How intelligent are speed cameras? (2 Viewers)

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Are speed cameras set to a specific speed for all vehicles or can they distinguish between different vehicles with different limits?

Our MH is in the "over 3.05 tonnes max unladen weight" class and so has a limit of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual. Do the cameras know this from my reg number?

I don't go over these limits (uses too much fuel apart from anything else) but I just wondered - anyone know?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
One of the early Gatso cameras could detect size and flash at a lower speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Speed cameras wind me up really. So they are a safety device eh? But they only manage to 'safety' vehicles for about a hundred yards or so then vehicles become 'unsafe'. What the don't and can't detect is drink/drug drivers, uninsured, untaxed, unlicensed, drivers. Bald tyres, lights not working, the list goes on, but their cheaper than traffic cops though.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
To answer the original question, I believe the answers to be as follows:
A GATSO simply detects speed, and records the photo of any vehicle travelling above the post limt + tolerance of 10% + 2MPH, therefore in a 30 limit the camera will be triggered at 35mph. This does not take into account the ± 1% that the GATSO device is permitted for type approval.
The same applies to the TruVelo system that is also used in the UK.

Average speed cameras do exactly what they say on the tin, they record the number plate of any vehicle that has exceeded a speed limit over a distance. These are usually found in roadworks with reduced speed limits, therefore the class of vehicle is likely to be irrelevant.

Mobile Speed Checks (I refuse to call them safety cameras, since they don't detect safety, only speed) These have a video running, and an operator will check your speed. In obvious scenarios, I am sure that they will speed check against class of vehicle, for example an HGV going over 50 on a single carriageway road would be checked. Similarly a transit type van. The difficulty for the operator is Motorhomes, which come under different rules. I suppose if they were really bored they could speed check you, and then later check your vehicle rating with DVLA and decide whether to issue a NIP.

And finally the one you won't get away with, a traffic policeman manning a speed trap. They will be clued up on all the laws, so if you are speeding, you will get a ticket.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
On some single lane roads A15 to name but one they are set at 50mph new goods vehicle limit. I know several truckers who have been caught out by them when the old 40mph was in force.
Otherwise the answer is probably no to differentiating between vehicle sizes.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whatever you think or do , Just DO NOT go over 40mph going into Dover from Folkestone on the A20 as there are two speed traps one average over the whole 5 miles and the other a Kent Police money maker. They operate 24/7/365 and have caught thousands mostly locals, No real warning it is 70mph then BANG 40mph shown only on a roadworks type speed sign. It is supposedly because of the operation stack, but is going ALL the time to pay for it all with the fines.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
average speed cameras are springing up all over the place talking to a guy who installs them he said its the start of the pay per mile network which is coming to a rd near you once the technology is sorted

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The one thing you can say about average speed cameras is they work and bring down the speed of all traffic very effectively, with a few trying the plus 10% margin for a bit of excitement on the daily commute.

When they first came out you would see people slowing down for the camera then accelerating away once they were beyond it. You don't see that quite so often these days! :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Good idea? Here there is a warning just before a village or busy junction,that the speed limit is 50km.ph and is being radar or similar monitered.There will be a set/sets of traffic lights within this area,sinners are stopped,at a red Light,(Along with all the rest) as the radar/whatever is linked in. Magic,no fine or points and everybody seems to obey the set limit,simple.
Tea Bag

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi.
Good idea? Here there is a warning just before a village or busy junction,that the speed limit is 50km.ph and is being radar or similar monitered.There will be a set/sets of traffic lights within this area,sinners are stopped,at a red Light,(Along with all the rest) as the radar/whatever is linked in. Magic,no fine or points and everybody seems to obey the set limit,simple.
Tea Bag
Same in France work really well but make no money!!! they are safety cameras.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi.
Tea Bag
Yup, I love thaat system, it works really well. But I have always wondered why the Portuguese drivers totally ignore the speed limit, but then obediently wait at a red light! Totally baffles me :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Whatever you think or do , Just DO NOT go over 40mph going into Dover from Folkestone on the A20 as there are two speed traps one average over the whole 5 miles and the other a Kent Police money maker. They operate 24/7/365 and have caught thousands mostly locals, No real warning it is 70mph then BANG 40mph shown only on a roadworks type speed sign. It is supposedly because of the operation stack, but is going ALL the time to pay for it all with the fines.
Yes, that very nearly caught me out. All the lorries stacked up had obscured the first 40mph sign almost completely (I reviewed the dashcam footage). The next sign I saw immediately had a yellow vulture array above it. Emergency braking brought me down to 40 just in time.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
The mobile speed checks certainly know what category you are in.
I had the joy of attending a speed awareness course after doing 70 on a dual carriageway in my work van :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Fair enough if stack is on otherwise ****em. No chance of me paying nor of poncing about on an empty dual carriage way at 8am for a load of tossers out to make money:
It would have helped if the signs were actually upright. Scum of the earth the lot of them.:mad:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The one thing you can say about average speed cameras is they work and bring down the speed of all traffic very effectively, with a few trying the plus 10% margin for a bit of excitement on the daily commute.

When they first came out you would see people slowing down for the camera then accelerating away once they were beyond it. You don't see that quite so often these days! :)

You can always change lanes after each camera has been passed.

The license to operate this system was for one camera to cover one lane, or was originally not aware of it having been changed :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
If they were " average speed " cameras then if you were in a 60 limit & passed the first at 30 & the second at 90 then you would not be committing an offence as the " average speed " is 60. They are speed cameras.Try passing the first at 80 mph & then reducing to 40, you'll still get summons for exceeding the limit. money makers nothing else.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Even though I've been caught out I don't have a huge problem with them. Wether average or not..
I'm more concerned about these new weighing ones to be honest ...

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
New ? It was rumoured years ago,they had a weight device/measurer in the A1 before Normans Cross,south bound and lorries used to get pulled into a lay bye just before. Not wanting to cause any extra trouble for the "Wheel tappers/Customs and excise/DHS,monitering chaps",i used to go down alongside another lorry in the middle lane...... Sometimes,an officer on his m/cycle,would turn me around and esc ort me back to the wieghbridge...DOH!!
Win some,lose some,a long time ago,i used to divided money paid in fines,into sins commited,(Including Log Book "Adjustment")i was happy with the Sin to Pounds Ratio. That does NOT mean i condone Sinning,it was a different time then.
Tea Bag

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You can always change lanes after each camera has been passed.

The license to operate this system was for one camera to cover one lane, or was originally not aware of it having been changed :)
They are type approved across lanes so changing lanes will not help.........

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
If they were " average speed " cameras then if you were in a 60 limit & passed the first at 30 & the second at 90 then you would not be committing an offence as the " average speed " is 60. They are speed cameras.Try passing the first at 80 mph & then reducing to 40, you'll still get summons for exceeding the limit. money makers nothing else.
Just for anyone who doesn't know, they work by using a distance/time calculation to determine the average speed over the whole stretch between two cameras and not the average of the speeds at time of passing each camera.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Driving up the M1 recently same with the M25, lorries are a real pain and 70mph doesn't give enough spare to keep away from them. Three lanes of lorries attempting to overtake with the outside lane congested with max speeders you end up with frustration and congestion.
Resolution would be to up the max speed to 80mph and restrict lorries to the inside lane only. Sorted....(y)

I always said when they started widening the M25 to 4 lanes that lorries should have been only allowed in the inside 2 as before. Coaches are another one that should be banned from the outer lane since they have limited them to 65mph.

according to this article the issue is the adblue equivalent being increased when the vehicle is being tested. This of course doesn't make any difference to performance or fuel consumption and on the radio this morning it was said that the fix will be software only.

I think the hard point will come when the vehicles are re-tested and prove to have higher emissions meaning they were potentially put in the wrong tax brackets for VED and company car taxes. If the worlds governments decide to cash in on that then owners will no doubt (rightly) expect VW to pick up the bill... that could be costly but no doubt is a rounding error in the groups overall profits.

The biggest problem for VAG will be if it turns out they were the only manufacturer behaving in this way consumers and investors will lose trust in the brands. The end result could be catastrophic from a business perspective - will they enjoy being another GM company....
Well, for those of you with Adblu motors, what do you think happens if you run out ? It doesn't switch off & coast to a halt until it is refilled. It just runs as before. So.................. what do you think will happen/ is happening farther down the chain ?:unsure: People will/are just running them without the additive.:(
Defeats the object a bit doesn't it ? I have actually hired lorries that use Adblu & on collecting them have found empty adblu tanks.

They are type approved across lanes so changing lanes will not help.........

Just take the number plates off! no points£60 fine , 7 days to correct.:LOL:
Failing that use a central locking modulator& modify therear plates so the hinge & connect to the auto-door locking so that when you pull away ,doors lock & rear plate moves to horizontal. (y):LOL::LOL:

Just for anyone who doesn't know, they work by using a distance/time calculation to determine the average speed over the whole stretch between two cameras and not the average of the speeds at time of passing each camera.
Yes but it isn't measuring average speed when you can be below the average overall but have exceeded the limit when passing one camera; & therefore receive a penalty. Therefore it is not measuring " average speed" .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ohh

When did that happen, wasnt so a year or so back from what i recall
Quite some time back; only the original ones were single lane. Also, you never know which cameras on the array are 'live" and neither do the traffic cops. It will be any two of them. Sometimes you might see the infra red light glowing dimly at night but I haven't seen that on the very new small ones. Average speed camera data is compared with registration and vehicle class so over 3.5 tonnes on a dual carriageway (for example) and you might struggle to prove that your vehicle is under the 3.05 tonne unladen weight...........

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Yes but it isn't measuring average speed when you can be below the average overall but have exceeded the limit when passing one camera; & therefore receive a penalty. Therefore it is not measuring " average speed" .

That wouldn't happen from average speed cameras alone. Further reading about the specs camera here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back