How fast does your waste come out? (2 Viewers)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the flip side... Mine is about 100mm and it was a total bugger finding a decent way to connect a pipe to it when we are on serviced long term pitches !!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Its a rigid pipe that comes straight from the base of the tank to the side of the van. Maybe I should let the tank fill more, but the sensor has been faulty so I have been emptying every day. Still takes forever till its all gone.
I might try some water softener too, when I took the van back to the dealer to fix the sensors, they dropped the waste tank and cleaned it out. It didnt look ( or smell) too pretty in there, and that was when it was only just over 2 months old!

I've seen plenty of other vans in France that just open the valve and there is a deluge of grey water that lasts perhaps a minute or more, while mine just dribbles out. :Blush:

Allan

Allan if it just dribbles out you must see a doctor at once...:Doh: It could be a prostrate problem.

No joking apart, if you don't have much in your grey waste tank then it won't come out with a force....and most grey water smells ...a because of soap...cooking oils / fats and foods them that do get into your tank .....
I would not worry about it ..as long as you think there is no blockage......don't forget the people that made or drilled your tank for the waste outlet may have left some waste plastic inside( just a outside thought)...
Now the waste water sensor that maybe flashing....mine does even when it is empty as many other motorhomes do...it is only a guide and not a very good one....i empty my grey nearly every day if parked up I would use buckets....leave some water in the grey tank with some bio washing liquid a drive around with it inside to wash the inside of the tank you may find your sensor works again :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
After a few too many pints it is like pissing through your asshole

Oh whoops. Miss read the post. :ROFLMAO:

But still very true

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Mel, I like the idea of putting in some bio to clean the tank. It's all working fine now, just takes a long time to empty and there is no blockage, it was checked when the tank was dropped and cleaned.
I might cut the waste pipe just by the tank and put a flexible hose there, then I can lower it to the drain and get the water out quicker. The fresh tank has a flexible hose and I can empty 100 litres out of that one in no time.
Oh well, seems like it's quite common to use such a small pipe. I'm glad it's not just me
Allan

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Allan
Have you checked your tap may be a bit blocked, I have had that in the past, what I have done now is removed the tap and fitted a screw on end so no blockage possible at the tap end. Pete

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
2 inch gate valve, standard fit! No hanging about with a Chausson!::bigsmile:

I thought I had a "big one" cos it goes like Sh*t......:Blush:

but I just measured and its only 2", (diameter that is :winky:) same size as Jon's, with a gate valve too so when it goes, boy does it go ....:Eeek:

::bigsmile:

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
grey waste draining

Had the same problem with our grey waste draining . Same as yours the tank took about 10 mins to empty . I knew there would be no build up of food waste or grease causing this.Done the deed one day while the tank was draining >> Crawled underneath , fingers in to the drain hole , lo and behold felt a bit of plastic moving about . Managed to remove it . What was it ? >>> the piece of material left from when the tank was built/ fitted and the drain hole bored out. From using a saw cutter bit , the entire diameter piece had been left in the tank . Therefore pressure pulled it down to the drain hole , partially blocking it when the tank was being emptied .>>> After removal of that , tank empties in a minute or two.:Smile:

I had the same problem with my C.I. carioca, when the hole in the waste tank was drilled out the old piece of plastic was left in the tank causing slow drainage, I had to remove the tank to repair the floor due to water ingress, I managed to get the plastic core out through the hole that it was drilled out from. yokel John.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
having built a few of my own motorhomes, this is a design issue

fill a plastic bottle full of water. if you pour it out by tipping on its side it flows fast. turn it upside down and it takes longer, whilst glugging and taking in air. this is because emptying the bottle or tank is dependant on how fast air flows in to replace the water.

fresh tanks always have a breather hose or use the filler point to take air in. most waste tanks dont.

i found that adding a breather hose in by teeing into a waste pipe and running a flexible hose up above the chassis solved the problem. it also vented the tank stopping waste smells coming from the plug holes.

in my current van, there is no breather pipe, so empties slowly. we also have to put bio washing liquid every few weeks of use

when i get a chance i will be adapting the waste hoses to include a breather

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
having built a few of my own motorhomes, this is a design issue

fill a plastic bottle full of water. if you pour it out by tipping on its side it flows fast. turn it upside down and it takes longer, whilst glugging and taking in air. this is because emptying the bottle or tank is dependant on how fast air flows in to replace the water.

fresh tanks always have a breather hose or use the filler point to take air in. most waste tanks dont.

i found that adding a breather hose in by teeing into a waste pipe and running a flexible hose up above the chassis solved the problem. it also vented the tank stopping waste smells coming from the plug holes.

in my current van, there is no breather pipe, so empties slowly. we also have to put bio washing liquid every few weeks of use

when i get a chance i will be adapting the waste hoses to include a breather

Good point, but how is the replacement air entering through the sink/shower/whb prevented from releasing the pressure? Do you think the water in, for instance, my van's traps is sucked out because I have a good sized outlet and, consequently, a fast flow, but not on a drain that empties slowly.

That's made me think of something else. Perhaps that's why the traps need topping up quite regularly on mine?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All my sinks/plug holes have silly over engineered smell traps that make a very effective air tight seal..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Good point, but how is the replacement air entering through the sink/shower/whb prevented from releasing the pressure? Do you think the water in, for instance, my van's traps is sucked out because I have a good sized outlet and, consequently, a fast flow, but not on a drain that empties slowly.

That's made me think of something else. Perhaps that's why the traps need topping up quite regularly on mine?
exactly that....the suction pulls the water from the trap as air is sucked in, but there is quite a bit of resistance. putting the plugs in seals the pipes and stops air being sucked in

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The inside diameter on our waste pipe is 40mm (around an inch and a half) and it empties the tank at a fair old rate.
So much so that it makes a real mess of the layby and causes spray on the vehicles behind as I drive along the road. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back