How heavy is my Minne Winnie? (1 Viewer)

billet-brain

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Norwich
Funster No
MH
C Class
I've just about finished restoring my 73 Dodge Minne Winnie, and wish to take out breakdown cover. Most firms have a 3.5T weight limit. I know it's wishful thinking, but the original sales brochure lists the weight as 6.460#. I can only assume the '#' means 'LB's', which would put it at less than 3.5T ( 1 ton = 2200lb). I must say tho, it feels bloody heavy. Surely '#' doesn't mean kilos, does it?

Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) breakdown service? I am not a member of any clubs, and just want UK roadside and recovery.

I will post some pics soon if anyone is interested:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I reckon the 6.460 is tons. Have a look for the i d plate which will show gvw axle weights etc. Probably find it in one of the door frames.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i always though the americans only list things in pounds (lbs) not tons.
i could be wrong and 6460lbs certainly doesnt sound heavy enough for an american C class.

Surely '#' doesn't mean kilos, does it?
certainly wont be kg in america....they're only just coming off cubic inch's for engine sizing...

ps....RAC Arrival (via the c&cc) have no size/weight limit for breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Will defo be Pounds. As its a classic the weight your reading may be the weight of the chassis only before the coversion was done.

Only way to be sure is to load it up and take it to a weigh station. But it will defo be over 3.5 tonnnes

We use Arrival from the RAC through the C&CC as it has no weight or length limit.:thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
go to winniebagos site and at the very bottom of the page there is a link to all the old and present models you should find what your looking for there i did with my winnie warrior gives you old lit and lots of spec sheets etc mine is a 21 foot one and thats 4 ton odd so yours is going to be over 3.5 t :thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
thought id be kind Link Removed may help :thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
or even this one Link Removed

OP
OP
B

billet-brain

Free Member
Sep 22, 2008
Norwich
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks for the info. I already have the PDF download from Winnebago and that's what says 'Weight 6,460#' which if it's IB's makes it 3 tonnes, and it it's tonnes makes it too bloody heavy! The badge in the door shut says 'GVW-8300', which if it's LB's makes it 3.77 tonnes.
... Oh yes, and I'm not a member of the caravan club... Help!:cry:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Thanks for the info. I already have the PDF download from Winnebago and that's what says 'Weight 6,460#' which if it's IB's makes it 3 tonnes, and it it's tonnes makes it too bloody heavy! The badge in the door shut says 'GVW-8300', which if it's LB's makes it 3.77 tonnes.
... Oh yes, and I'm not a member of the caravan club... Help!:cry:

Join!!! Its not that expensive and you wont find another breakdown cover that will do your weight for less even with the joining fee. :winky:

Might be an idea to check about the age of vehicles they will accept though before you go splashing the cash. :thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Caravan club and larger MHs, mmmmm, we did that first year and were unfortunate enough to break down, the age old (and first time dispite the amount of old cars I'd had) sh1t in the carb, one and a quarter hours, and three different breakdown firms on the phone each with a variety of 'we can't deal with that it too big'. Frankley in the middle of the entry to a large roundabout on the edges of Brum on the thursday before the easter bank holiday all I really wanted was a van with flashing lights, or even something to pull us round the corner, chap and has 14 year old boy offered to push:ROFLMAO: but.
Long and short, fixed and running no sign of recovery people, no apology from May Day etc etc etc.
Joined C&CC, and RAC arrival, which being I've had the cars with the RAC for 24 years don't know why I did Caravan Club/May Day anyway. That said, I haven't had to test them yet but a few have said they've had good experience in the past.

PS We started with a '77 C Class Brougham Coach on the Dodge M400 chassis, 22 ft and GVW 10500 LBs.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back