couple of weeks.

How long is reasonable to assess whether the repair has been fully effective?

Have you got, or can you borrow, a dehumidifier, much better way to deal with the damp quickly and efficiently.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
resealing it is fine but it needs the inside roof out to dry it out any idiot can seal in damp I would be having a word with someone if I were you

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Thanks for the replies, all good points, I'm taking the motorhome back to the dealers on the 20th to have some other Swift "errors" fixed so I'll have a chat then.

Would this be a job for the dealer or Swift?

ps: still under warranty

Last edited:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Your purchase contract is with the dealer not the manufacturer.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The dealer should be well capable to fix it --A case of removing a internal board and letting it dry out -AT the moment you have damp trapped between the roof and vinyl faced boards both of which are more or less waterproof (ceiling board less so) so any water in there cannot get out -a bit like those garden things in a bottle - the heat etc warms the air up and then causes condensation that runs back into your boards in what is in effect a sealed environment :Doh::Smile:-Until it's opened up it will take a very long time to dry -opened up it may well dry in a few days :Smile:- until it's opened and inspected who knows how long it's been leaking ? thus who knows how much damage? chances are it's been leaking since it was built so could well have wet lots of your van that will only show at probably the lowest point
terry

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Cheers for that detailed reply Terry, if anyone knows about motorhome construction it's self-build people like you.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Having thought about this further and read the advice given in this thread I have decided to escalate the damp issue with the dealer.
This post:
Broken Link Removed

in this thread:
Broken Link Removed

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Damp is every Motorhome owners worst nightmare:Sad: and it sounds like your dealers have just sealed it up without looking to see how bad it was, if it were me I'd want to know, so I think you are doing the right thing but be carefull about being fobbed off, stand firm and good luck we are right behind you:thumb:

Until you fall of course then we'll run like hell:Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
applying heat alone in a damp environment will make it worse and spread the issue. as already explained you need to get the water out of the ceiling where its trapped. it needs opening up and warm air blown in with a powerful dehumidifier in there for a minimum 48 hours

if you leave the damp sealed into the ceiling/roof it will cause the boards to start rotting.....that damp smell you get in older motorhomes that have previously leaked

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Holy thread revival you may say...................................just an update....
We went into our motorhome a week ago and it smelt musty so I did a damp test with my little consumer meter
ceiling#1.JPG
ceiling#2.JPG

sorry for the lousy iphone pics but the results are there to see.
I had asked the dealer for a full damp test and report back in March which they did not do so having taken legal advice a strong letter has been sent to the dealer and an advisory letter to Swift.
Legal action looks likely.
The last lawyer I spoke to at Which Legal mentioned that even if the manufacturer did a full strip down repair I would be legally required to inform a future buyer of this which would impact resale value.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back