How hard to learn ukulele?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by reckless, Apr 3, 2015.

1. reckless

reckless Funster

Is it easy-ish? Brian has expressed interest more than once and I'm not sure whether to buy one for him. He hasn't played string before, sax was his instrument.
    Welcome your opinions
    Karen

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Like many things easy to do but difficult and requiring a lot of practise and skill to do well. :)

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It is a brilliant instrument played well but I guess, based on my guitar playing efforts it wouldn't be hard to learn a few chords. Proper finger picking would be a different matter. An electronic gizmo to tune it would be useful.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I've struggled to make the transition from flute (pretty good at school and college but not played since then) to uke.

In all honesty though, I'm probably not consistent enough in practising regularly, which as with all things is important. You can get fairly cheap ones (as I did) just to have a go to see if it's something that you can get on with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

it is easy to play a tune in 10 mins; after that only dedication and practice, plus the all important earplugs for anyone else around. Not to everyones taste but can become addictive.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

Bloody hard!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

It is quite easy to learn enough chords to be able to strum along to many songs (y) After all,more songs have been written using C,F and G than any others.
    It is an ideal instrument to carry in a M/Home,the Funsters Band plays at many of the main Show rallies and Barrie and Janine often give workshops.
    There are 2 main problems to contend with-it is addictive :) and there is a dreadfull disease called Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome-there is no known cure :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 4
  8. MikeandCarolyn

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  9. reckless

reckless Funster

Thanks for replies, I'll watch vids when he's out and see how I feel.
    Karen

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I think they may be catching. SWMBO has bought one, together with the electronic tuning gizmo. That's about as far as she's got.

11. reckless

reckless Funster

This is what I'm afraid of.....that it will be something else that seemed like a good idea at the time!

12. JJ

JJ Funster

It appears to me to be pretty easy to play a uke...

Just pick it up... put fingers on frets in random places... with other hand "strum" the strings at will and wail along with the other, ear bashing, hooligans.

(Many choose to prop a sheet of music up in front of them in order to give the impression they know what song they are "playing".)

Aided by copious amounts of brain cell killing liquids, all of which have been bought for pennies and smuggled through customs after wintering abroad, your Funster audience will scream in approval, sing along with you (sometimes with the same words as you but not often) and throw money into the hat which will passed around at 2.45 am after 6 hours non stop noise.

Later on in the morning, players and audience members will emerge from their (or other people's) motorhomes, mingle and tell each other what a fantastic night they had.

The show organisers will be so impressed by the goings on that next year they will provide the Funsters with a free marquee which, because of some mistake in the office, will be pitched well away from any normal show visitors.

You know it makes sense...

Everyone should have a hobby

(And, as Funster Janine so cleverly suggested, leave an empty uke case on the step outside your van and no one will park anywhere near you as they will assume you might start "practising".)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 8
  13. MikeandCarolyn

JJ-you are awfull,but I like you :LOL::LOL:(y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Go for straight to the guitar, then you'll feel you can play any "lesser" instrument lol

15. MikeandCarolyn

Problem with guitarists is that they tend to indulge in a lot of 'Fret board W***ery' We of the "lesser" instrument enjoy the simplicity of a well constructed chord progression. :D

• Like Like x 2
  16. steevie

steevie Funster

They are so easy to play at the side of guitar. A chord that would take at least three fingers on a guitar can often be managed with just one finger on the uke. Finger picking is certainly harder,but there are hundreds of good songs that can be played with three chords. Like all instruments though, it time and dedication the decides how good you are. You can buy a really good uke for under £50.

17. JJ

JJ Funster

All of Status Quo's stuff to start with...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  18. Stollysmith

Stollysmith Funster

I can vouch for the fact that ukulele playing is addictive but collecting them is even more so. I started off by joining Kidderminster SUSA group who are very encouraging and bought a tenor as the smaller soprano and concert sizes were too small for my big hands. I then bought a baritone and restrung it to the standard GCEA tuning without telling SWMBO who just thought my tenor had grown ! Next I thought I would like to try the George Formby `sound` and found a banjolele but it was a bit harsh to the ears for my liking. This was then sold and replaced with a tenor guitar which has 4 strings rather than 6 and restrung it with baritone strings to give a guitar sound and sustain but without having to learn new chords ! A lot of beer and red wine has passed my lips since the age of 17 and I am too old to learn 2 sets of chords. Anyway, we have now moved down to Bristol and have found 2 bands down here to play with and looking forward to many more gigs. Give them a try, you can never have too many ukuleles !

19. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

You must have met the beautiful Geraldine (aka Funster @cliffandger ) at the Bristol uke jam?

This was the performance after a couple of workshops which we ran recently at the Acoustic Festival in Uttoxeter. Some people had just one hour's tuition before they got on stage with us :)

• Like Like x 5
  20. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

@Janine - I accompanied Denise at Norden Farm - uke and accordion- what a combination! Your video is brilliant by the way! @Stollysmith - have you joined the Bristol Uke Jam?

• Like Like x 1