How hot can it get

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Sundowners, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

image.jpg Hopefully this day will be the last of the heatwave. 111 degrees

2. Vic

Vic Funster

I bet the locals are still wearing jumpers or coats!

3. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Think last night was the worst I've experienced this summer, didn't drop below 30 degrees C and not a breath of air, not comfortable sleeping conditions.
    Been doing a little work outside until around 11am but thats it after that. Between the two of us we can easily drink 8-10 Ltrs of water a day. Other than going out socially can't remember the last time I wore a shirt.

@Vic clothes are in short supply on many of the ladies out here, Have to wear sun glasses so Emma can't see where I'm looking:winky:

Heading North in a couple of weeks, soon be complaining then about the cold.

Shawn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Are you at my house ? :giggler:

5. JJ

JJ Funster

Woosies...

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sundowners

Suppose you spent the day in your pool? We spent it under a nebulizado (mist\fogger spray).

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

Screenshot_2016-09-06-19-59-24.png
    Its cooling off nicely here and the beer is very very cold.
    Cheers
    Ed

8. mick noe

mick noe Funster

86 in the van earlier cooling off a bit now 78 not far from Sarlat

9. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

I'll be there next week...... It'll be raining then..:unsure:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Yorick

Yorick Funster

It often gets that hot in Portugal and Spain, but folk still go there and surprised by the heat.

It's a rather splendid 28 - 31 max, here every day :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJ

JJ Funster

Having been hit by a series of diverse mechanical breakdowns in the last few days and, despite it being quite warm, even for a proper rufty tufty, I set out to sort some of these troubles out.

I did pop into the pool at the start of the day (noon) and again at the end of the day (8pm, when the pool thermometer gave a reading of 30° C) but in the in between time, I experienced one of the most frustrating days ever.

The guy I had down to fix the little mower was on holiday. (25 kms drive). The front bicyle tyre is still flat as the chosen supermarket (another 20 kms futher on) did not stock inner tubes. The NOS mifi, despite having a two year guarantee, couldn't be replaced (warranty didn't cover the battery)

20160903_183457.jpg

It was a twenty five minute walk in the sun to find the shop....

I didn't buy a replacement, as the newer NOS wifi didn't have ariel sockets. Old one still works.

At the MEO shop (another 20 minutes to find) The mifi I bought (because I was told it would give better internet at QMJ) didn't work. After spending an hour and a half in the shop (after purchase) trying to get it to work, the assistant told me the network was down because of the wild fires. I left the shop having been told it should be alright in a day or two... maybe!

I couldn't buy as much fresh milk as usual because the main fridge is struggling in this weather (needs a service and new fans) and the Engel compressor fridge is a tad on the small side.

Back at QMJ, NOS now seems to be working fine (signal goodish like it was before last week) whereas MEO, although now actually working) is as slow as some central defenders I have seen recently. €80 more or less down the pan.

I was so fed up and hot, I didn't treat myself to a Burger King Double Whopper (with extra cheese and bacon but no pickle) and now I wish I had.

But... the pool is truly magnificent and has totally improved my life here during this pretty warm period... (meant to be 40°C tomorrow.)

Best €50 (plus extras) I have spent in a long, long, long time.

Intex Pools Rool. You two really must get one for your rear lawn (on the edge of the forest).

So just need to get the little mower back, the big mower fixed (new engine and starter motor arriving from Blighty in due course), pick up the chainsaw as soon the chain oiler is sorted, service the fridge, source and fit a new inner tube to the bicycle (formerly owned by "Lance" Davies) and check why my water heater is behaving oddly and all will be back to peace and harmony here in Paradise.

JJ :cool:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

JJ,would you believe I have a fan running 24/7 on the fridge in the utility room!! How weird is that,set me thinking what must they do in Africa??
    Going down to a very comfortable 33c today in the Alentejo,guess I will have to dig a sweater out after 44c yesterday and the day before.:love:

• Like Like x 2
  13. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

We new it would be hot but having not lived in a hot country before wanted to experience a whole summer in Portugal. We needed to know if we could cope with it if we decide to settle down here for a while. A few things we've learnt and will do difarantly next year.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sundowners

We were under no illusions that it was going to be hot, but it has been like this since end of June. Even the locals here in Central Portugal say it is unusual to be hot for this length of time.

15. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

What part of central Portugal are you relaxing in?

16. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I wonder how many funsters still work in Fahrenheit? I personally wouldn't have a clue what 111F was like. Now Celsius I understand totally. Seems to the that Celsius make more sense, 100c boiling point of water 0c water freezes is easier to understand.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Sundowners

We are near Oliveira do Hospital, where are you?

18. Sundowners

Me too, but the gauge was set on F at the time the photo was taken, but the other half prefers it that way. To give you some idea , we changed it to see and it was showing 44C at one time, and this was not in the sun by the way as some people gauge it.

19. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

If you were trying to make me jealous then you have succeeded:LOL:. 21c here but no sun at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sundowners

The only bit of rain we have seen this summer was not enough to lay the dust,
    about the only cloud was smoke from wild fires (that did give us a little relief from the sun for most of a day)