How intelligent are speed cameras?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by philw111, Sep 30, 2015.

1. philw111

philw111 Funster

Are speed cameras set to a specific speed for all vehicles or can they distinguish between different vehicles with different limits?

Our MH is in the "over 3.05 tonnes max unladen weight" class and so has a limit of 50mph on single carriageways and 60 on dual. Do the cameras know this from my reg number?

I don't go over these limits (uses too much fuel apart from anything else) but I just wondered - anyone know?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

One of the early Gatso cameras could detect size and flash at a lower speed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. markh

markh

They'll be as many urban myths about speed cameras as there are about being gassed in your motorhome

• Like Like x 5
  5. philw111

philw111 Funster

Thanks @ScotJimland - I thought someone would know. It's quite spooky how similar the question on trucknetuk is to mine :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

How intelligent are speed cameras?

Well, I've never seen one on Mastermind!!

:cooler:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Speed cameras wind me up really. So they are a safety device eh? But they only manage to 'safety' vehicles for about a hundred yards or so then vehicles become 'unsafe'. What the don't and can't detect is drink/drug drivers, uninsured, untaxed, unlicensed, drivers. Bald tyres, lights not working, the list goes on, but their cheaper than traffic cops though.

• Like Like x 6
  8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

To answer the original question, I believe the answers to be as follows:
    A GATSO simply detects speed, and records the photo of any vehicle travelling above the post limt + tolerance of 10% + 2MPH, therefore in a 30 limit the camera will be triggered at 35mph. This does not take into account the ± 1% that the GATSO device is permitted for type approval.
    The same applies to the TruVelo system that is also used in the UK.

Average speed cameras do exactly what they say on the tin, they record the number plate of any vehicle that has exceeded a speed limit over a distance. These are usually found in roadworks with reduced speed limits, therefore the class of vehicle is likely to be irrelevant.

Mobile Speed Checks (I refuse to call them safety cameras, since they don't detect safety, only speed) These have a video running, and an operator will check your speed. In obvious scenarios, I am sure that they will speed check against class of vehicle, for example an HGV going over 50 on a single carriageway road would be checked. Similarly a transit type van. The difficulty for the operator is Motorhomes, which come under different rules. I suppose if they were really bored they could speed check you, and then later check your vehicle rating with DVLA and decide whether to issue a NIP.

And finally the one you won't get away with, a traffic policeman manning a speed trap. They will be clued up on all the laws, so if you are speeding, you will get a ticket.

• Like Like x 2
  9. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

On some single lane roads A15 to name but one they are set at 50mph new goods vehicle limit. I know several truckers who have been caught out by them when the old 40mph was in force.
    Otherwise the answer is probably no to differentiating between vehicle sizes.

10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Whatever you think or do , Just DO NOT go over 40mph going into Dover from Folkestone on the A20 as there are two speed traps one average over the whole 5 miles and the other a Kent Police money maker. They operate 24/7/365 and have caught thousands mostly locals, No real warning it is 70mph then BANG 40mph shown only on a roadworks type speed sign. It is supposedly because of the operation stack, but is going ALL the time to pay for it all with the fines.

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

average speed cameras are springing up all over the place talking to a guy who installs them he said its the start of the pay per mile network which is coming to a rd near you once the technology is sorted

12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The one thing you can say about average speed cameras is they work and bring down the speed of all traffic very effectively, with a few trying the plus 10% margin for a bit of excitement on the daily commute.

When they first came out you would see people slowing down for the camera then accelerating away once they were beyond it. You don't see that quite so often these days! :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Good idea? Here there is a warning just before a village or busy junction,that the speed limit is 50km.ph and is being radar or similar monitered.There will be a set/sets of traffic lights within this area,sinners are stopped,at a red Light,(Along with all the rest) as the radar/whatever is linked in. Magic,no fine or points and everybody seems to obey the set limit,simple.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Same in France work really well but make no money!!! they are safety cameras.

• Like Like x 4
  15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yup, I love thaat system, it works really well. But I have always wondered why the Portuguese drivers totally ignore the speed limit, but then obediently wait at a red light! Totally baffles me :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yes, that very nearly caught me out. All the lorries stacked up had obscured the first 40mph sign almost completely (I reviewed the dashcam footage). The next sign I saw immediately had a yellow vulture array above it. Emergency braking brought me down to 40 just in time.

17. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

The mobile speed checks certainly know what category you are in.
    I had the joy of attending a speed awareness course after doing 70 on a dual carriageway in my work van :(

18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Fair enough if stack is on otherwise ****em. No chance of me paying nor of poncing about on an empty dual carriage way at 8am for a load of tossers out to make money:
    It would have helped if the signs were actually upright. Scum of the earth the lot of them.:mad:

19. richr

richr Funster

You can always change lanes after each camera has been passed.

The license to operate this system was for one camera to cover one lane, or was originally not aware of it having been changed :)

20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

If they were " average speed " cameras then if you were in a 60 limit & passed the first at 30 & the second at 90 then you would not be committing an offence as the " average speed " is 60. They are speed cameras.Try passing the first at 80 mph & then reducing to 40, you'll still get summons for exceeding the limit. money makers nothing else.

• Like Like x 1