how long do i charge leisure battery?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by russT25, Mar 19, 2012.

1. russT25

russT25 Read Only Funster

how long do i need to charge leisure battery ? my van has a mains battery charger permanently fixed inside a cupboard. This needs to be manually plugged into mains socket inside van i.e when hooked up via campsite or power lead at home.the fact that it needs plugging in makes me think that once charged fully it may cause damage to the battery or charger if not removed from mains power.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

It depends on how big the battery is 75amp/hr or 110amp/hr and the charging rate of your charger. As a general rule if you plan on charging for up to 48 hrs allowing for a small charger of say 4amp you should be fine. As you say it plugs into a socket rather than built in, it sounds like a domestic type charger rather than the 20+ amp chargers built into modern vans

If you give a few more details it would be easy to give a better figure.

Oh and dont forget to check electrolyte level before charging if its not a sealed type

3. russT25

thanks for your information big1

i have a massive pile of paperwork and user manuals that came with the van but unfortunately i don't have one for the battery charger. I will take a look to see if there is any information regarding rating etc, on the charger itself. this is all totally new to me and I'm trying to work out how everything works before i take the van on a trip so as not to get any nasty surprises.

4. russT25

p.s the battery is sealed but i need to check the a/h rating