how long can you keep petrol ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
how long can you keep petrol in the tank ?
my RV has a 350Ltr tank it is about 1/2 full i will not be using it for the
next 4/5 months will the petrol need any (if so what) Additive?
i do start the engine every week or so :Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
how long can you keep petrol in the tank ?
my RV has a 350Ltr tank it is about 1/2 full i will not be using it for the
next 4/5 months will the petrol need any (if so what) Additive?
i do start the engine every week or so :Doh:

Better to drain the tank,

just take it around the block a few times ...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dunno, but I inherited over half a tank when i bought ours...around 35/40 gallons i think.

had the rv around 16 months and barely used any petrol due to the sequential LPG system.

still have well over 1/4 tank left but started burning it off with the onboard genny.

might be an idea to buy some fuel stabiliser i suppose.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
i was once chastised by a lawn mower repair chap for using 'old' petrol in the mower

over two weeks old and it looses quite a bit of its 'power' over six weeks (which mine was) and it can be damaging to the engine...but that was in a small mower engine, so may be different in a big beastie of an engine

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
petrol is a petroleum spirit i don't think that over the winter it will do much harm cold it dose not evaporate as readily but a full tank would be best this will stop condensation build up in the tank fill it to the neck
i use work over seas and sum times i was away for six months at a time
and never had a problem using this method but use to have problems when i left half a tank with water in the Carib pleas do ask a qualified motor engineer but draining your tank will encourage rust in the tank and good luck

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
petrol is a petroleum spirit i don't think that over the winter it will do much harm cold it dose not evaporate as readily but a full tank would be best this will stop condensation build up in the tank fill it to the neck
i use work over seas and sum times i was away for six months at a time
and never had a problem using this method but use to have problems when i left half a tank with water in the Carib pleas do ask a qualified motor engineer but draining your tank will encourage rust in the tank and good luck

wish i could afford to Bill.....£425 to fill it from empty :Eeek::Sad:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi MHL, duno about the RV but I was searching the garage for stuff and found half a gallon of petrol that must be 5/6 yrs old the other day- worked fine in the lawnmower :thumb:
If you are only talking 4 mts between use I would not bother after all first use will see it all replaced :winky:
terry

Gismo

Free Member
Nov 13, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
Exp
When we sold our boat my little 650 Honda generator was dumped in my garage with a half tank of unleaded petrol in it, 11 years later when moving house I stumbled across it, covered in dust and looking rather sad. So I dusted it off and thought I'd see if it was worth keeping. I opened the choke, pulled the starter cord 3 or 4 times and hey presto it burst into life.

It was a great advert for Honda generators and blew the comment that unleaded fuel degrades over a short period of time out of the window ::bigsmile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The only thing with old gasoline is that it does tend to oxidise and you get gum formation which can clog things up a bit if you're unlucky. Fuel treatment is probably a good idea, though like 90% of the population never do that to the mower and it works ok! Have a good weekend:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I leave mine over the winter

I leave my RV over the winter with what it has on board.. about 2/3rd full at the moment.. I do run the engine every week to 10 days as I do the generator.. have done this for years on various motorhomes and day vans.. The fuel seems to be OK.. once back in use I soon have to refill the tank... but as said it costs a lot to fill a yank up... even a quart of a tank is over £100 best way.

Bob

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
It's only normally the additives that the suppliers put in that go off, not normally the petrol itself so should be ok.

If you do get sludge, it would sink to the bottom and not get dragged through the pump and if it did filters would protect the engine.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Would not worry had a motorbike that developed a problem with the frame, sold for number plate but put petrol into another bike ran fine, it had stood for at least 3 years.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's only normally the additives that the suppliers put in that go off, not normally the petrol itself so should be ok.

If you do get sludge, it would sink to the bottom and not get dragged through the pump and if it did filters would protect the engine.

Hi Craig,

Oxidation can affect the main components as well and cause gum formation. All pump gasoline needs to be tested for oxidation stability (ASTM D-525, I think) as it reacts with the air over time and not only loses light ends but also tends to form gum.

Having said that, I cannot explain why my mower will start happily after a winter but my old Honda CBR1000 would not fire after being kept for 2 months - drained all the fuel, put fresh fuel in and fired up first time.......

Here is a Link Removed that may help

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
motorhomelover
It would not bother me over the 4/5 months...petrol left in the tank.
These are some of the items I have that are petrol .. 2 x ride on mowers..2 x flymo mowers...1 x flymo hedge trimmer... three lawn strimmers of different sizes ...2 x rotorvators large and small....3 chainsaws of different sizes.... 1 x 13hp 4" large branch shredder...1 x hole borer...3 x generators. ...... all my life I have never discarded any fuel or emptied or removed or added Fuel Stabilizer ......I have never had any problems with any petrol engines yet..............change oil...yes..change filters /air and oil...yes... a odd spark plug over 40 + years...job done:thumb:.most of my petrol engines have stood over the winter some a lot longer...

:Doh:Drain OFF:Eeek::Doh: Fuel Stabilizer:Eeek:

I have also maintained a quite a few mowers for friends and neighbours and farmers over the years...+ rebuilt and maintained my motorbikes I use to have.........if the engine was stood for a very long time from when last used....the pistons could become dry in the barrels, I would just put a little redex in and turn engine over with plugs out...but 4/5 months ? just turn engine over every couple of weeks if it is possible :thumb:

Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back