How long does your computer take to boot from scratch.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My laptop never ceases to amaze me, I timed from switch on through to windows 10 fully operational including entering my password tonight. It took just 15 seconds. That has got to beat those Apple thingies. I can remember the days when I used to turn them on and have time to make a cup of tea before it was time to enter my password.....

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can't really time it on mine, because mine starts a webserver, Database Server, PHP services, NTP service, a Virtual Machine manager plus quite a few other services.
But this is the results.

karl@Karl-Main ~ $ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 8.108s (kernel) + 8.090s (userspace) = 16.199s

So 16 Seconds.

I believe 7 Seconds or so is the usual boot time without all the extras. Because of my complicated networking setup that on it's own takes 5.376 seconds.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My new MacBook Pro boots up as soon as you open the lid, takes about 5 or 6 seconds before it's ready to go

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My new MacBook Pro boots up as soon as you open the lid, takes about 5 or 6 seconds before it's ready to go
So does mine if I have it on stand-by. Are you sure yours was from full shut down.....:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Perhaps someone could explain, I am from the old school where leaving electrical appliances on stand-by or sleep should not become routine so I always turn my laptop off when I have finished with it. Now I read that many of you leave yours on stand-by/sleep. Can anyone please explain what is left energized while your laptop is on sleep. I have a sleep option but never use it so what would be the benefit for me in turning my laptop off....Ta

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So does mine if I have it on stand-by. Are you sure yours was from full shut down.....:)
Enjoy your new laptop speed buttons because it uses Windows and it won't stay fast. It's an absolute certainty that the start up will get longer over time, much longer. And because you use Windows you'll restart it a lot. Do your self a favour and take a disk image now so you can easily restore it to this speed when gets too slow for you. When I used Windows Acronis saved me a lot of down time. Use it, you will need it (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Enjoy your new laptop speed buttons because it uses Windows and it won't stay fast. It's an absolute certainty that the start up will get longer over time, much longer. And because you use Windows you'll restart it a lot. Do your self a favour and take a disk image now so you can easily restore it to this speed when gets too slow for you. When I used Windows Acronis saved me a lot of down time. Use it, you will need it (y)
Thanks Jim but I was absolutely determine not to go dawn that route with this laptop. It was a hand down from my son. He used it for a year now I have had it for nearly a year and installed W10 in that time. Just checked the storage it has 212gb free of 237gb and is as fast as when I got it.
I have a Home network that it uses for storage keeping the 250 SSD and the i7 processor for operation functions. Still lightning fast after nearly 2 years....(y)
My son by the way got himself a Microsoft laptop that makes my laptop now appear steam powered. Unbelievable bit of kit with two separate batteries Windows10 operation and last but not least.....It like mine has a touch screen;)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Macbook pro, best laptop I have ever had and imac as my main computer, battery life, speed etc etc.

Best thing I ever did was get rid of windows from my life.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Perhaps someone could explain, I am from the old school where leaving electrical appliances on stand-by or sleep should not become routine so I always turn my laptop off when I have finished with it. Now I read that many of you leave yours on stand-by/sleep. Can anyone please explain what is left energized while your laptop is on sleep. I have a sleep option but never use it so what would be the benefit for me in turning my laptop off....Ta
Bump......

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bump......

MacBooks work from sleep brilliantly, I can go literally many months without restarting. Mac programs seem to be better at releasing resources when they are not in focus. I have heavyweight programs open on my MacBook all the time, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Scrivenor open 24/7 All I ever do is close the lid. If I reboot twice a year something is wrong. My considerable experience with Windows using sleep and hibernate have always been problematic at best and I'd almost always recommend windows users that full shutdowns are best, at least when Windows starts fresh you'll have a few hours before its starts to slow up. :D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
MacBooks work from sleep brilliantly, I can go literally many months without restarting. Mac programs seem to be better at releasing resources when they are not in focus. I have heavyweight programs open on my MacBook all the time, Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Scrivenor open 24/7 All I ever do is close the lid. If I reboot twice a year something is wrong. My considerable experience with Windows using sleep and hibernate have always been problematic at best and I'd almost always recommend windows users that full shutdowns are best, at least when Windows starts fresh you'll have a few hours before its starts to slow up. :D
I'm definitely no expert Jim yet I don't come across any of these problems, I will start hibernating instead of shut down though and see how it goes..(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My HP Laptop with Win10 about 30 sec - 1 min, over a year old and still performing well.
My Dell desktop with Vista about 15 min before almost usable, I say almost as its getting unusable I reformated a year ago it was OK for about a month.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I should re-boot more often but it's been months now. Haven't a clue how long it takes, but waking from sleep is instant.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My HP Laptop with Win10 about 30 sec - 1 min, over a year old and still performing well.
My Dell desktop with Vista about 15 min before almost usable, I say almost as its getting unusable I reformated a year ago it was OK for about a month.

I don't have any experience with Windows 10, maybe they are getting it right. If win 10 is it, which from what I read I seriously doubt, they've taken long enough. Though I do admit XP and 7 worked well for me when they did work.

We have a couple of 6 year old MacBook Pros that work as fast as they did on day one, which is pretty fast. I never had a Windows laptop I didn't bin as unusable before its second birthday. I do have a 5 year old Dell. Windows killed that, but I bought it back to life with Linux Mint and its now very fast and very capable.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
at least when Windows starts fresh you'll have a few hours before its starts to slow up. :D

It always amazes me just how many programs are running in the background in Windows. Before doing benchmarks etc I take 5 minutes to end most of the tasks.

Processes.png

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Checked my work pc laptops. Toshiba Tecra dual boot xp /win7, 6 year old and choked with old test software and all manner of crap takes 2 min 44sec from start to browsing internet. New Lenovo win10 with fast startup disabled 1 min 15 seconds to browsing and last my home apple macbook 7 year old and much like my old work pc its choka with crap 2 min 45 to browsing which is fast enough for me :) Anyone with win 10 out of box set up laptop will have fast start enabled by default so it is only hibernating when shutdown to speed up start up, hold the shift key down while shutting down and see how fast it starts up then :D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Checked my work pc laptops. Toshiba Tecra dual boot xp /win7, 6 year old and choked with old test software and all manner of crap takes 2 min 44sec from start to browsing internet. New Lenovo win10 with fast startup disabled 1 min 15 seconds to browsing and last my home apple macbook 7 year old and much like my old work pc its choka with crap 2 min 45 to browsing which is fast enough for me :) Anyone with win 10 out of box set up laptop will have fast start enabled by default so it is only hibernating when shutdown to speed up start up, hold the shift key down while shutting down and see how fast it starts up then :D
You have given me some food for thought xulih but I wont be changing anything on this laptop as it is already finely tuned....(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back