How fast does your waste come out? (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Auto sleeper say the waste pipework on my van ( and other new models) is ( and I quote from their literature) "Large bore Waste Pipework for efficient drainage", but it quite obviously isn't. Mine is about 3cm, just over an inch, and takes 10-15 minutes to drain. Compare that to a lot of European vans that seem to have 3 or 4 inch pipes and can empty out in a couple of minutes, muggins here feels stupid when theres a queue at the drain point, my van looks like it has prostate trouble! :Blush:

Is this size pipework common for UK built vans? I might have a go at increasing the bore size.

Allan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unles you increase the bore size of the waste tank . you will be wasting your time .
make them wait . after all theyt cant be chucking towels down on the beach while waiting to empty their waste water .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
The waste pipe on my French-built Rapido is 30mm, same as yours.
Mine drains quite quickly to start with as it has the pressure of all the water in the tank behind it. As the tank gets almost empty though it slows to a trickle.
If there is a queue behind me I don't bother waiting for the last dribbles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
enlarging the pipework wont help....the hole in the tank is still 30mm.

i have never seen a motorhome with a 3" or 4" bore grey waste outlet.....even Americans are only 1-3/4" grey and 3" black.

the problem could be a build up of fat (cooking and soap) and minute food deposits around the tank outlet and in the dump pipe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
It has done this from new, and its only 3 months old. Obviously, if I increased the bore of the pipe, I would put a larger bore connector in the tank.
Nice to know that your Rapido has the same size pipe, mine empties like yours, fast at first then lots of dribbling.
I guess I just need to take more time emptying the cassette and filling the freshwater tank.
Allan

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure how long my waste tank takes to drain.

I just open it when I set off from a site and by the time I get home it is empty:thumb::winky:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Waste flow

Auto sleeper say the waste pipework on my van ( and other new models) is ( and I quote from their literature) "Large bore Waste Pipework for efficient drainage", but it quite obviously isn't. Mine is about 3cm, just over an inch, and takes 10-15 minutes to drain. Compare that to a lot of European vans that seem to have 3 or 4 inch pipes and can empty out in a couple of minutes, muggins here feels stupid when theres a queue at the drain point, my van looks like it has prostate trouble! :Blush:

Is this size pipework common for UK built vans? I might have a go at increasing the bore size.

Allan

Our pipe is the same as everyone's here and our experience is the same too; fast at first then trickle as it gets near empty. Obviously worse if the van is on a slope. But we tend to use a waste hog and just empty that every day, then when we come to decamp, the job is already done. They take up a lot of space but we have found that it fits perfectly, thin end first, in the drivers side, middle storage space between the floors.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
How fast does my waste come out you ask, if I've been on the local Bitter the night before....very fast:ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Interesting question, Sc05t just posted this under heading Lincoln show was this you, quote: Its drivers side grey tape was flowing full bore onto the road, water was going everywhere. ?

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

i have never seen a motorhome with a 3" or 4" bore grey waste outlet.....even Americans are only 1-3/4" grey and 3" black.

Look at an Autotrail... Great big pipe on mine.. Comes out like a " raging river"... :thumb:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi on our auto sleeper rienza it takes ages to empty the waste. The pipe looks like 3/4" over flow pipe that it comes from. We use the waste tank cleaner on a regular basis recommended by dave newel but its still slow. Just got used to it now. Ivory55

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not sure how long my waste tank takes to drain.

I just open it when I set off from a site and by the time I get home it is empty:thumb::winky:

Then you don't want it coming out too fast or people will notice:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just take a few roundabouts fast and mine empties quickly:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
ours is 40mm and that is fine....but I have reduced the outlet to 25mm wth a tap to make it easyer for me... and that goooooooooshes out fast ::bigsmile: so you may have a little blockage say some grease or food...or is yours a flexy pipe and is it sagging in the middle???mine is rigid house hold 40mm fitted pipe by rapido..check your route the pipe takes from the grey tank to exit hole and look for places that could be a problem

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It has done this from new, and its only 3 months old. Obviously, if I increased the bore of the pipe, I would put a larger bore connector in the tank.
Nice to know that your Rapido has the same size pipe, mine empties like yours, fast at first then lots of dribbling.
I guess I just need to take more time emptying the cassette and filling the freshwater tank.
Allan

Just set your grey running while you do the toilette and fresh water ....:Doh:job done.....OR GET A LONG VACUUM TYPE PIPE ABOUT 4 TO 6 MTR LONG AND STAND AWAY FROM GREY WASTE POINT SO OTHERS CAN EMPTY..... RUN YOUR LENGTH OF FLEXY HOSE OUT THEN YOU HAVE ALL TIME IN THE WORLDTO EMPTY AT YOUR LEISURE...simples

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
enlarging the pipework wont help....the hole in the tank is still 30mm.

Mine are both 3" papa

Ian

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Mostly, if we're touring, I empty the tanks daily. I use a collapsible bucket that easily fits under the grey water outlet. I've also seen people use a plasterer's bucket, presumably because they are very flexible and will squeeze under the outlet.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Rv Black Waste
Speed is directly proportionate to the size of the split and the number of people watching:Eeek:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
so you may have a little blockage say some grease or food...or is yours a flexy pipe and is it sagging in the middle???mine is rigid house hold 40mm fitted pipe by rapido..check your route the pipe takes from the grey tank to exit hole and look for places that could be a problem

Its a rigid pipe that comes straight from the base of the tank to the side of the van. Maybe I should let the tank fill more, but the sensor has been faulty so I have been emptying every day. Still takes forever till its all gone.
I might try some water softener too, when I took the van back to the dealer to fix the sensors, they dropped the waste tank and cleaned it out. It didnt look ( or smell) too pretty in there, and that was when it was only just over 2 months old!

I've seen plenty of other vans in France that just open the valve and there is a deluge of grey water that lasts perhaps a minute or more, while mine just dribbles out. :Blush:

Allan

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years

Allan

Had the same problem with our grey waste draining . Same as yours the tank took about 10 mins to empty . I knew there would be no build up of food waste or grease causing this.Done the deed one day while the tank was draining >> Crawled underneath , fingers in to the drain hole , lo and behold felt a bit of plastic moving about . Managed to remove it . What was it ? >>> the piece of material left from when the tank was built/ fitted and the drain hole bored out. From using a saw cutter bit , the entire diameter piece had been left in the tank . Therefore pressure pulled it down to the drain hole , partially blocking it when the tank was being emptied .>>> After removal of that , tank empties in a minute or two.:Smile:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Eeek: because we keep the plugs in to stop any smells they must be removed when emptying tanks as it can cause a vacuum and slow the flow /well some would not know this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's got to be down to how much you put in, A small amount will take longer to drain, also watch out for stupid drain points that have the wrong camber so that your front end is lower than the back and you cannot get in the other way round. :Sad:

Seen a few of those all over Europe.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sigma

I have the same problem with my Sigma, Allan. I use a Fiamma Roll-Tank underneath the M/H and rarely have to store grey water on board even on an Aire.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
:Eeek: because we keep the plugs in to stop any smells they must be removed when emptying tanks as it can cause a vacuum and slow the flow /well some would not know this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

We rarely use the plugs, but all the drains have traps on them, not sure about the shower, but we never get any smell in there
Allan

mr countrynut

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
devon
Funster No
MH
class c
Exp
since 2000
mr countrynut

I have similar problem on a new Majestic,:Angry: it takes forever.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back