how long is a piece of string

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pops, Apr 24, 2016.

1. pops

pops Funster

Ok story so far, We were 6 days into our 3+ month tour of Scotland when are Combi 4E packed in giving heat on the low setting. Gas is ok, but high setting we are only getting low heat. I suspect that a element has gone. We have a fan heater to help out in very cold weather and have bought another one as a backup. The van is just over three years old and I reckon that the heater has been on for roughly 3,000 hours in that time. So ladies and gents the question is do you think this is good or would you expect a longer life. Hence the title How long is a piece of string.
    We are still on our travels and we are ready for anything the weather is going to throw at us.

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Sorry.. I don't have a piece of string to measure.. .. our Truma boiler is gas only ..

I guess that makes mine 0.0 cm :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The length of a piece of string is an equation with a variable answer.........your boiler is a piece of string.

Anything electrical or mechanical can fail at any time.....and without warning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

I could be wrong (probably!) but Truma may give a three warranty on the 4E and might give some "goodwill" if it's just over three years old? Might be worth a call to them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

At 3000 hours sounds like well past it's sell by date, I've seen reports on the web of the heating elements only lasting about 18 months of normal use. They work better on gas anyway and a lot cheaper to run.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Is the string lying down or standing up ?
    It's not clear wheather you want the Length or the Height:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

The electric part is only 1800 watts if I am right and that will not give a lot of heat, start up on gas get the temperature up then keep it going on electric hook up. Was it any different before???? Cold weather show all the deficiencies in the vehicle insulation and it takes a load more heat to keep it warm more than the electric coil can give.